Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, i recently bought new wheels... before buying, i followed all the fitting recommendations the board had, i got 18 x 7.5's all around wrapped in 225/40/18's and i'm getting some rubbing both in the fronts and rears! i don't understand but anyways, i called around about getting it "professionally" rolled and it costs about $200 to get them rolled... i don't think i wanna spend that much on rolling fenders so now i'm forced to do it on my own...

if anybody in the bay knows how to roll fenders and willing to help a .netter out, i'd be most appreciative... whatever compensation you would require i can accomodate just as long as it's not $200 please... lol...

btw i only rub on hard turns in the fronts and rears, so you can imagine my frustrations since getting all these suspension mods i can't even enjoy them yet because of this...

please help...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Edward, we can talk about this if we meet up at the BOS meet. I own a fender roller tool (just like the Eastwood fender roller used by the shops) and can rent it out to you for a small fee.;) I don't have much experience using it myself, but it seems very straightforward.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
bchau_gt said:
Edward, we can talk about this if we meet up at the BOS meet. I own a fender roller tool (just like the Eastwood fender roller used by the shops) and can rent it out to you for a small fee.;) I don't have much experience using it myself, but it seems very straightforward.
it would only work on the fronts right? you gotta shave the rear...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
1NewLexIS300 said:
it would only work on the fronts right? you gotta shave the rear...
You can use it on both the fronts and rears. You can roll the rear fender lip flat against the fender, then go further if you want to slightly flare out the fender. I may have to do this soon. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
roll your fenders meet at joes sounds awesome to me haha. I need to drop the car down a little more but I can't without at least shaving or something....no one in this area I don't think knows how to roll or shave.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bchau_gt said:
thanks bro, you got a pm...

·
Registered
548 Posts
You guys willing to let a fellow GS owner in on the fun. I just got some new wheels and rubbing like crazy on the front driver side. Dont have any rolling experience though. I can host at my home if needed I'll have beer for those who make it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was under the impression that our front fenders were already rolled..only the rears were not. I could be wrong..

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
bchau_gt said:
You can use it on both the fronts and rears. You can roll the rear fender lip flat against the fender, then go further if you want to slightly flare out the fender. I may have to do this soon. :)
you sure about that? glenn shaved the wifey's IS and John at Exact shaved the rear off lunatictokyo's..........both rolled the fronts, but shaved the rears........

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
1NewLexIS300 said:
you sure about that? glenn shaved the wifey's IS and John at Exact shaved the rear off lunatictokyo's..........both rolled the fronts, but shaved the rears........
You can either roll or shave the rears, but you're right, most people will just shave the rears because it'll provide more clearance. You can still roll the rear fenders after shaving to flare them out a little as well.:)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
JAEohEN said:
i heard from a friend of a friends uncle's brother, that rolling fenders requires removing the front bumper...brian...where are you?
You don't have to remove the front bumper, just don't roll that close to the bumper. I've only use the roller once so far (on Rolo's car) for practice. It was pretty easy to use, you just have to make sure you heat up the paint and go slow. Only other thing is that you may need a wheel spacer for the fronts (to clear the brake caliper); otherwise, you can just use the bolts that come with the roller tool as spacers, which is what we did.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
lol i know the bumper doesnt need to be removed....its an ongoing joke because i always tell brian/01msmIS(not bchau) to take off my front bumper for no reason....

sorry..i shoulda been more specific...haha

·
Registered
396 Posts
1newlexIS300 pretty much explained it all.

Here's the front fender rolling process:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98807&page=10&pp=15

Here's the rear shaving process:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98807&page=11&pp=15

Pretty busy doing meet stuff this week so I won't respond to PM's or this thread for the rest of this week.

Talk to me at the BOS meet and I'll tell you everything you need to know. I might even help those who ask.

b_chau and 1newlexIs300 know that. : )

·
Registered
890 Posts
Our friend has a fender roller but you have to be careful with it. Make sure you have someone who is really familiar with rolling fenders because your paint might crack.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts