Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if Lexus will copy what BMW is doing with the 3 series and make an AWD IS300?
I really want an IS300, but I live in Minneapolis and feel I need FWD or AWD.
I have a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder RWD - Mid engine and it goes no where in winter.
I don't want to trade in only to find the IS300 will be a pain to drive in winter.
I have seen a bunch of the IS300s around here, but I figure they are richer than I and have an SUV or something else for winter.
I would love a new Intensa Blue IS300. Looks killer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In Japan, the Sportcross (Altezza Gita)models have an All-Wheel Drive option. The Sportcross will finally offer the 3.0 engine and they will have AWD with 4AT. They only have the 2.0 liter for the Sedan. The downside is that the AWD models don't come with 5AT. Also, the Japanese 3.0 liter produces 220hp rather than 215hp. I think it is very possible they may offer AWD here in the US....

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
lexus won't "copy" BMW... they'll offer a IS300 with mad options for much less, as the BMW 3** ix is waste of money/way overpriced. Lexus will offer a competitor soon, I am sure of it.

·
8,880 Posts
I live in Cleveland, OH. It snows heavily at times. I put 16" rims and Blizzak LM22 snow tires. Forget about SUVs, that car on snow tires is like a snow mobile. I pass them all. I had no problem at all driving this winter. IS handles far better than any SUV out there. Don't forget, 4WD or AWD, all of them brake using all 4 wheels. IS has one hell of brakes on it. Opt for the VSC and LSD and you'll be good to go.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by Gennady:
I didn't know BMW had plans going AWD for their 3-seires?
It was already offered as 2001 330xi.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
330xi is much slower than 330i and 330ci i test drove all 3 last week...thinken of getting one. anywasy if an is300 was to come in awd or 4wheel which I DOUBT, it would be call IX300. or ISX300. Most likely IX300. that's why RX has an X and LX has an X becuase X stands for 4 X 4...but i know you all know that so don't bite my head off, im just tryen to help out a lil
peace

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dude, I grew up in Minne. and now live in South Dakota. The winters are worse in SD and the IS does just fine. May I suggest snow tires though. It's true, on ice or light snow I get around better than with my Chevy truck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by habibnazir:
330xi is much slower than 330i and 330ci i test drove all 3 last week...thinken of getting one. anywasy if an is300 was to come in awd or 4wheel which I DOUBT, it would be call IX300. or ISX300. Most likely IX300. that's why RX has an X and LX has an X becuase X stands for 4 X 4...but i know you all know that so don't bite my head off, im just tryen to help out a lil
peace
On the contrary I felt the 330Xi was much faster. Even in the car mags they had faster times (ie: 330Xi;14.6 vs. 330Ci;14.8). But from my own personal experience, they did feel faster.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by LexusIS886:
On the contrary I felt the 330Xi was much faster. Even in the car mags they had faster times (ie: 330Xi;14.6 vs. 330Ci;14.8). But from my own personal experience, they did feel faster.
How can that be possible?
The AWD option adds the extra weight.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by vlad_a:
[qb]On the contrary I felt the 330Xi was much faster. Even in the car mags they had faster times (ie: 330Xi;14.6 vs. 330Ci;14.8). But from my own personal experience, they did feel faster.
[/QB]
And with power going to 4 wheels, you have additional drive line losses, as well as a decreased turning radius since the front wheels will be attached to the drive shaft

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by s0yb0mb:
Originally posted by vlad_a:
[qb]
[qb]On the contrary I felt the 330Xi was much faster. Even in the car mags they had faster times (ie: 330Xi;14.6 vs. 330Ci;14.8). But from my own personal experience, they did feel faster.
[/QB]
And with power going to 4 wheels, you have additional drive line losses, as well as a decreased turning radius since the front wheels will be attached to the drive shaft[/QB]

My guess is a better traction/launch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts