Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow members,

Yesterday, I went to this dealer called Gabriel Lexus shopping for an IS300. They are one of the two (I can't believe theres's only two in a city like Montreal) Lexus dealers in Montreal, so I was expecting a tough haggling session. But it turned out to be worse.

When I entered the showroom, a saleswoman was already serving someone also interested in the IS300 and no other salesperson was available. Fine, there was 2 IS300s so I just gonna serve myself (i.e. sit in the car, examining the interior, etc.). I was hearing what the saleswoman was saying to the other potential customer and I felt she was trying to show she is knowledgeable and all that (more on this later). When the guy left, the lady went up to me and asked if I needed help. I was reading the spec sheet on which the price is mentioned -- I see $42333CAN (MSRP + 1500 (!) for destination and handling charges) for the Package A (no options). Socked, I asked her what happened to the $38xxx price I saw in the newspaper a week ago. Only THEN, she revealed the $2300 rebate is still valid. I said I'm interested in Package B and that I know some people (IS300.net members) who got approx. $3500 off the MSRP without the rebate. I then throw in my offer which is approx. $4500 off the MSRP. The lady said the best she could do if shave a couple of hundreds off the MSRP!!! I could not believe it, so I reiterate the fact that some people from Toronto got at least a couple of thousands off. Then, I sense she was feeling somehow insecure but she was trying to show otherwise -- like she knows what she's talking about and that she won't back off a bit. She said the best she could do is a couple of hundreds off and that if there's such a good deals in Toronto, I should go buy my car there instead. WTF??? This is like telling me: "I don't want to do business with you, go away." Now I'm really pissed off. At that point, I just wanted stick in her face the Edmunds FMV and the CarCostCanada.com invoice documents that I had with me. But no, all I did was to show her the Edmunds FMV and pointed out to her that in the US, people got even below invoice. She replied something like: "Do you run a business? We are not a charity organization. How are we supposed to make a profit by selling below invoice?!" She didn't even let me explain why selling below invoice is possible and that dealer could still get a profit out of it. She seemed so frustrated and (again) insecure. I said to myself: "I ain't gonna get a good (or even fair) deal with this B*tch." So I walked away.

I realized that having just 2 dealers in the Montreal area really plays against me. This Gabriel Lexus dealer could probably afford to lose a customer like me (who's not stupid enough to get screwed by these low-lives). I don't have bargain power and it really sucks. And I hate Montreal and the province of Quebec (only 4 dealers in the entire province!!! -- for those Americans who doesn't have a clue what a province is, a province is similar to a state in the US.) for that. No wonder why we mostly see Echos, Civics and all thoses low-end cars over here...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to visit a few dealers in Southern Ontario before I found one who wasn't trying to retire on my purchase. Try Erin Mills Lexus. Ask for Abdul. When I went to see him it was just like your experience, one sales person and he was busy with a client. He excused himself from his client, and came over to talk to me. He was very forward and said that if I could wait appx 45 minutes he would ensure that I got the best deal possible. Well I waited and within 20 minutes of serving me we had a deal. No pressure, no bidding. He just asked me what I wanted to pay and was able to get close enough in the first draft that we had a deal. My lease costs are less than a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I've got 17,000 km on now with no problems. I just had the ECU replaced but I'm still waiting for the tranny ECU. Excellent service too.

My car is Blk on Blk with the B package and tinted windows. Car goes in on the 30th for Eibach springs and to have the calipers painted.

Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try writing a letter or email to the Lexus manager for that dealer and copy to the regional director.

Lexus is quite proud in having good customer relationship and it will at least have some feedback to the saleslady.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Go to www.lexus.ca and replied on their feedback email.

I had a couple of concern with them awhile back. Each time, they had people contact me and provide me with a solution. The headoffice is full of people who are willing to help. Both of my concern was handle by two different people and both staff was professional and courtous and helpful..

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help and support guys.

I will definitely write something to Lexus. I will even call that rude lady and tell her about my intention.

Some questions:

I live in Montreal, if I buy from a dealer in Toronto, would it be a hassle for getting post-purchase services? I mean, will there be any cases where I *must* return to the same (Toronto) dealer for services?

Also, before this $2300 rebate promotion, I have never heard about this $1500 destination and handling fee that the dealer apparently must charge. It looks like they are giving from one hand and take back on the other. Is this a Lexus thing or a dealer thing? If it's the latter then it must be negotiable. I believe destination/transportation/freight fee (or whatever you call it) is around $500, so if the remaining $1000 is for handling and preparation, then it's just bullsh*t.

Thanks,

Dyson

·
Registered
18 Posts
It doesn't matter where you buy your car, you can take it to any dealer for service. Given Lexus' reputation, there should be no problems. As for the infamous destination fee, ...good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts