Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping you guys can give me some insight on this:

I was driving on the highway this morning and was going to overtake a slow car coming up, so I dropped from 5th to 3rd (at around 50mph) and stepped on the gas (I've done this many times before) and the car didn't accellerate at all....the revs just kept going up! I freaked out so I let off the gas and moved the shifter back up to M and then E-shifted to 5th, but the trans didn't respond....it was if it was in Neutral and I was just coasting. I started slowing down and tried to down shift using the E-shift and that seemed to get me to 2nd gear, but the trans was still over-revving. I finally pulled over to a safe spot and put the car in park and then shut the engine off for a 10 count. After restarting my car was back to normal, I drove around in full auto mode, then E-shifting from 2 to 5 and back, then gate-shifting from 1 to 5 and back....everything OK. Can any of you guys explain what happened, is my trans going TU? I will call service center tomorrow anyway for a checkup. I appreciate any/all of your insight.

I forgot to mention that throughout this whole ordeal there were no CEL or warning lights of any sort.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Check your tranny fluid. How many miles do you have on it since new or since the tranny fluid was replaced? There's a chance it's just really dirty and the shift solonoids are sticking or something.

To check the fluid level, drive around till car is warmed up, park the car with it idleing, check you tranny dipstick and see where the level is at. Also, wipe the fluid on a clean white paper towel, make sure it's nice and red, not a really dark maroon or anything. if it's a really dark red and smells burnt at all, replace the fluid and clean the mesh filter. Make sure you refill ONLY with Toyota Type-IV automatic tranny fluid, (2.5 qrt's).

Just some suggestions, not sure if it's the problem or not, but very likely.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Kane

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Are you running aftermarket wheels. If so, what size wheel and what size tire.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all thanks for all your replies to my dilema.

Cruxader - Why shouldn't I take it in, my car is still under warranty and I would like them to run a check on the trans. I will most likely reduce my gateshifting frequency...although I've never had problems or heard of anybody having problems gateshifting before.

Kanine21 - Thanks, I'll check my trans fluid later this afternoon.

SophieSleeps - I am running my stock 17" Carbon Polished rims with Toyo FZ4s 215/45/17

PLAU2 - I hope this is not the case, but if so now is the time since my car is still under warranty.

Again, thanks for your replies and I would appreciate all future posts to this thread.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
something similar happened to me once. Car wouldn't shift out of 2nd. Went home and unplugged the neg terminal for about 2 hours. (20-45 min didn't work)

I attributed it to me running a 245/40 on my rears and throwing off the speed sensors and shift points.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought that's where you were leading to by asking what size wheels and tires I was running. I am still running stock for now, so that throws out speed sensor/shift point variable due to non-stock wheels.

I called Lexus service department today and told them what happened, I also mentioned to them that I just had my 5k servicing which included fluid change/checks. The service guy stated that my problem was most likely "not" caused by tranny fluid level...but something else. I will be bringing my baby down to get serviced tomorrow morning. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
only reason i say not to go there unless you can get it reproduced in some way is b/c any logical dealership WOULD NOT do anything more than just drive your car around the block unless you can somehow show them what the issue is.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cruxader said:
only reason i say not to go there unless you can get it reproduced in some way is b/c any logical dealership WOULD NOT do anything more than just drive your car around the block unless you can somehow show them what the issue is.
And that's exactly what happened yesterday :-? I told them that I couldn't reproduce the problem myself, but I was extremely concerned about the trans slipping again. The service dept. drove my car around with negative results, so then they plugged the computer diagnostics in and, again, couldn't find anything wrong....no error codes. But what they finally did was re-flash my ECU to the latest revision, thinking that might fix the "bug" with the trans. I been driving around and haven't experienced a change in performance, but maybe it's too early to realize the flash upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.