Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To: TEG/Webmaster

In light of a number of comments by various users of this forum I am motioning to create banishment policy (i've been watching way too much Survivor!!!) which allows users of this forum to vote for the banishment of certain other users from this forum - (via the use of IP addresses etc???) TEG/Webmaster - please tell us if it is possible for you to refuse access based on IP addresses or the like.

There are a few users, who shall at this point remain nameless, who seem to have gone out of their way to instigate, aggravate and annoy. It has become cancerous and I think it is in the best interest of all users that such a policy be implemented to save us all from this downward spiral.

I am, as I believe most users of this forum are, a car and in particular an IS300 enthusiast. I think that this forum was created to allow people with similar interests to openly and honestly discuss issues related to the IS300 and cars in general. However, in the past couple of months it has gotten rather pathetic due to the immaturity and inconsideration of a few users.

We need to do something before it gets any more out of hand and your efforts are wasted.

All constructive comments are welcome.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
While banishment of Aholes sounds good on paper what is to stop them from coming back as a new member with a different email address? Nothing. Life has taught me that Pricks will be Pricks. We all know who they are (hope I am not) and we are all allowed to think and say what we want...I think rather than banish them we could do some group spam or simply ignore their posts.

Please don't banish me - I haven't even got my car yet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not suggesting that we should elimiate differences of opinion, conflict or disagreements (however passionate) - I welcome them, but I do not think that the "AutoX Video" post has any redeeming quality whatsoever.

Name calling, arrogant, inflammatory, attitudes are NOT welcome and do not mere constitute 'a difference in opinion'.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As much as we would all like to "silence" certain post-ers who continually annoy us with comments like "U are all a bunch of loozers!" and "My '75 Dodge Dart weighs less than the IS, therefore it is a superior machine!!!", I think the webmasters have intentionally refrained from killing posts for reasons similar to why the KKK can have demonstrations downtown.

Who's to say which posts or post-ers are worthy of banishment? What is the threshold? I don't think the webmasters want to get into that kind of judgement. It violates our right to free speech.

So, I think the best way to kill any threads that start out like "BMW can accelerate from 0-60 in 6.6, Lexus in 6.7, therefore the Lexus is slow as hell and I want to sue them for $3M!!!" is to simply IGNORE the post.

As hard as it may be to resist lashing out at that idiot, just refrain. If we all do that, then the post will die.

That is one way we can "vote"--with our silence.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you whole heartedly... and I hope it works - I suggested banishment policy to raise the issue - if we can all agree and work out a less draconian method I'm all for it...

[/B/[/QUOTE]As hard as it may be to resist lashing out at that idiot, just refrain. If we all do that, then the post will die.

That is one way we can "vote"--with our silence.[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
448 Posts
voting for banishment? that's pretty lame. that's why you have moderators to filter out the instigators in the club. you may not like what people have to say, but they are entitled to their own opinion. if their only objective is to make trouble here, then that's a reason for banishment. but not just because their opinion/views do not parallel yours. Look at CLubSi. We have tons of members that don't own Si's but their opinions are accepted. We even have a special forum for pure trash talking. The Si vs. All forum. But the moderators should do all the moderating and filtering. Not the club members.

------------------
Official member of the ClubSi.com So. Cal Fuddrucker and Boba Crews. Westside Represent!
  • 1999 EBP Honda Civic Si
  • AEM CAI
  • DC Ceramic 4-1
  • Greddy EVO Exhaust
  • Eibach Pro-Kits
  • Sprint Camber Kit
  • Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals
  • KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks

[This message has been edited by atomicbombpinoy (edited August 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes moderators....
as in my previous thread "CLEAR THE NOISE".
I suggested setting up additional forumms for IS300 discussion only. These other forums, such as IS300 owners, IS200 owners, performance mods, suspension mods etc would then be MODERATED to keep the posts in line with the forum catagory. THEN we can leave this general discussions forum out there and UNMODERATED so anyone can post anything.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think this topic has already raised a number of valid thoughts that have crossed my mind.

I will try to summarize _my_ current thinking:

1> It is very difficult for us to actually block out someone from coming to this site.
2> There have been two instances where things started getting really out of hand, and webmaster/I resorted to personal (offline) email with the individuals asking them to clean up their acts, and (eventually) asking if they would stop posting. It seems to have worked (in those cases).
3> As far as _I_ am concerned, _my_ only recourse is to delete postings which I find too far off the mark. I try to avoid the urge, but I have deleted a few here and there.
4> Lately I haven't seen anything that is "really bad". Some earlier episodes amounted to what you might call a "paranoid online fight" with name calling back and forth that was leading nowhere.
5> I am getting pretty tired of this myself... I don't have the time/patience to deal with too many more of these "bad poster" problems.
6> Webmaster has his own bboard software that includes a "brownie points" option that lets you give some of your points to other people you like, or take away from others. I would assume that a system like that could support having people vote someone off the bboard.
Maybe he will change is300.net to run his new (experimental) bboard software so we could try out that feature.

So far the biggest issue I have seen (in general) is that some people take alot of postings personally. They think that general comments are always targeted towards them... My advice - everyone should take this bboard with a big grain of salt - if you read something that annoys you try to just ignore it... If someone sends a nasty note that is clearly directed at you, just imagine that the poster is a little kid who doesn't know what they are doing. Don't take this stuff too seriously.

OK - lets start forming voting teams - anyone want to make a pact to snuff out some torches?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
What's this week's immunity challenge?

That's not me, btw. I'm Asian.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited August 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
448 Posts
TEG, how about recruiting responsible and nonbiased individuals to help you moderate? We've done that at Club Si. You don't even need to have an Si to become a moderator. Anyway, this forum is growing and needs more moderators.

------------------
Official member of the ClubSi.com So. Cal Fuddrucker and Boba Crews. Westside Represent!
  • AEM CAI
  • DC Ceramic 4-1
  • Greddy EVO Exhaust
  • Eibach Pro-Kits
  • Sprint Camber Kit

[This message has been edited by atomicbombpinoy (edited August 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think that is up to the webmaster...

I am hoping that he will create an IS300 Owners forum, and then I can migrate over there and leave the general forum to someone else.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I'm hoping to take care of this whole issue by switching over to a new message board that I've written. One of the features is called "brownie points" and it will let users banish others as well as promote users to moderators.

See it in use here. Read about brownie points here.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
448 Posts
Brownie Points? Do you think that's a good idea. Since a lot of the IS300.net members aren't even owners, don't you think that a faction of IS300 owners will elect one of their own to suppress the opinions expressed by non-IS300 owners? I guess the best way to gain moderators is to have individuals submit applications. It should be up to webmaster and TEG choose who they think would be best suited to moderating. A moderator should have non-biased opinions/tendencies. All opinions/outlooks must be accepted even if a certain group does/does not like it. I agree that this forum should cater to IS300 owners, but don't let it be exclusively for IS300 owners. I also agree that members that post useless or always controversial or demeaning posts should be eliminated. They aren't useful to the growth of this board at all.

------------------
  • AEM CAI
  • DC Ceramic 4-1
  • Greddy EVO Exhaust
  • Eibach Pro-Kits
  • Sprint Camber Kit

[This message has been edited by atomicbombpinoy (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is a really tough call. The problem here is very complicated. But it can be summed up in a couple words: real life humans. We have 2 camps: 1) IS300 Likers 2) IS300 Haters. Within the first camp we have two sub-groups: A) Owners, B) Non-Owner or Soon-to-Be owners. The second camp is made up of: A) A Few Owners, B) techie number minded people, C) Just plain haters. What can you do here? Nothing, just live with it. Unless it breaks down into name calling, I could care less what is written on the board. I have found posts about the car that lead to heated debates VERY educational. At the same time, I find posts that say that the IS300 is the greatest/worst car on the planet being presented as an objective observation a problem. Observations are subjective, live with it. Threads that talk about: Parent-bought cars, Crappy Cars, Hating BMW or MB or any other car, AutoX Videos, ricing cars, your stupid, I'm stupid, we're all stupid... yikes I'm getting carried away... anyway, all those topics are pointless. If nothing else, I could use those posts to point out psychological problems in people and if nothing else ask them to be a subject in my next Low Self-Esteem Thesis.

Anyway, long live the IS300 board and TEG and WEBMASTER.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
DonCorleone is a stupid name
get off this board you moron
you got the crappiest car in the world
you poopoo head
you got the slowest car in the world
my car can beat the hell out of you
doodoo face

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Originally posted by DonCorleone:
DonCorleone is a stupid name
>no its not!
get off this board you moron
>make me!
you got the crappiest car in the world
>no I don't
you poopoo head
>I know you are but what am I?
you got the slowest car in the world
>no I don't
my car can beat the hell out of you
>no it can't
doodoo face
>I know you are but what am I?

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by atomicbombpinoy:
Brownie Points? Do you think that's a good idea. Since a lot of the IS300.net members aren't even owners, don't you think that a faction of IS300 owners will elect one of their own to suppress the opinions expressed by non-IS300 owners?
Yes, I do. That's why I wrote it. Did you read the whole thing? You can't give or take away BP from someone until you've received a certain number of your own from someone else. Sure the ProIS300 camp could give someone a point for a stupid post, but the ConIS300 camp could take it away just as easily.

The other thing I want to say, is that this problem is not unique to this message board. It happens everywhere. That's why I wanted to create the BP system - it might help. But it's not a problem that's going to go away unless human nature fundamentally changes.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited August 17, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts