Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So living in Wisconsin has the downfall of it's rather horrendous winters. At the same time it has helped bring to light a small problem with my car that I am not sure what it is. Whenever the temperature drops to below about 30 degrees, my car occasionally sounds like it is being dropped from a cliff like you hear in the old cartoons. I was wondering what that noise is. It will generally start sounding between 30-35 mph, any higher the noise just goes away. But if I start to decelerate, that is when the "bombshell dropping" sound begins. I have been told that it is probably my transmission and should just get it flushed. I have also been told that it is one of my axles. If anyone knows about this problem and could give me some insight at fixing it with costs, that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Need more information.

Are you accel/cruise/decel when it happens? Is it a single/many large thump? During shifts? Can you describe the noise again?

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
so, 30-35 mph you occasionally get thumping noises of some type and under deceleration you get a whistling/whining sound?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is purely a whistle sound, when it starts the tone is lower and gets higher where it plateau's at about 35 mph and when i let off the gas and the car naturally slows down, it gives you that "bombshell falling" whistle

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Well...your problem is definitely not a common problem for this platform. But it does sound like a problem that could be in the transmission or the rear end. A bearing, gear mesh, oiling, or clearance related problem.

I'd definitely start with a flush of the transmission and the differential. Probably not both at the same time so you can localize where the problem is if there's a change. I would definitely do that before too long as there may be further damage caused if it's fluid related.

If it's a problem within either component...at least know that healthy working examples of either can be had in the used market rather inexpensively. It's probably not worthwhile trying to fix any internal problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.