Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I ordered stage 2 bc cams for my car and they just arrived. As I looked at them it seems that there is a scratch in the middle of the cam journals (both of them in the same spot). I don’t feel it with my fingers or my nails but I’m not sure if this is normal or not. There is a picture below showing the scratches. There is also some black stuff near it but that seems to rub off. Do you guys think this is normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
A man's fingernail is usually about 0.018" thick, and unless freshly clipped, have a rather rounded edge.

Point being, it takes a rather large scratch to detect with a fingernail. Try a razor blade (gently, obviously - to avoid further scratching).

But more important, is whether or not there is any RAISED material. If its just a scratch that hasn't pushed up any burrs or material along its sides, it won't hurt anything. If it has, it'll chew up the bearing journals in your head.

Considering what those cams cost (and they're only cast!!), I find those scratches unacceptable - regardless if it'll hurt anything or not.

·
Registered
2002 is300
659 Posts
As long as there is no raised material it'll be fine. Cams run at 1/2 the rpm and have much less pressure than your bottom end so you can get away with more. Remember if I can't see the cam bearings they're good ;) IMO those don't look like the greatest quality. When it is time for cams I will try GSC. Like others have said anything that catches a nail is considered bad.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A man's fingernail is usually about 0.018" thick, and unless freshly clipped, have a rather rounded edge.

Point being, it takes a rather large scratch to detect with a fingernail. Try a razor blade (gently, obviously - to avoid further scratching).

But more important, is whether or not there is any RAISED material. If its just a scratch that hasn't pushed up any burrs or material along its sides, it won't hurt anything. If it has, it'll chew up the bearing journals in your head.

Considering what those cams cost (and they're only cast!!), I find those scratches unacceptable - regardless if it'll hurt anything or not.
I'll take a closer look at them with your suggestions. But yea, I was a little bit surprised to see that on the cams, but I guess as long as they are fine then its ok.

·
Registered
2002 is300
659 Posts
I thought the same until I saw a bunch of scuttlebutt about GSC cams causing troubles. Here's a megathread on Subie forums about it: Stop Buying GSC and Kelford Cams - NASIOC

I've no idea if/how true it is, but I'll be doing a lot of research if/when it comes time for me to do cams.
A lot of things go into doing a cam right. I don't think I've ever seen anyone check cam end play. If your cam is pulled by say over tightening a cam pulley you could center the cam on the bucket. Also out of all those engine builders no one with throw failure numbers out there.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sucks and considering how long it takes to get BC products post COVID I’d be reluctant about sending them back. I been waiting a year for my order. GSC stock is on back order too.
Yea, I've been looking for these for months from different vendors. It seems that a lot of them got new shipments recently though. A lot of new ads on eBay and real street also has them according to their website.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree. I also agree with @Hodgdon Extreme ‘s assessment of them probably being OK to run, but it is unacceptable that a precision ground piece could make it through QC with visible marring like that. I expect more from a specialty outfit.
I see, I looked at them even more closely now and I couldn’t see or feel any ridges. Seems that they are fine. Thanks for everyone’s replies.

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
I see, I looked at them even more closely now and I couldn’t see or feel any ridges. Seems that they are fine. Thanks for everyone’s replies.
I would still report the apparent defect back to the seller/manufacture. They need to correct the issue from getting worse. Maybe they could even give you some $$$ back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts