Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last week, there have been times I started my car and a slight grinding sound was heard when i started the car. The sound is brief and the car runs like normal afterwards and i have not noticed anything else unusual... It seems to run perfectly fine... The odd thing is that it only happens once every five or six times i start my car... Any ideas on what it could be? I should probably take it in....

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
In the last week, there have been times I started my car and a slight grinding sound was heard when i started the car. The sound is brief and the car runs like normal afterwards and i have not noticed anything else unusual... It seems to run perfectly fine... The odd thing is that it only happens once every five or six times i start my car... Any ideas on what it could be? I should probably take it in....

Thanks,
Tony
Yeah, it's the VVT-i cam gear rattle. There's a TSIB for it, it's some insane number of hours of labor as they take half the motor apart to fix it.

Only thing is- they'll usually only do it if they hear it, and since it's only occasional that can be tough.

Definitely something you want fixed though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Knightshade... Whats is a TSIB? Also, the engine runs completely normal, except for the occasional grinding sound at start, so is their high risk in not getting it imeediately fixed? Does this happen to a lot of cars?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Thank you Knightshade... Whats is a TSIB? Also, the engine runs completely normal, except for the occasional grinding sound at start, so is their high risk in not getting it imeediately fixed? Does this happen to a lot of cars?
TSIB=Technical Service Information Bulletin

I think they recently changed the name to LSB or something (lexus service bulletin) but most are still listed as TSIBs.

It only happens on older models (they updated the part for later cars) but it's certainly something you'd want fixed sooner than later.

There's probably a newer version of the TSIB by now (updated to an LSB designation) but you can see one copy of it here:

LexusTSB.com - Free Lexus FAQ, TSB, TSIB, Repair, and More! :: TSIB EG019-07 ('06 - '07 IS350): Brief Engine Knock & Rattle Noise At Cold Startup

Click on the PDF under 'attachments'

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im having mine done next week. In my case they didn't have to hear it. All I did was mention the sound and the service manager said that they "lexus" were very aware of the problem. It does not harm the engine but I personally would not let it go for a over a year, it should be addressed. If you can find the TSIB online just bring it in with you. Its about a 6-8 hour job which involves removing a few engine parts...i think #EG019-07

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K... so I took my car into the shop the other day, and got it fixed. The service guy initially fronted like he's never heard of the problem before, but he took my car in. They told me they actually needed to hear the sound in order for them to go ahead and fix it. Like Knightshade said, it was the "camgear." Thanks for the info, btw... The car itself, seems to run fine. But i wondering if its ok to rod on the car. Or do i need to take it easy for a few hundred miles?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey Knightshade... do you know if they've updated the TSB? I can only find it for 2006-2007 models, yet my 2008 has the same problem.

I did the brake TSB and originally I went in with the 2006-2007 papers and the dealership wouldn't do it for me, and you might recall that you found me the updated one, which did the trick.

I'd like to have a TSB which includes my year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just had mine fixed. They had it one and a half days. They replaced the intake cam VVTI actuators. Which means lots of gaskets, gear assembly camshaft and the insulator for the fuel pump. The car sounds great and performs perfect. I just hope I don't hear it again. All under warranty (thank god).

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just started happening to my car as well. Makes a weird grinding noise - almost like it's going to stall out- the check engine light goes on sometimes and then goes off... only happens intermittently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts