Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over big bumps I can hear the back left tire rub the fender...for some reason it doesn't seem like any other tire except for this one is rubbing. I really hate this cause I can't drive normally without worrying about rubbing.

I have 18x7.5 in the front with 225/40/18 tires. Fits fine.

Back are 18x8.5 with 245/40/18. Rub...I would have bought 245/35/18 but they don't make them with Kumho Excsta MX's...which SUCKS.

I really don't wanna roll or shave the fender. I'm only lowered on Eibach springs which is around a 1.5'' drop. I can't raise my car cause I don't have coilovers...a guy at a import shop recommended I stiffen the suspension in the back. Is there anything eles I can do besides buying new tires (don't wanna cause they'r ebrand new) or rolling/shaving?

I'm looking for the most inexpensive way to do this.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Ok...you don't want to modifying your fender or buy new tires. You can stiffen your suspension but there's no guarentee that will fix it since weight in your trunk or backseat can still cause the rubbing when you hit a bump.

Honestly, the best thing to do is go to a reputable body shop and get your fenders rolled. The cheapest thing to do is call Tirerack and order a fender roller. It will only cost about $20, shipping charges, and roll them yourself but there's no guarentee you won't crack your paint when you roll them.

·
3,221 Posts
Re: Back tires are rubbing. Any alternatives to rolling/shav

lil' IS 300 said:
Over big bumps I can hear the back left tire rub the fender...for some reason it doesn't seem like any other tire except for this one is rubbing. I really hate this cause I can't drive normally without worrying about rubbing.

I have 18x7.5 in the front with 225/40/18 tires. Fits fine.

Back are 18x8.5 with 245/40/18. Rub...I would have bought 245/35/18 but they don't make them with Kumho Excsta MX's...which SUCKS.

I really don't wanna roll or shave the fender. I'm only lowered on Eibach springs which is around a 1.5'' drop. I can't raise my car cause I don't have coilovers...a guy at a import shop recommended I stiffen the suspension in the back. Is there anything eles I can do besides buying new tires (don't wanna cause they'r ebrand new) or rolling/shaving?

I'm looking for the most inexpensive way to do this.
Falken FK-451 comes in 245/35/18. I was thinking about trying it out but sitll undecided on rolling the fenders.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
lilaznboi said:
your first mistake is buying sh*t tires...
For once Jeff is right, KHUMO SUCKS! I just got done with a set, and i will never go back!

Toyo, or Dunlop is my fav so far...... I love the stock dunlops.

David

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
You obviously know the answer to this. ROLL YOUR FENDER!

Anything else you do will only be a temporary bandaid. You can raise your car, but you will still rub when the backseat is loaded. You can raise your car...but it'll be ugly. You can stiffen the rear... All this BAD suspension tuning just becuase you don't want to CUT your fenders. Also, you need the rear tire width because of the turbo you'll have.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
DHCrocks said:
how would you stiffen the suspension? won't you need to replace the springs to do that?
Pretty much but that might not be the path lil wants to pursue since it won't be cost effective for him.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
WTF, i had the same problem with my 19's with toyo tires, and i have 1.5 drop....its on the back left....what i did is rolled the fender wall, we used a standard bassball BAT, no cost :) works great...shove the bat under there use the tires as leverage and roll the fender wall...easy 1-2-3...

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LexIS307 said:
WTF, i had the same problem with my 19's with toyo tires, and i have 1.5 drop....its on the back left....what i did is rolled the fender wall, we used a standard bassball BAT, no cost :) works great...shove the bat under there use the tires as leverage and roll the fender wall...easy 1-2-3...
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was at my import shop and they were like "is this a 2003? Man I don't wanna roll or shave it...it's a brand new car. Maybe you can do something eles to fix it".

When it comes to rolling and shaving i'm a total newb. But I can tell where the tire is rubbing because I can take my finger, rub it on the metal and get some rubber on my finger. When you "roll a fender" what exactly are you doing?

I'm kind of interested in this baseball bat thing...and just generally rolling them. But to tell you the truth I don't know what it is. When you roll do you pull the fender out farther? Because when you look at the fender, there is this metal piece which goes about .5'' inside and that's what the tire is rubbing. Think somebody could spare me an explanation?

While I'm at it, does anybody know of a place in NY that can roll who has had experience themselves with getting their fenders rolled by the shop?

Appreciate all the advice :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
good luck finding a shop to do it. most shops in the NY area i tried were reluctant to roll fenders on a lexus. i finally got mine done at a porsche tuning shop here in long island. keep in mind that when you're rolling fenders, there's a good chance that the paint will chip off from the inside of the lip, even if you heat it up first.

lil' IS 300 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was at my import shop and they were like "is this a 2003? Man I don't wanna roll or shave it...it's a brand new car. Maybe you can do something eles to fix it".

When it comes to rolling and shaving i'm a total newb. But I can tell where the tire is rubbing because I can take my finger, rub it on the metal and get some rubber on my finger. When you "roll a fender" what exactly are you doing?

I'm kind of interested in this baseball bat thing...and just generally rolling them. But to tell you the truth I don't know what it is. When you roll do you pull the fender out farther? Because when you look at the fender, there is this metal piece which goes about .5'' inside and that's what the tire is rubbing. Think somebody could spare me an explanation?

While I'm at it, does anybody know of a place in NY that can roll who has had experience themselves with getting their fenders rolled by the shop?

Appreciate all the advice :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
When you "roll a fender" what exactly are you doing?

when you look at the fender, there is this metal piece which goes about .5'' inside and that's what the tire is rubbing. Think somebody could spare me an explanation?
rolling the fender means pushing that 0.5" lip upwards so that when the suspension compresses the tire can clear that 0.5" lip.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
i can help, when you "roll" your fender you are taking that .5inch peice that is hitting the tire and puttin it vertical, so your fender looks like this

I
I
LTire

"the bottom of the "L" / is the .5lip

when u roll it its come out like this

I
I
ITire

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh ok, I understand now. It's just "rolling" or pushing that .5'' piece up and back towards the fender so the tire can clear it. Seems simple enough.

I don't like the risk involved though with cracking paint.

Shaving would probably just be getting rid of the .5'' piece. Completely removing it? And with that, is isn't as big a risk...or no risk at all, to crack or ship the paint?

Either way, by rolling it you're pushing the piece out of the way...by shaving it, your just getting rid of it. Are shops more prone to shave?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
Shaving would probably just be getting rid of the .5'' piece. Completely removing it? And with that, is isn't as big a risk...or no risk at all, to crack or ship the paint?
You should not shave off the whole fender lip. There are spot welds holding the fender together. There's no guarentee the fender will hold together if you shave off the spot welds. You should only shave to the spot welds.

Lil, there's a catch though...there's still no guarentee that you shaved off enough of the fender to fix the rubbing. Also, make sure there's some sort of seal on the exposed metal. You don't want rust to form on it.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lambchop11078 said:
lil' IS 300 said:
You should not shave off the whole fender lip. There are spot welds holding the fender together. There's no guarentee the fender will hold together if you shave off the spot welds. You should only shave to the spot welds.

Lil, there's a catch though...there's still no guarentee that you shaved off enough of the fender to fix the rubbing. Also, make sure there's some sort of seal on the exposed metal. You don't want rust to form on it.
If I brought the IS to a shop that had experience with shaving they would know about what you just told me? I mean hopefully it's common sense for them. This is nuts!

Now I gotta go on a mission to find a shop and see what they would recommend doing based on their personal experience.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
lambchop11078 said:
lil' IS 300 said:

If I brought the IS to a shop that had experience with shaving they would know about what you just told me? I mean hopefully it's common sense for them. This is nuts!

Now I gotta go on a mission to find a shop and see what they would recommend doing based on their personal experience.
You'd be surprised. Don't assume anything. If you don't believe me, why do you think a lot of people complain about their HID warning light going off after getting their springs installed? Because things were re-installed incorrectly. If someone isn't paying attention when they're shaving/grinding the fender lip, guess what...there goes the spot weld.

Just make sure the shop is reputable and knows what they're doing. Ask them how much they're planning to shave off, if they say the whole thing then go somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts