Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Given the engine computer won't work with the transmission I doubt anyone has done this. The IS350 has VDIM and expects RWD, the 250 doesn't have VDIM sensors/controls and obviously requires completely different transmission management.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I always wonder why we don't have an IS350 AWD. They already mated AWD to the 3.5L V6 in the GS350. BMW and Infiniti have AWD systems with their bigger 6 cylidner engines.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No can do at all. The ecu will go crazy. :nono:

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Given the ECU is encrypted, not so much.

And an AWD IS350 would likely eat into AWD GS sales a bit, which Lexus probably doesn't have much interest in.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Given the ECU is encrypted, not so much.

And an AWD IS350 would likely eat into AWD GS sales a bit, which Lexus probably doesn't have much interest in.
True but I would assume since it is a dif segment they would be all over it

I mean look at other car companies that have the same "car" with dif options, dare I say BMW :lol:

But maybe one day if the GS will jump way up in sales and then the IS will get more features

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Because it wouldn't work for a half a dozen or so different reasons? (The same ECU problem, the engine and transmission not ever being designed to bolt together, the transmission not holding that much power, etc, etc...)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Since I don't want to give up any power to the mechanics of an AWD system (not to mention the added weight), I'd probably pass on an AWD version of this car unless I lived in an area with severe winter weather. Where I live, the VDIM coupled with some Bridgestone Blizzaks is fine for winter.

-Mike

Reactions: JayMarino

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Since I don't want to give up any power to the mechanics of an AWD system (not to mention the added weight), I'd probably pass on an AWD version of this car unless I lived in an area with severe winter weather. Where I live, the VDIM coupled with some Bridgestone Blizzaks is fine for winter.

-Mike
Agreed. AWD is very overrated. It sells though. But, the IS250 AWD is more of the everyday car......the car that yer mom buys. The IS350 is a performance sedan. Road and Track Magazine tested the IS350 and ran identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the V8 Audi S4. And that has what 340hp and gets 13mpg and of course AWD.

Reactions: mytwinsaregr8

·
Registered
575 Posts

-Mike
AWD cars are starting to be looked at more and more as performance incentives. The added weight doesnt bog it down enough to shadow the much quicker off-the-line take off, nor the superior handling. Id take an awd 350 over the current one anyday. Might I remind anyone about cars like the STi, Lancer Evo, S4, RS4,... u get the picture.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
AWD cars are starting to be looked at more and more as performance incentives. The added weight doesnt bog it down enough to shadow the much quicker off-the-line take off, nor the superior handling. Id take an awd 350 over the current one anyday. Might I remind anyone about cars like the STi, Lancer Evo, S4, RS4,... u get the picture.
Superior handling?

How do you figure?

It's heavier.

I mean, sure, if you're racing through mud off-road, or all over ice, yeah... but on a normal paved surface a RWD car will hand the same vehicle with AWD its ass in handling at any kinda street able power level. (We're not discussing 1000 hp race cars after all)

AWD is NOT for handling. It's for traction. Those are very different things.

Modern traction control systems work just fine for launching (or you can learn how to drive your own car properly, that works pretty good too), and I'll stick to those rather than adding hundreds of useless pounds to the car with an AWD system that'll make it handle -worse- on paved surfaces and kick the gas mileage in the nads while doing it.

The Sti and Lancer type cars are rally racers, designed for racing on dirt, gravel, snow, and other unpredictable surfaces. Great if you're actually rally racing... slow and stupid for a car driven 100% of the time on pavement.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Superior handling?
How do you figure?
It's heavier.
I mean, sure, if you're racing through mud off-road, or all over ice, yeah... but on a normal paved surface a RWD car will hand the same vehicle with AWD its ass in handling at any kinda street able power level. (We're not discussing 1000 hp race cars after all)

AWD is NOT for handling. It's for traction. Those are very different things.

Modern traction control systems work just fine for launching (or you can learn how to drive your own car properly, that works pretty good too), and I'll stick to those rather than adding hundreds of useless pounds to the car with an AWD system that'll make it handle -worse- on paved surfaces and kick the gas mileage in the nads while doing it.
You dont need to be in mudd or snow to feel the handling differences. With power at the OUTER front wheel as well as the OUTER rear wheel, a car will accelerate out of the apex of a curve much quicker, with less tire spin/squeal than a RWD.
You say AWD provides traction and not handling, but in order to handle, you need to have traction

1 - 20 of 45 Posts