Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the PLP Intercooler and from the looks of it, it looks like a tube and fine design. I go and lookup bar/plate design they appear to be running up and down vs my PLP that is running left to right. I'm looking at IC altogether and when a core is shown I can't tell what the difference is between a bar/plate and a tube/fin.
what am i looking for when i view the core of a bar/plate vs a tube/fin?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tube and Fin:

Bar and Plate:

Supposedly bar and plate is more efficient for higher HP applications. I know a few All-Trac owners who went from Tube and Fin to Bar and Plate and noticed no difference. I ran tube and fin on my Alltrac... Dont think it will really matter until you get up there in the power. HTH.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Bar and plate has more heat dissipation due to more dense "fining" , whereas the tube and fin has better air flow due to the rounded edges. It's always a trade off:)

Yo pogo nice pics.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
i am upgradign My SC with a N3ew IC that is about 2x as big & is a Tube &Fin design Vs aBar & Plate.... the "OEM" LMW SC Intercooler is a nice Bar & Plate design & it wirks amazingly well... but i wanted to see what difference it would make to really max out the size within the space available without making any changes to the tubing other than perhaps cutting it back on either side.... so i went with a new design that is about 6 inches longer end to end, about 3 inches taller top to bottom...and still 3 inches thick....

hopefully this will make a noticeable difference...

i will let u all know....:)

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the pics Pogo..
well, I'm trying to isolate why i'm getting such a low PSI when I've maxed out the blower. Someone suggested looking at the IC. The bar and plate is supposed to be more efficient and less of a PSI drop. I've yet to find something concrete to support that theory and I've been looking.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
psi drop is related to the volume of air in your piping and i/c not the type of i/c. it can also be affected by the pipe sizing coming out of the charger and the relative pipe sizeing coming out of the i/c, but that's more for response i think than psi drop.

the effeciency of the intercooler could be related to the type of i/c, but i haven't researched that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
From what I understand with intercoolers is... the more it cools, the more pressure drop you have. What are the dimensions of your intercooler, end tank IDs, and piping IDs? How much PSI are you getting into the motor after the IC?

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well there's something definitely something wrong with this blower.. i took the IC off and and replaced it with a straight pipe. This was done to see what the PSI was before the IC, to see how much the PSI was dropping due to the IC. Nothing, no change. I ran quickly to see the PSI at WOT, I should have seen more than 9 PSI. With the IC on, I would see 8.6 PSI. So looks like I'll be looking for more places for Boost Leak. I think there's something wrong with the blower, especially after I posted that VID of the weird noise.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bar and plate is more better. I've researched intercoolers more than most people, and have some friends that do nothing but design and manufacture them. Tube and fin isn't bad for low dollar performance, bar / plate will give you max performance. I've run both in the past, with noticable gains on the bar / plate.

Cooling isn't really related to pressure drop per se (look at air/water I/C's), but usually the bigger I/C's cool better but are physically larger, hense the increased pressure drop. Technology's getting to the point now where, unless you're running something ridiculous, the point's moot.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mudd:
THats what I'm noticing. With this tube and fin IC, i'm only getting a .5 -1 PSI drop. Thats not bad. Thats why I'll be looking for a leak elsewhere, OR like I've stated it may be the blower. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts