Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought myself a set of Avon M550 A/S, figuring that since i live in chicago now and with snow, the potenza's were just not going to cut it. Well, after today's incident, they are definately coming off. Was takin an offramp slower than the posted limit, and slid off it? Dry road, and tires warmed up from rolling on them slightly spirited for 45 minutes before that?

Thank god there was no concrete barrier to hold me in, because i slid a good 80 feet off into the dirt. Luckily i didnt roll, and made it back onto the road, but definately had no traction when taking normal turns after that, even after doing a burnout in the parking lot i pulled off into when i inspected the car.

Anyone know of an all season that has fairly good traction in all conditions around the $100 - 130 range? Would greatly appreciate any points in a better direction

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
That is unbelievable that the tires are that bad. You are sure that the tire pressure is proper? Glad to hear you did not do any serious damage or get hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
back now from visiting Just Tires, and getting some pirelli's in on tuesday. Yea, tires were inflated to 35PSI all around. Least they are doing it as an even trade, even though the pirelli's are a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Fkn a dude. That sucks. Glad everything is working out for you alright though with the tire swap and all. The pirelli nero m+s.... those?

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I think you need to look into something else possibly causing the slip in the corner cause a tire would basically have to be made of slick plastic to do that. Ive never used Avon car tires but i use there tires on my chopper and they are great tires

·
Registered
675 Posts
that sux but yea like OKCIS say might be something else also to consider. My stock potenza's never did anything that bad and I corner pretty hard that's why after only 10k on those im on P Zero Nero's M/S now. Had the Nero's for 25k good tire for the price and at tirerack they are 130 each 225/45/18's. The nero's AA traction ultra high performace a/s tires. Good luck

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
did you break them in properly when you initially bought them? there are procedures for properly breaking in tires, just like brakes.

however, REALLY GLAD to hear that you're safe and didn't hit anything. makes me shudder to think if it were to happen somewhere industrial or in a neighborhood with kids playin ball or street hockey. thanks for the heads up though,

-Aaron

·
Registered
42 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
did you break them in properly when you initially bought them? there are procedures for properly breaking in tires, just like brakes.

however, REALLY GLAD to hear that you're safe and didn't hit anything. makes me shudder to think if it were to happen somewhere industrial or in a neighborhood with kids playin ball or street hockey. thanks for the heads up though,

-Aaron

This is an excellent point, there is a release compound that new tires have to allow them to separate from the mould during manufacture, and to increase shelf life. While i dont ever recommend skimping on rubber, it sounds like you hadnt worn off the release compound yet. All tires are a little slick until you do.

On a side note, i know a few people using the Avon Tech 550 a/s and they dont suck horribly, i wouldnt buy them, but they arent rubbish either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
man, glad you didnt fuck anything up, that would be some bad luck with your other incident

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
That's cus Avon makes beauty products!!

j/k..

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
you might want to contact Avon Tires and share your experience with them, and let them know you plan on alerting the NHTSA with the info.

Not only is that the right thing to do, but they may also reimburse you for the cost of your Avon's .... maybe even the Pirelle's if they have any semblance of moral integrity.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
First off quit putting Armor All on your tread. :lol:

On a more serious note that's not right at all that your tires should do anything like that. As for a replacement set I highly recommend the Pilot Sport A/S (although they are out of your price range). It's the only all season tire i've seen that drives like a summer tire in the summer and a snow tire in the winter.

BTW if you go to the Wheel and Tire Forum there are several stickies at the top that rate the best tires (All-season and Winter). http://my.is/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95

:)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi Seven, when i dont run on my 19's (the curb rashed ones you saw) i have a set of Continental all seasons on my stock 17's for the winter. So far i survived last winter and i find them to handle very well everywhere else.

It's very good you're all right, and i bet you have a lot of cleaning up to do (from that mud ;) ) good luck, stay safe.

+rep to DMTaylor for the link

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Falken's on my IS and they aren't too bad, though I don't think I'll keep them on for the winter. I am looking at buying 4 winter tires and then replacing the Falkens with summer rubber next year. And I live on Long Island, which has a pretty moderate winter. In Chicago I would think winter tires are an automatic purchase, especially with rear wheel drive...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts