Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 5spd. car ... have driven them my entire life. However, I live in the Washington DC area, and traffic is HORRIBLE!! While I'd love to get a manual IS ... I'm finding that they (used) are few and far between -- with the options I want (leather, nav, etc.).

For those who have automatics, are they fun to drive? Do you shift a lot using the steering wheel? Do you wish you had a manual?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
i used to live in the DC area... believe me when I say that your life will be a LOT easier with an Auto.. if you get a stick, and drive in the city, you will have to shift gears every 10 secs or LESS ( not an exaggeration ).

I went with an AT 01 IS, instead of getting a 330i Bmw stick, for this very reason.

The e-shift is fun .. you can drop the gears when you need to, and for the most all you have to do is mash the pedal..

its going to be very hard to find the exact options you want on the IS , esp in the DC area , as they are outnumbered severely by BMW's and G35's , and most people dont trade in their MT IS's.

Try finding the car you want in the for sale forum here. You will get a better deal than any dealer could give you, and will get a well kept car from an enthusiast.

Welcome to the forum !

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I got a used 05 IS 5-spd Manual, with navi from Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, VA. I went through a guy named John Winstead. Tell him Garret Black referred you (that's me haha). He's a younger guy and knows how rare a manual with navi is so he can keep a look out for you. If you want his number or any other info shoot me a pm. Their dealership goes through alot of cars and the head of the dealership gets rare cars. When I was there they had a bone stock M3 (so someone could set it up for autocross) and a Porche Carrera turbo (I forget exactly what it was but it was insane).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
don't get auto... u'll regret big time... , just my experiance from manual(3yrs) to auto(4 month) then manual(2 years and still counting) again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suggest driving a 5sp on a lengthy test drive first. I've driven manuals for years, this 5sp is vastly different from what I was used to. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the E-shift.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i got a auto, here in San Diego traffic sux, get auto if you drive a lot in traffic, i wouldnt mind a stick only if i had to drive it here on weekends

1 - 7 of 7 Posts