Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i picked up a 2001 is300 on friday, and i started it saturday and sunday no problem. On sunday we lifted up the rear to replace the parking brake shoes and took apart the passenger rear side and left it off to relace it tuesday. Sunday night i noticed the clock light by the a/c controls was still on despite the keys not being in. Today i went to start the car and the battery was completly dead. No lights or anything.i tried charging the "used" battery but it did not want to charge unless i took of the positive cable from the car.it then started charging fast. I also noticed that when i take off the negative cable and reconect it, the two abs relays click. Is this normal? Any ideas what is draining the battery? Maybe the battery itself is bad. Idk at this point.... Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put in a bigger battery and turns out the posts were contacting the hood and draining batt. Put a peice of rubber door mat over it and all better.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I’m no electrical expert but If the battery and alternator are good, most drain issues I have seen have been either some issue with aftermarket items or with incorrect wiring or earthing. I’ve seen head units and amplifiers wired up to the wrong power supply or a wire that mimics the earth instead of making a new earth drain them, I had a Honda where there was an issue with the aftermarket alarm would drain the battery in a week if the car wasn’t used.

I would start with making sure the basics are right, disconnect everything that isn’t OEM, then check the charging system and the battery is working ok. Then start looking for electrical leakage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts