Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps

Are these all the same thing? Does changing the B pipe remove the cat too? Is either changing B pipe, and header illegal? I don't want my car to fail emissions because I will be shipping the car to China in 2 years, this is a car I'll get to keep when I work in China in a few years.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
dj-jay said:
Hi peeps

Are these all the same thing? Does changing the B pipe remove the cat too? Is either changing B pipe, and header illegal? I don't want my car to fail emissions because I will be shipping the car to China in 2 years, this is a car I'll get to keep when I work in China in a few years.

Thanks
changing the b-pipe is just changing the resinator, when you remove the cat, that is when you are chaning the y-pipe. the resinator is the pipe after the axel back exhaust.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Our Exhausts come in 4 pieces total fromn exh port on the head ot tip of the muffler....

Header or Exh Manifold
Racepipe or Ypipe
B-pipe or Midpipe / Resonator
Axle back exh or Muffler section

They are all connected to each other in that order front to rear

The Race pipe is the collector shaped like a "Y" that connects to the exh manifold or a header.... XERD & others make aftermarket ones for $200 or so & they can make nice power Vs stock..... about 10 Plus or so depending on your car, Intake etc.....

B-pipe & Midpipe USUALLY refers to the resonator section that connects to the Race-pipe/Ypipe & the Exhaust's Axle back/muffler section....DT motorwerks & others sell ready made B pipes out od Stainless steel for around $200 there is little proof so far that they add more than a possible 3-5 HP overall & they DO add volume to the Exh note...

Some exhausts are "CAT " back, Most are Axle back.. .Tanabe medallions & Greddy Evo's are Cat back meaning they include a replacement B-pipe/ Midpipe... most others... Apexi/HKS/Ltuned/Rmm/Stillen/Carson etc etc are "Axle" back & do not replace the Resonator/ Bpipe/ Midpipe...

Replacing a Race/ Ypipe does NOT mean in nearly all cases that you need to replace the o2 sensor with a O2 Sim. & you more than likely WILL NOT throw a CE light & should pass smog we all seem to think....

Another Sticky...?

now where's My DOTS!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.