Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for an IS I can across this GGP with no sunroof and cloth seats. Is this a base model / race model / special order IS? I've never seen one without a sunroof.

I did a search and some said some models came like this in Canada.

Does anyone know if there is anything else a model like this would not have vs a normal IS? I assume since it is cloth seats, it might now be powered or have the heat option.
It is an 2002 model.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts

·
27,116 Posts
There are indeed cars that are "base" IS300's. They had manual cloth seats... no seat heaters... no sunroof... and some of them even had a single cd for the stereo... and 16" rims.

They aren't race models per say... but if you did wanna strip a car down... I guess it would make more sense to start with one of these.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This will answer you questions:

Lexus Certified Pre-Owned - Model Library IS 300 5-Speed IS 300 E-Shift IS 300 SportCross 2002

It's the Lexus model library. It has the list of all the options from 2002-2005. Just select the year you want to view in the window box provided up top. Very helpful site......
Thanks bro. That was super helpful +rep for you.

To others looking for the answer to my original questions.

These are the following options.

Leather Trim Package
- Full leather interior trim with piping
- Eight-way power-adjustable driver's and front passenger's seats
- HomeLink® universal transceiver to operate compatible garage, gate, home lighting and home security systems
Leather/Ecsaine Trim Package
- Leather/Ecsaine interior trim with piping
- HomeLink® universal transceiver to operate compatible garage, gate, home lighting and home security systems
Individual Options
- Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)[2]
- TORSEN® Limited-Slip Differential (LSD)[7]
- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof
- DVD navigation system[3] with compass
- Heated front seats
- Walnut switch plates
- 17 x 7.0-in graphite polished-alloy wheels with 215/45ZR17 tires[5]
- 16 x 6.5-in alloy wheels with 205/55VR16 all-season tires
- Detachable ski bag for trunk pass-through
- Rear spoiler

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
yeah when I saw the one the one that yausito had in his garage, i was like wtf.... wow. these are rare!!

too bad his was wrecked...

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Some people prefer the based model with no sunroom to save weight as well as to have a lower center of gravity.

·
27,116 Posts
I think most people bought the base model because that's all they could afford... and then they came up with thoughts like "light-weight" and "lower center of gravity" to make themselves feel better... :p <jokes>

·
Registered
188 Posts
May also be where you live. Here in Texas, I'll take Cloth over Leather in the summer. Mine has the fabric seats and no sun-roof but has all of the other options, homelink, 6-disc, 17" rims, etc. It probably was special ordered because i remember when i was shopping for one in 2001-2002 the dealer didn't have any without leather and sunroofs. I didn't even know i could get one with out a sunroof until i found the one i have now. I don't remember the 2001/02 sales manual saying anything about it being an option.

The fabric option may be more popular than you think. Most Vegetarians/vegans/peta/non-meat lovers don't like leather and probably ordered them with fabric. Mercedes, BMW also offer non-leather options to appeal to that market.

Personally, the cloth seats are way more comfortable and supportive, i just wish they were powered and heated.

·
27,116 Posts
I think these were regional orders...

Because in Canada they were readily available... but I remember people in the States saying they didn't see it as an option.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I never said anything about new. I was talking about people looking for used ones without sunroof for project cars. I know for sure some people have converted theirs with a sunroof to without for track.

·
27,116 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought one a few weeks back. Cloth seats and no sun-roof. It does have the 6 CD changer. I got it from Original owner who may have special ordered this way. She didn't like the cold leather in the morning and didn't want any "distractions" with the sunroof ? I don't know but I got a sweet deal at $7600 all mainenance records 106k on the clock.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I just bought one a few weeks back. Cloth seats and no sun-roof. It does have the 6 CD changer. I got it from Original owner who may have special ordered this way. She didn't like the cold leather in the morning and didn't want any "distractions" with the sunroof ? I don't know but I got a sweet deal at $7600 all mainenance records 106k on the clock.
you should post pics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts