Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It's all about the tires/AWD/driver in shitty conditions.

Anyone going that fast in ice is a moron regardless.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
just curious, why are u still roaming on our forum audi dood?

u got some deep revenge for is, or u just envy our cars ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sombody seems a little sour...So what were you saying about envy again :wink:
I already said, I like this board - Exchange of info. makes for more knowledgable members...
So I ask you, what is your problem?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
no nothing i just find my respect only for audi s4,
the rest seems like a toy for me

but welcome anyway !

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hmm well all your post says is the is300 driver couldnt drive. From my research the is300 is better handling car then the a4.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I test drove an A4 1.8T and a 3.0, and they drove like fucking boats! Like a big, wobbly, cushy, swaying with the waves BOAT! They handled TERRIBLY compared to the IS. That was the main deciding factor in getting the IS over the A4. (That and the fact that the armrest was poorly designed for the 5 speed, and it actually hurt my wrist to get it into 2nd and 4th gear)

Other than that, I love the a4's looks- inside and out. Stock power on the 1.8T kinda sucked, too, but I know that can be easily remedied :-?

-C

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Benign said:
just curious, why are u still roaming on our forum audi dood?

u got some deep revenge for is, or u just envy our cars ?
I'm an Audi dood and I've been on this board for over 2 years.
No envy here. :lol:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
more likely than not, the lexus lost control in the story linked to above because the kid driving it was a ricer and fucked up his suspension by putting on sway bars that were too stiff for street driving, 18 inch rims with 30 profile tires, and had his shocks set to full stiff, without knowing the importance of properly balancing your suspension setup. When he passed over the changeover from concrete to asphalt, there was likely a small bump or change in pavement elevation. Because he had ultra-thin sidewalls and overly stiff sways, it caused his rear end to "hop" or skip out as it hit the bump, as his suspension did not absorb the shock to keep the rubber on the ground. The end result was his end sliding out entirely, because the frictional coefficient drops significantly once you lose static traction, and he lost control of the car. Not necessarily the fault of the IS, but more the result of someone ricing out their car without REALLY knowing what they are doing.

Just my 2 cents.

-C

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
lets keep this quiet already...

stock to stock

audi a4 *which is the same class as ours* is good for daily driving, comfortable, and luxurious

is300 is a performance car, its good for performance drive *do oh*

which one is the best car?
that my friend will depends on each person's taste and driving style

reviews ye say ?
www.edmunds.com

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Benign said:
lets keep this quiet already...

stock to stock

audi a4 *which is the same class as ours* is good for daily driving, comfortable, and luxurious

is300 is a performance car, its good for performance drive *do oh*

which one is the best car?
that my friend will depends on each person's taste and driving style

reviews ye say ?
www.edmunds.com
That didn't make sense tho man...you said the a4 is in the same class as the Is (which it is) then you go on to say that well actually the is300 is a performance car... The are both sport/luxo sedans that have different strenghts and weaknesses in respect to performance (Lexus better for quarter, Audi better for track) Look at how quattro helps the s4 (B6 a4 is much stiffer, lighter, and better balanced than b5 S4) in the racing circuit (scroll down a little) http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/june/200206_feature_r8.xml?&keywords=audi&page=4
Japanese cars always get better scores in consumer reports, edmunds etc. because of superior reliablity - (CR gave a higher overall score to the POS Toyota Echo than to a MB S500 wtf :eek: ) Anyways, it doesn't say much else about the car

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
its just my imo cos i drive both car dood :)

i am not sure about a4 being a performance car cos i find em kinda floaty

love both cars, hard to decide at first, until i realize on how i turn my heads more whenever i saw an is300 :p

anyway, to most of my friend's perspective, is300 looks more like a racing and performance breed, whereas a4 looks a daily driving luxury breed

but each to its own :wink:

*but this i wish... an is300 with an a4 interior....that my friend, will be the perfect car for me... :chill:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
2002QuattrO said:
The are both sport/luxo sedans that have different strenghts and weaknesses in respect to performance (Lexus better for quarter, Audi better for track) Look at how quattro helps the s4 (B6 a4 is much stiffer, lighter, and better balanced than b5 S4) in the racing circuit (scroll down a little)
The B6 A4 is not lighther than the B5. The B6 is heavier, and slower than the B5. From what I understand, the suspension in the B6 is lighter than the B5. But I definately agree that the B6 A4 is more competent in the turns than the B5 S4.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Platinum288 said:
2002QuattrO said:
The are both sport/luxo sedans that have different strenghts and weaknesses in respect to performance (Lexus better for quarter, Audi better for track) Look at how quattro helps the s4 (B6 a4 is much stiffer, lighter, and better balanced than b5 S4) in the racing circuit (scroll down a little)
The B6 A4 is not lighther than the B5. The B6 is heavier, and slower than the B5. From what I understand, the suspension in the B6 is lighter than the B5. But I definately agree that the B6 A4 is more competent in the turns than the B5 S4.
:shame:
Notice I said the B6 A4 is lighter then the B5 -> S4 <- ...
The B6 A4 is 100 pounds heavier than the B5 -> A4 <- but also has a 30% stiffer chasis that allows it to greatly outhandle its predecesors.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weight distribution is better buddy, not to mention that the B6 has a 30% stiffer chasis compared to the b5...lol, you should know that :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
doublins said:
more likely than not, the lexus lost control in the story linked to above because the kid driving it was a ricer and fucked up his suspension by putting on sway bars that were too stiff for street driving, 18 inch rims with 30 profile tires, and had his shocks set to full stiff, without knowing the importance of properly balancing your suspension setup. When he passed over the changeover from concrete to asphalt, there was likely a small bump or change in pavement elevation. Because he had ultra-thin sidewalls and overly stiff sways, it caused his rear end to "hop" or skip out as it hit the bump, as his suspension did not absorb the shock to keep the rubber on the ground. The end result was his end sliding out entirely, because the frictional coefficient drops significantly once you lose static traction, and he lost control of the car. Not necessarily the fault of the IS, but more the result of someone ricing out their car without REALLY knowing what they are doing.

Just my 2 cents.

-C
That's probably exactly what happened :) Seriously, I agree with you. BTW, I'm the guy who was driving the Audi. And the guy wasn't a kid tho. Probably about 30-35 or so. Regardless, he didn't know how to handle the car, and was ill prepared to be doing what he was doing, where he was doing it. Bottom line: another IS300/Driver that was ineffective in a performance situation when compared to a B6 Audi.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
13 Participants
Benign
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing