Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, long time lurking member here and I thought I would share my recent experience with the Autosports Engineering Is300 Triple Pump Hanger with you all in case you were interested in buying one.

First off was the ordering experience. I ordered the Hanger with two Walbro 525 Hellcats. After about a week and a half of no email updates I called and was told he did not have any pumps in stock (even though when ordering they showed to be in stock and no info about them being backordered). I said ok thats fine just send out the hanger, refund the difference and I will buy the pumps elsewhere. I was told ok and i should see the difference refunded. I waited another week later still nothing, no order update no refund. So i call again and he says the pumps just came in and he is putting together my order that day and I should see a shipping email update. Ok. So I wait for the shipping email to show up, still nothing. 3 days later finally I get a "a tracking number is created" email and it stays that way, never to be updated to shipped. About 5 days later the package finally came. I opened it up and everything was there so I sat it aside until I was ready to start working on it.
Needless to say the whole process of ordering was a pain in the ass and turned me off a bit, something as a triple pump hanger should have brought feelings of joy and instead I had a sour taste in my mouth, but I finally had it after a little more than 3 weeks.

Assembly:

So I finally start assembling the hanger and everything look like it was manufactured pretty well. I begin wiring everything up and notice the connectors are a little cheap and flimsy, I crimp my wires with all of the provided pins and insert them into the connector. All of them go in nicely and clip except for one that just keeps falling out of the connector. I look inside of the connector and the clip that holds the pin in is missing. I look closer and it appeared that it was never there to begin with (bad manufacturing). So I go to AE website to check the price of another and $15 for another connector, wow. By this time I was already bitter about the order process and being left in the dark about the status of the backordered pumps, so I checked around the web for an equivalent connector. I ordered two equivalents from Ballenger Motorsports and these connectors were of much much better quality than the AE connectors that came with the pump. Thicker and what feels like frp instead of soft pliable plastic. I finish the connector wiring and begin on the pumps. Trying to figure out a good way of mounting the 2 pumps, connectors and float assembly was quite difficult. The provided hoses seemed almost too short and not exactly the same size as the one in the AE youtube assembly video. The video showed the return hose as being about a foot ling and every piece of hose I recieved was a little longer than 6 inches. This made trying to find space for the siphon jet very difficult as all of the feed and return ports on the bottom are all within about a 1.5"x1.5" space and because it needs to be flipped 180 degrees. I then made the decision to ditch the stock old siphon jet for a Radium siphon jet that feeds from the top. Even with the Radium piece, space was tight but a lot more efficient. I then installed the pump float assembly and finally found a good spot for everything where it was as compact and close to the center of the assembly as possible.

Installation into the tank:

I did a bit of research before I tried installing the assembly into the tank because I knew it was going to be a challenge. There isnt really anything out there for the Is300, mostly supras so I was ready to give it a shot. I started by getting the float inside of the tank and began to get the bottoms of the pumps in. And that is where things went south. Because the two pumps are so wide there is barely enough space to get them in, but it seemed possible. The holdup i had was the float arm and location of the float wiper assembly. Because the float arm is a 45 degree angle to the wiper assembly as you lower the hanger in, the arm begins to push against the little resting post that the arm is held up by. If you push any more, the arm WILL break the little resting post. I tried every possible thing I could to no avail. The reason for this is how the float assembly is installed on the hanger. Instead of being installed parallel with the housing like this =, it is perpendicular like this T, because of this the float assembly extends out to where the mounting surface is. This means you need to angle the hanger into the tank which is impossible because of the two pumps which prevent you from tilting once they enter the tank. I attempted to move things around to make it work, but it will not without damaging the float arm and resting post.

Without some sort of modification to this entire assembly i feel it is not physically possible for both pumps and the float to be entered into the tank with how I recieved it.

I removed the float assembly and I can in fact fit the hanger with both pumps into the tank so there is no doubt there. But it is advertised as being able to retain the float.
Taking a look at PHR's triple hanger they mount the float like this = which allows it to clear the tank flange as you drop it in. But like i said earlier AE has the float mounted T which protrudes too far and becomes interference while dropping in.

Conclusion:

Honestly I would have bought something else if I saw some reviews on this hanger. I guess there is a reason why there arent any and the comments are disabled on AE's youtube video. I emailed the owner regarding this issue so we will see what is said. If you are looking for an aftermarket hanger that can retain the float, go with someone else like PHR or someone who can actually show the product being entered into the tank.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Good review, thanks for posting it. I bought a three set of the coil pack brackets (for a 2jz to use the 1NZ coils) from ASE. The parts were machined great, good fitment, but he couldn’t get his shit together enough to send a complete set. First round I got 2 fronts, no middle, one rear bracket. Second round, some other combo but still no middle bracket. Long story short I ended up modding it to make it work so I could get the car put back together.

I ended up getting a FullBlown Motorsports pump hanger for an Evo VIII and turning the tophat down on a lathe just a bit. Other than that it will fit right in. I did not know PHR made an IS300 hanger, so that’s good to know. At the time Squash Performance did not have any for sale via Figs, and I sure as hell wasn’t buying anything else from ASE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update to this:

Ive minimized the amount of hose and wiring to the absoulte minimum and installed the hanger into the tank. With the float facing the only direction it can inside of the tank, the inlet/outlet ports face the drivers side of the car and sit level with the sheet metal of the service port making it impossible to even get fittings onto it. Looking at the website it appears that there are two COMPLETELY different designs in the photos of the hanger by itself and the hanger actually installed into the car. The location of the inlet/outlet ports are completely different as well as the location of the float mount. Clearly it was known that the design was wrong, and yet the faulty design is/was still being shipped out. To make matters even worse, because of the design, in an attempt to extract the unit back out of the tank I ended up breaking my float unit. So now I am left with a pumper hanger that isnt designed correctly and a broken $100 float assembly.

I have also had communication with other IS300 owners who have stated that they have had nothing but problems with this pump hanger as well, which only confirms to me that we recieved faulty products.

I have contacted AE in an attempt to exhange the faulty designed unit with a correct one, so we will see what they say. I will post up anymore updates as we go along.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
have contacted ASE in an attempt to exhange the faulty designed unit with a correct one, so we will see what they say. I will post up anymore updates as we go along.
Hope they make it right. Wasn’t my experience but maybe yours will be better. Guys got good ideas and cnc skills but not ready for the big time IMO. It’s obvious that he can make a part that will fit the car, but as you’ve found it won’t fit correctly. These shops that have success have Supras and IS test beds they can go try parts on. There’s more to it than scanning a factory part and modeling a new one in SolidWorks and machining then shipping it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope they make it right. Wasn’t my experience but maybe yours will be better. Guys got good ideas and cnc skills but not ready for the big time IMO. It’s obvious that he can make a part that will fit the car, but as you’ve found it won’t fit correctly. These shops that have success have Supras and IS test beds they can go try parts on. There’s more to it than scanning a factory part and modeling a new one in SolidWorks and machining then shipping it.
I got in contact with him again, and after being told that there is nothing wrong with it I proceeded to send pictures to him in which he responded saying he would send me a new top hat.

I recieved the new top hat and attempted to assemble the pumps, float and feed hoses. By this time my patience with the entire assembly was very little and I fitted the pumps and feed hoses on. Only to be confeonted woth the fact that with the new top hat, the float assembly was now in the way...I decided that I am done with this as I am not going to struggle and fudge things to this work.

Long story short, I purchased the PHR pump hanger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the PHR hanger and boy what a difference. Everything assemble perfectly and fit perfectly. The only thing i did was solder the wires going to the float assembly instead of using the little terminals they supplied as they got in the way of seating the tophat on the tank.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Scientific instrument Gas Engineering Machine Wood

Automotive tire Audio equipment Hood Electrical wiring Engineering

Speedometer Light Automotive tire Gauge Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Grey Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

So in conclusion...just go with the PHR pump hanger if you are going with multiple in tank pumps.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
debating on using PHR or go with Radium
I’ve got their fuel rail and the valve cover swivel ports. It is good stuff! I have not seen their fuel pump hanger for the IS300, though. PHR and the ASE are all I have seen currently availiable. Squash Performance used to make one, and the old school SRT is good if you can find a used one. I’m running a FullBlown Motorsports Evo VIII hanger that took just a little work to fit.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I’ve got their fuel rail and the valve cover swivel ports. It is good stuff! I have not seen their fuel pump hanger for the IS300, though. PHR and the ASE are all I have seen currently availiable. Squash Performance used to make one, and the old school SRT is good if you can find a used one. I’m running a FullBlown Motorsports Evo VIII hanger that took just a little work to fit.
Right now, I have the Aristo hanger and system....and from what I was told, I can use their Supra version for the GTE...but I'm debating because I don't plan to run 800whp....500whp is good enough for WA. I'm trying to see if I can get away with a larger fuel pump and rail and injectors but I don't think I can.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
500whp is good enough for WA. I'm trying to see if I can get away with a larger fuel pump and rail and injectors but I don't think I can.
One of the big Walbros (450, 480, 525, 535) will certainly handle 500whp on pump gas or E85. I made a thread about how to modify a stock hanger to accommodate one of these pumps.

·
Registered
721 Posts
One of the big Walbros (450, 480, 525, 535) will certainly handle 500whp on pump gas or E85. I made a thread about how to modify a stock hanger to accommodate one of these pumps.

Hmmm, interesting....no issues so far with the modification? It seems easy enough. I was thinking of the 450 but was told it doesn't fit in the stock Aristo hanger but if it can fit with a simple mod, might as well! Thanks Hodgdon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts