Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I did a search on this but I'm not sure where the problem is so I figure i would just ask. I have a 02 IS w/ 67,000 miles, tons of audio/video stuff including JL500/1 and JL 300/4 amps with 2 JL12W3s plus a monster capacitor. I'm still on the stock alternator and battery. I've noticed these problems while driving or starting the car in the morning..

1) During hot summer days, when I'm at the stoplight, the engine would die.. but lights, radio, etc are still on. I start the car again, and it cranks up just fine.
2) If I don't drive the car for one day, the next day, the car would start slowly as if theres no juice in the battery. However, after it starts, I'll drive it around for 20 min, stop, turn the car off, start it again..it starts up right away.
3) I see my battery guage drop from 13.9V to 10.9 when the car is at idle..if I turn on the dome light, start the ac, or open the windows, my speedometer lights dim..however, once i start driving, it jumps up to around 13.4V.

So, with these problems, do I need a high power alternator, or new battery, or both?

Thanks for the help guys..I really appreciate this!!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Have your charging system checked out to see if there is a draw on your battery.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Sounds to me like there is a burnt out or burning out voltage regulator in your charging system. I agree to have the system checked out. If you think it is the added strain then disconnect your stereo and mobile electronics and drive it around for a while and see what happens. My guess is you will have the same results over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts