Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
asukadc said:
The shift knob from a stock one doesn’t screw back 100% tight, it spins a little

after installing mine yesterday I'm definantly impressed, but i had no issues with the stock shift knob being loose. make sure you hold the leather shift boot while you screw the knob back on b/c mine started to spin before the knob actually got tight. just spin it around a few more times and it's solid as a rock.

·
Registered
589 Posts
asukadc said:
I am so used to stock shifter for the past 30k miles or so, used to do heel and toe and now the timing is little different, getting re-adjusted, about 1 hr of driving got me back the feeling
·

The brake is so much higher than the gas pedal. I tightend the throttle body and did the TDD mod, and still i am not able to achieve toe and heel. MAybe I'm stupid, maybe its the car... I really dunno.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, you drive with it very cold in your car ;)

Can you post a link to B&M site so us n00bs and find the product? thanx

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Congrats on the mod. it was one of the best mods I had done to my IS...... A very very nice upgrade to stock shifts!!!

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
i'm definantly pleased with my B&M shifter install, but i still have the notchy feeling between 1st and 2nd gear. and i can't get into 1st unless the car is at a dead stop. and this is after i did a drain refill on the tranny and diff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just installed mine, and I'm wondering if it's louder than it's supposed to be. When on the gas there's a higher pitched, almost wind like noise. When I let off the gas it changes tone. Is this the whining noise people speak of?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
typeo65 said:
I just installed mine, and I'm wondering if it's louder than it's supposed to be. When on the gas there's a higher pitched, almost wind like noise. When I let off the gas it changes tone. Is this the whining noise people speak of?

Yessir this is what the whining noise we all speak of. I think by changing out the fluid it goes away. Or so members have said?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
AntzLexusIS said:
Yessir this is what the whining noise we all speak of. I think by changing out the fluid it goes away. Or so members have said?
No not really.

I have redline mt-90 tranny fluid and it still whines.

I put some dynamat around the shifter stalk and it helps with some of the chatter and noise, but it does not eliminate it all.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Seven0Three said:
i'm definantly pleased with my B&M shifter install, but i still have the notchy feeling between 1st and 2nd gear. and i can't get into 1st unless the car is at a dead stop. and this is after i did a drain refill on the tranny and diff.

You need to learn to double de-clutch on this IS to do this.

As you are rolling to a stop at say 15-20mph...

push clutch
go to neutral
blip accel
push clutch
go to 1st gear...it will effortlessly pop into gear when the revs match.

you can do this heel and toe or just the regular way and it does take practice.

No not really.

I have redline mt-90 tranny fluid and it still whines.

I put some dynamat around the shifter stalk and it helps with some of the chatter and noise, but it does not eliminate it all.
I use Amsoil and it whines. The OEM shifter is filled with a rubbery sound deadening material which is why it is quiet....the B&M is solid metal.
But you will get used to it and as the B&M instructions say the incease in performance is well worth the noise.

But I will dynamat it if I ever get around to it.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
CEB said:
You need to learn to double de-clutch on this IS to do this.

As you are rolling to a stop at say 15-20mph...

push clutch
go to neutral
blip accel
push clutch
go to 1st gear...it will effortlessly pop into gear when the revs match.

you can do this heel and toe or just the regular way and it does take practice.

sounds good, i've been learning ALOT of new things since i've bought this car. definantly a whole new world compared to my swapped civic

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've had mine for about 1 year and it's smoother and less noisy now. I credit this to mostly the synth. gear oil that I use. I highly recommend Royal Purple. It made a difference immediately.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I put deadening mat on mine, and then stuffed a few layers of closed cell foam in the shifter boot. Without the radio, it's still definitely noticeable. Not so much when maintaining speed, but when accelerating and deccelerating.

I'll be changing my fluids when I get my shipment of royal purple. If that lowers the noise, great. If not, oh well. Shifts are so dramatically shorter it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
A question for you all. I've been working with B&M now for a month, because of this problem: The shift knob twists a bit left and right. It was really bad at first, but they send me a new main shaft for the shifter and that seemed to help a bit. Part of the problem with it being a multi-piece shaft, is that it has gaskets between the main shaft, and the top shaft that slips over it. The pin used to connect those two together also has gaskets in it.

Anyone else with the B&M have this problem?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Seven said:
A question for you all. I've been working with B&M now for a month, because of this problem: The shift knob twists a bit left and right. It was really bad at first, but they send me a new main shaft for the shifter and that seemed to help a bit. Part of the problem with it being a multi-piece shaft, is that it has gaskets between the main shaft, and the top shaft that slips over it. The pin used to connect those two together also has gaskets in it.

I had this problem with the first B&M shifter I had...It would twist a little bit.

I recently bought another one and so far...so good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Seven said:

Ditto number 2 was a charm. (claim your Million Mile Warranty)

I recently had a rattle in my console so I pulled the ashtray shift boot piece and noticed when you accelerate hard the stock shifter whines too, the boot must silence most of that.

Currently working out kinks with my warranty work and modifying the B&M So its out for now but I'll have it back in this month with some more Amsoil.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've liked mine (thanks again 2JZ GE for the install help).

Did you guys have to use the stock plastic ball cap thing on the bottom of the shifter when you put it in, ditching the B&M provided one?

The stock shifter is very nice, and PLP shorty nice in its way too. The B&M is by far the shortest though. Got to break her in, it took weeks of driving to get used to it.

Oh yeah, I can't heal toe for sh*t with this car too, and I cry sh*tty pettle placement becuase with my mom's 5speed 97 accord I can heal toe without the slightest problem.

B.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
although i was some what satisfied with b&m, but the timing for me doing rev matching and heel and toe is always some what off a bit, decided to let it go. however the nice and crisp- only draw back was it's stiffness

1 - 20 of 22 Posts