Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm a new member to the forum and have been using the knowledge to find answers to fixes here, but here is a new problem. I'm not sure if anyone has answered but I'm gonna shoot here anyways.

I have a 2001 IS300 Automatic Trans.

Had it for about two years and have slowly upgraded what I can but have mostly used it a s a daily driver.

Ive been having this issue...

Sometimes when i go to start my car, the power shorts and I have to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and then sometimes it will start and sometimes it will short again but eventually it starts. It seams to happen during the colder months and I rarely have it happen during the summer.

One time it shroter and cause the key to get stuck in the ignition. I had to swap the ignition cylinder and got a new key with it. using the same fob in the old key. the problem stopped for a year and now has resurfaced.

What I've done...

Swapped out the battery for a brand new one.
Cleaned the terminal heads.
Cleaned the ground on the engine firewall

Still having it intermittently short when I turn the key to start.

Have any of you had any problems like this before. Please Help.

Mikey Nguyen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I turn the key from acc there’s power when I go to crank it the car has no power so I have to disconnect the battery and reconnect to give it power again.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
997 Posts
Are you battery cables physically corroded? Like if you look at them they might be cracked and so when you tighten them down they are not actually clamping tighter since they are physically damaged? Seems like you have a poor battery connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you battery cables physically corroded? Like if you look at them they might be cracked and so when you tighten them down they are not actually clamping tighter since they are physically damaged? Seems like you have a poor battery connection.
Yeah they a fully cranked but I can just lift the terminals off the battery even when I tighten the bolt as far as I can.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
997 Posts
Yeah they a fully cranked but I can just lift the terminals off the battery even when I tighten the bolt as far as I can.
That’s the problem. You need to replace the terminals.

Reactions: Pnut00

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This is the first place to start, poor battery contacts can cause all sorts of issues including damaging a perfectly good/new battery and damaging the ECU and other electronics with intermittent power spikes and fluctuations. Just sitting on the terminals is not a good contact, it needs to be clamped secure so you cant pull them off and is making a positive contact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the first place to start, poor battery contacts can cause all sorts of issues including damaging a perfectly good/new battery and damaging the ECU and other electronics with intermittent power spikes and fluctuations. Just sitting on the terminals is not a good contact, it needs to be clamped secure so you cant pull them off and is making a positive contact.
I ordered some replacement so I’ll start there. I also took a video of what happens so I’ll post that soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts