Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
no they arent over sensitive because everyons do it on like a hard acceloration or anything like that. and the only year there was DWP was in 01 so you probably have the Crystal White.

·
Registered
769 Posts
you don't see it cause the system keeps the lights level. You can get the HID leveling kit if you want to be able to adjust the lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2002 BMW 325i (with Xenons) has auto leveling lights. When you start the car, the light point down, then up. You can see them leveling as you shift the gears and jerk the car a little.

The BMW dealer said that the law in Germany is to have auto leveling with Xenon lights. Maybe that's why they are a $600 dollar option on the German cars?

·
8,743 Posts
correct me if Im wrong, but dont all cars with HIDs stock, have auto leveling built in? Otherwise, they would blind oncoming drivers....

Everyone I know with HIDs as stock equipment, have auto leveling....BMWs, Lex, Audi, Benz......

·
8,827 Posts
TahoeSSDVD said:
correct me if Im wrong, but dont all cars with HIDs stock, have auto leveling built in? Otherwise, they would blind oncoming drivers....

Everyone I know with HIDs as stock equipment, have auto leveling....BMWs, Lex, Audi, Benz......
I am not sure if Maximas or Domestic SUVs have it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i don't think the Maxima or the Altima have auto leveling. i was riding in my friend's 2001 Maxima and it didn't seem like the headlights moved during the shifts, accelerations, or brakes. or maybe i just wasn't paying attention. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
slackerbot said:
i don't think the Maxima or the Altima have auto leveling. i was riding in my friend's 2001 Maxima and it didn't seem like the headlights moved during the shifts, accelerations, or brakes. or maybe i just wasn't paying attention. ;)
That would be because Maximas didn't have HID until 2002!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
TahoeSSDVD said:

Yes, I heard (rumor?) that there was some law passed in office about this being a requirement for all automakers providing Xenon headlights.

And yes you will see the lights flick up and down if you accelerate hard or brake hard. Try waiting to brake hard at the last second at a red light when you are coming up behind a dark colored car or SUV. You'll see the lights jerk up as the nose points down, then your car rocks to a stop, and you'll see the lights jerk back down and level out.

They are very sensitive, yes, but if they weren't and didn't adjust, what would be the point (other than having them tilt down and rise back up when you start the car in your garage, of course :D )

·
Registered
769 Posts
I just tapped into one of the HID level sensors so i can adjust the headlight level manually. I believe the ones you find in the Net Store and on ebay have 2 knobs which control alter the signals on both sensors. I can raise the level up past what is the default, which is nice on dark roads.

If this makes my car a Corolla, somebody beat the crap out of me. Lexus still is a Toyota after all....

·
Registered
88 Posts
inphinit said:
I just tapped into one of the HID level sensors so i can adjust the headlight level manually. I believe the ones you find in the Net Store and on ebay have 2 knobs which control alter the signals on both sensors. I can raise the level up past what is the default, which is nice on dark roads.

If this makes my car a Corolla, somebody beat the crap out of me. Lexus still is a Toyota after all....
If you buy the manual leveler thing, do the headlights level themselves according to the level you put them on or they stay fixed once you adjusted them the way you like it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
supposedly they auto level even after you adjust them manually. I don't see them actually move, but the lights to seem to stay level. Basically the device alters the signal going to the computer. So if the sensor adapts, the result should carry through to the computer.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
If the levelling sensor is so sensitive that a brief acceleration would cause the lights to dip, and braking would cause it to rise, what happens when you go up a hill? The lights would want to tilt down, looking into the ground. Or down a hill, light shot up into nothingness. Obviously this isn't the case, but I've never noticed my lights adjusting (not that I've looked out for it), but it just seems like it would have to float to adjust so quickly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.