Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed, when you plug in your iPod (or any MP3 player) to the AUX port and plug in your player to the power adapter, there's a high-pitched whine (low volume, but very noticeable) coming from the speakers? Try it with and without plugging in the power adapter. Without the power adapter plugged in, the sound is very clean--plug in the power adapter, it sounds rather staticy.

I have the Nav/Levinson audio. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Indeed! I have noticed the same thing. I thought it was a defective power adapter!

I have an IPOD... which works great otherwise (including plugged in @ the office/home).

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is a known problem with. It actually has to do with the way that the power adapters are designed. They combine the power and audio ground. This noise is then coupled onto the audio ground when AUX input is used. Toyota/Lexus is working on a fix. For right now your best bet is to use a ground loop isolator with the adapters to take it from mini-phono to rca and back to mini-phono. Or just not use the charger when using the Ipod in the car. By the way this happens on more players than just the Ipod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info... I knew I can get better info here than trying to figure it out by myself :)

I experimented with an iPod and an XM radio as well. What I found was that if the player is plugged into a power source, I can hear the whine. But, if the player is not plugged in (same situation I described earlier), but the power port is plugged in and the other player is on (so for example):

iPod: not plugged into power source, plugged into AUX and playing
XM Radio: plugged into power source, not plugged into AUX and playing

I hear no whine from the iPod. So how does this relate to power/audio grounding?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay, now 70% of the current players are iPods, so why wouldn't Lexus offer an upgrade to have the iPod charged available. Just so we could control the iPod with the steering wheel controls and such.

The problem is that Crutchfield is the only company that I have been able to find that carries authentic iPod OEM adapters, and they still don't have it for the IS350.

Amazingly, most of the iPod to factory radio adapter makers have applications for every car EXCEPT Lexus. What gives?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts