Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been searching for quite a while now and i have found plenty of discussion on why the aux in volume gets cut in half however i didnt see anyone actually solve the problem or give a definitive answer on how to do it. i did the aux in and am only getting half volume. i was wondering if anyone fixed this and how?

btw, i follewed drinkmilk's addendum to sophiesleeps write up

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Gosha16 said:
ive been searching for quite a while now and i have found plenty of discussion on why the aux in volume gets cut in half however i didnt see anyone actually solve the problem or give a definitive answer on how to do it. i did the aux in and am only getting half volume. i was wondering if anyone fixed this and how?

btw, i follewed drinkmilk's addendum to sophiesleeps write up
If you followmy addenum down to the T then you will not get the half volume problem. The answers are out there, but I think they might have been spread across several threads. If you need a more detailed explaination you can PM me and I'll try to summarize it for you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, ok here is what i did. i just snipped, then white to inner and red to outer of 1 rca then green to inner black to outer of the other rca. thats it. shouldnt i be getting full volume?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Gosha16 said:
hmm, ok here is what i did. i just snipped, then white to inner and red to outer of 1 rca then green to inner black to outer of the other rca. thats it. shouldnt i be getting full volume?
The full volume issue does not stem from the AUX input actually, it's caused by grounding the (-) side of the balanced signal coming out of the headunit (as done in sophiesleeps' original instructions). What you did above is correct for the AUX input leads, but I'd need to know what you did with the leads coming out of the headunit to let you know if you will have half volume or not.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Gosha16 said:
what i did with leads comming out of my head unit? cut them and left them hanging :lol:
So you don't plan on ever connecting the headunit signal again? You're only gonna use the headunit for volume control/fader/teb/bass/etc...?

If that's the case, you'll never run into the half volume problem.

One last thing, I would ground the (-) leads of your aux input source to the Yellow wire of your headunit..... this is to give the aux input source and your headunit/stockamp a common ground.

EDIT: The comment about the Yellow wire is from memory, you might want to double check the wiring diagrams to make sure that the Yellow wire from the headunit is really ground.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. interesting. y am i getting such low volume then? i moved the headunit to the trunk and am aux inputting my carputer. any ideas on why it would be so quiet?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Gosha16 said:
hmm. interesting. y am i getting such low volume then? i moved the headunit to the trunk and am aux inputting my carputer. any ideas on why it would be so quiet?
Ummm, just to state the obvious, turn up the volume from you carputer? The stock amp expects a higher than usual voltage for its input signal.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
of course ive done that, the thing is, i turn my head unit volume to about 3/4 and then use my computer volume. until about 40% the volume keeps going up, but then it sorta flattens out. as in there isnt much of a differance between 50% and 100% on the computer volume.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts