Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I looking into purchasing a used IS300 or GS300/400. My previous car was an eclipse, which I am retiring. From what I have gathered, the IS300 has much more aftermarket support. Is this correct?

Anyway, here are some additional questions maybe some of you can quickly answer for me? Thanks in advance.

1. Is there a specific year of IS300's that I should focus on? I know there are slight differences between all of them. The more versitle it is to aftermarket parts, and dependable, the better.

2. How much success has there been with the turbo kits? I have nightmares converting an NA engine to TC/SC'ed. My goal would not exceed. ~300-350hp. Can OEm internals handle that? Any particular turbo kit you would recommend? How much $?

3. I have only really found suprastore.com for aftermarket lexus parts, any other big names that focus on Lexus'?

4. Largest pitfall of the IS300 based on your experience? Would you purchase something else? Or happy w/ your progress?

Thanks again for your responces. They will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links. I plan on going 5speed. They're just a little hard to come by. I've only seen 2002+ have 5speeds, is that right?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Correct. Besides that there really isn't a ton of difference between the different MY's besides a few interior cosmetic things.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The 5 speed is only available on 2002+ models.

For 2003, it got a new cupholder.
For 2004, it got memory seats and a storage tray in the dash

As for as engine mods go, you should be safe for any of the 2002+ model years.

This engine was made for F/I:
Prolex Performance has a couple of superchargers available, one that puts you around 275+ whp
There are also S/C's available from TBKO and Toyomoto (soon to be released) that will also put you close to 300rwhp.

And there are a ton of Turbo kits out there.

Be prepared to spend at least $5k for any F/I kits.

For all the fun info, go to the Go Fast Forum on this site for all the kit options and customer testomonials....

Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IS JOE said:
Oh yeah, and the stock internals and tranny should be good for <350 whp.

Check out Redline814's awesome decision making flow chart for F/I for the different decisions you'll have to make while turboing an IS300:

http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13371020
Awesome! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for but couldn't easily find. If I knew how to award dots, or if I had any, I would give you one :) Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.