Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying new tires this week, studying reviews intensely. Need more feedback. AVON's sound great, although the flatspots thing is annoying (i have this problem with the stockies on there now), and the Pirellis sound equally qualified. I live in NJ, commute 30+ miles on the highway at 80mph the entire time. Need M+S tires cause we see every type of weather up here in NJ. Let me know please.

MIkey

2003 GGP 5speed manual

·
Registered
675 Posts
P zero nero's m+s good compromise between dry and all season traction. I also hear that the avon's are more of a luxury oriented tire so they are softer on the sidewalls but are quieter than the nero's, they also may be better in the snow if you look at the pics all of those snow sipes. I've had my nero's for 25,000 miles they are a little louder than I like but for about 130 a piece can'gt beat the price. I used to squeal my stock potenza's all the time these are much quieter. Only one thing these tires read road groves, it's not dangerous just have to pay more attention at 80. Snow traction is untested last year no snow in MD. I also have a 2003 msm 5sp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am going through the same decision. I commute everyday and need a reliable, smooth, all-season tire. I narrowed it down to these two. The PZeros are available at discount tire...what about the Avons?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
avons are offered through TireRack. What was the price of the PZeros at Discount Tire? Tirerack wants 118 for the PZeros and 108 i think for the Avons.

They're both good tires... but i just want to make sure i dont make the wrong choice.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Pirelli's, I love them. They're not a summer tire, but handle decent for an all-season.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats meant by summer tire? Are they not as responsive and agressive as a normal max performance tire? if thats the case then i can live with that...

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Pirelli Pzero nero MS is a crap tire... i strongly suggest you stay away from this tire if you like to DRIVE your car... Mine only lasted me 8k (metal wires were popin out all over)..

Very loud tire...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I strongly agree with ^^^. Had them last time. They sucked so bad, tracked grooves on the road, slid all over, wet or dry, poor accel. Now I got BFGoodrich g-Force Sport. They're awesome for the price. Highly recommend these.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok... here's one for you then, this whole summer vs. all season tire stuff...

Our cars are RWD, (forget the snow button). Does it even matter what tire you have if there is any more than 2" of snow on the ground?

Am i wasting my money on a tire thats not really going to do me much good anyways because in NJ when it snows... it realllllllly snows?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm interested in the Pirelli's as well, but the common complaint I have heard is about tracking the grooves on the road. How bad is it compared to stock potenza tires (since I have noticed that they do this as well)? Is it only a problem at higher speeds?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
The PZero's do tramline quite badly.

I only use them for a rear tire and have gone with Toyo Proxes for a front tire.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
buister said:
I strongly agree with ^^^. Had them last time. They sucked so bad, tracked grooves on the road, slid all over, wet or dry, poor accel. Now I got BFGoodrich g-Force Sport. They're awesome for the price. Highly recommend these.
yeah my friend has those bfg's and says they're good

1 - 16 of 16 Posts