Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I posted a little bit about this in the Sticky above but I really need some help and I feel that making a thread will get the help im looking for.

I have the Tokico Hp Kit

I just purchased tires 11k miles ago and the service guy (when I purchased tires) said I should replace my tie rods soon at the time of install (The shop was called Chabill's). While finally getting my Tie rods changed (at a completely different shop) today they noticed the inner tread of both front tires is completely worn and the metal is fraying outside of the rubber. :jawDrop:

After no luck talking to Chabill's about a tire warranty or seeing if they could do anything because my tires wore so fast, they stated my record's indicated I needed new control arms and not new tie rods, so I decided I would take my business elsewhere from now on because they were really weren't helping the situation.

So I purchased new tires, replaced my tie rods (Which the new shop said I needed done and not the control arms), and wanted a new alignment to go along with my new tie rods. The shop mechanic however, said their machine was unable to read my car and recommended another shop I could go to tomorrow.

After getting on here and reading thread after thread about cambers/toe/casters, etc, etc I am completely lost on what I should do first or what to look for. I will be going to either a Firestone or a Goodyear shop tomorrow hoping for better luck.

Any suggestions guys on what I should change, fix, or adjust? Please note I am a very inexperienced individual when it comes to suspension.

·
Vendor
5,524 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seen the sticky and besides telling everybody you sell the parts I didn't get much info about what they do or how adjustable the kit is, and I was really looking for help with my specific problem but I guess I couldn't get it.

Brought my car to Goodyear and was told I need a Right front lower arm control because my bushing is going bad. Alignment fixed my toe-in problem(causing my uneven tread wear according to the mechanic), but said he wasn't able to adjust the camber or caster until i fixed my control arm.

I going to guess I just need to find a Lower control arm and then my car will sit fine without killing my tires? Am I wrong, because my car is only lowered 1 inch all around.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Your situation is very odd to me. I have the tokico illuminas with H&R springs and my drop is around 1.5 to 1.7 inches front and rear. I have not had any problems like the ones you have stated. Did you get an alignment done right after you had your HP's and springs installed? How long have you had them and do you rotate your tires every 5k miles?

Everything those mechanics are telling you could be wrong. I have been to several mechanics when I had a set of crappy out of round wheels and they all concluded that it was bad bushings or control arms. They just try to make money off of people by making up these lies. I came really close to shelling out tons of cash for stuff I didnt even need replaced. However, if your tires are like that you might have done damage to other parts of your suspension in the process. You need to go to a expensive shop that has a very good reputation and get a diagnosis. Not these shady goodyear and firestone shops. Trust me, I speak from experience.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Ok maybe you really should do a better job of searching than reading just one thread. Obviously if none of the shops mentioned you being out of alignment then a camber kit will do absolutely nothing for your problem. Seems like the first shop simply guessed at parts to throw on your car and obviously guessed the wrong parts.
Yes you do need new bushings especially for the castor arm which is not adjustable on the IS. If it was adjustable, you could adjust the slop from the worn bushings out (partially, but enough to keep out your inner shoulder tire wear).
So you can either replace your lower control arm number 2, buy new bushings and have them pressed in that arm. Or best yet go back to the goodyear guy and take a paper and pencil this time and write down what he actually said. In two places they have said one thing and meant another according to you, I am starting to think maybe you misheard them or mixed up what they said. The IS300 does not have adjustable caster btw.

If it is a caster issue like the Goodyear guy said, you will need a new lower control arm #2 or bushings, not a tie-rod. Also that should not affect camber adjustment much at all especially at the mild drop you have (~1.5"). He seemed to be on the right track of using the toe in to adjust for the caster deficiency, but all that does is reduce your tire wear and not actually fix the problem.

Go find out exactly what is causing the problem, either he cannot bring the caster into spec cause of worn bushings, or there is something wrong with your lower control arm number 1 also which is also affecting camber adjustment

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the absence. I am in the process of moving and haven't been on the computer much to see the 2 new post.

I have the new lower control arm on order and will replace when the part comes in. I have already replaced my tie rods on what I KNOW the mechanic said when I was there for new tires, but either way I was told I need new Lower Arm control bushing by Goodyear who said I couldn't replace just the bushing (bullshit) and wanted to charge $500 bucks, so I said hell on that.

Where I am located at Goodyear is probably the best type of shop within 75-100 miles so my options are limited withing a decent driving range.

I still know hardly anything about suspension but for my daily driving duties I really have no need to know more. I think I know enough now to keep me from thrashing tires and keep my car riding smoothly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.