Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The July 16, 2001 issue of Autoweek has a short article on the manual IS:

IS300: No more tranny gap

Sensing a shortfall in the IS300's repertoire when compared to say, a BMW 3 Series or an Audi A4, Toyota's luxury division will offer its sport sedan with a five-speed manual transmission beginning in August.

Not that the IS300's five-speed electronically controlled automatic is a slouch, but the manual, as any manual will, gives drivers better control of the engine's power. In this case that's 215 hp and 218 lb-ft of torque from the dohc VVT-i-controlled 24-valve inline six. Lexus says the new transmission knocks off half a second in 0-to-60 times, from 7.3 to 6.8.

The manual transmission has a numerically lower final drive ratio than the automatic, but higher ratios in first and fifth. Both automatic and manual share 1:1.000 ratios in fourth. The five-speed manual in the IS300 is a variation of the five-speed manual from the SC300, which in turn is a variation of the six-speed manual from the Supra.

Lexus expects to find 1600 takers for the manual-tranny IS300 in the remainder of 2001 and another 4800 per year after that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I thought Lexus had a 7.1 second 0-60 for the automatic?? That would make it about 6.6 sec for the manual by Lexus figures.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
still slow, but that can be taken care of very quickly.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
At the autoshows Lexus claimed 6.5 sec 0-60 with the manual transmission. It looks like Autoweek's 0-60 test was 7.3 sec, so they subtracted .5 sec from that time to get 6.8 sec. According to the Autoweek article, Lexus only said that the manual transmission takes off .5 sec but doesn't state the actual times. Thus, it seems to me that these numbers aren't from Lexus.

I find the comment about the transmission to be very interesting. As I recall, the 6-speed Supra transmission was a Getrag unit, so does that mean the manual IS300 will have a Getrag-made gearbox?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
you are correct, the 6 speed was a getrag. i don't think the 5 speed will be though, as i don't think the 5 speed was a getrag unit in the early SC's either, but maybe.

Originally posted by JW:
At the autoshows Lexus claimed 6.5 sec 0-60 with the manual transmission. It looks like Autoweek's 0-60 test was 7.3 sec, so they subtracted .5 sec from that time to get 6.8 sec. According to the Autoweek article, Lexus only said that the manual transmission takes off .5 sec but doesn't state the actual times. Thus, it seems to me that these numbers aren't from Lexus.

I find the comment about the transmission to be very interesting. As I recall, the 6-speed Supra transmission was a Getrag unit, so does that mean the manual IS300 will have a Getrag-made gearbox?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Damn, half a second? And some of the reviews of the auto had it at 7.7 sec 0-60, so it'd be 7.2 sec? That's slower than a 325i! And probably slower than the new Altima or Maxima. Maybe Lexus will update the engine next year, I think it needs it.

Originally posted by bobo:
The July 16, 2001 issue of Autoweek has a short article on the manual IS:

IS300: No more tranny gap

Sensing a shortfall in the IS300's repertoire when compared to say, a BMW 3 Series or an Audi A4, Toyota's luxury division will offer its sport sedan with a five-speed manual transmission beginning in August.

Not that the IS300's five-speed electronically controlled automatic is a slouch, but the manual, as any manual will, gives drivers better control of the engine's power. In this case that's 215 hp and 218 lb-ft of torque from the dohc VVT-i-controlled 24-valve inline six. Lexus says the new transmission knocks off half a second in 0-to-60 times, from 7.3 to 6.8.

The manual transmission has a numerically lower final drive ratio than the automatic, but higher ratios in first and fifth. Both automatic and manual share 1:1.000 ratios in fourth. The five-speed manual in the IS300 is a variation of the five-speed manual from the SC300, which in turn is a variation of the six-speed manual from the Supra.

Lexus expects to find 1600 takers for the manual-tranny IS300 in the remainder of 2001 and another 4800 per year after that.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Maybe Lexus is being conservative with their figures for once.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
That same article is Autoweek states that the manual tranny is a variation of the SC300 manual tranny that was offered!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts