Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 06 is250 and it came with the stock rims. The person who owned the car before me must have hit a few curbs hard because all four rims are pretty scratched up along the tire line. The scratches extend through the paint and primer and go into the metal.

My question is what is the best way to fix up these rims? My guess would be to grind/sand down the scratches/notches smooth then get the rim powdercoated. Has anyone ever done this before, if so what were the results? what would the cost be approx to get my rims powdercoated?

·
Registered
204 Posts
the stock ISX50 wheels are not powder coated. they come in either a painted silver finish or a hyper silver finish which is extremely hard to match. i own a mobile wheel repair company and i have been trying for years to get a perfect match on those hyper silver wheels.

my suggestion to you would be to take them to a reputable wheel repair company and have them refinish them. it should be in the range of about $95-$125.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I recently purchased an 06 is250 and it came with the stock rims. The person who owned the car before me must have hit a few curbs hard because all four rims are pretty scratched up along the tire line. The scratches extend through the paint and primer and go into the metal.

My question is what is the best way to fix up these rims? My guess would be to grind/sand down the scratches/notches smooth then get the rim powdercoated. Has anyone ever done this before, if so what were the results? what would the cost be approx to get my rims powdercoated?
if its just some scratches and curbage you can repair them yourself. i remmber seeing a DIY where the guy used bondo and some spray paint to get the wheels looking like new. if matching the color is difficult you should change the color of all the wheels to match. silver wheel paint is easy to find

check this out
Wheel Scuff Repair on Alloy Wheels | How-to Guide

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.