Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man that was so much fun! However, I should've read this forum first. I went out there and didn't even check my tire pressure. Live and learn I suppose. Ok so I went through the FAQ thread and found excellent suggestions but I can't decide if I want to get a separate set of tires first or go with the Koni shocks. Any suggestions?

I'm also on 15k on the stock RE040 and after that run last weekend, I can tell it won't last long if I keep using it for autocrossing. Next event in Nov 16 in town and a couple out of town events on Nov 2. Hopefully, I'll be more prepared and informed before I run for the 2nd time.

·
Mr. Negative
12,010 Posts
If you wanted to autox on a regular basis the first suggestion I'd give is to buy a set of dedicated wheels and tires. You don't have to spend a bunch and can even use stock wheels and they will work well. Get a descent little jack so you can change them easily and you'll be off and running. That way your street tires are still good and last a long time and you track tires will last a longer time because you only run them at events. Plus the fact that tires will make the largest improvement in running than anything else.

If you wanted to go in the Street class(STX or STS depending on if you have LSD) you could get some KumhoMX's or some Falken Azenis and you could even run these on the street and not get dedicated wheels although they will wear out sooner and have a rougher ride that your bridgestones.

Or if you get a set of race wheels you could get R compound tires like the Kumho Victoracers700 or Kumho Ecsta V700's. These will keep you in the Stock class and wil give you a TON of bite and will take about 1sec or better off you time on a 50sec course.

Congrats and welcome to the club. ;) It's a blast! Let me know if you have any other questions or want any other suggestions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ubiquitous...Welcome to the world of Autoxing!

Like what IS_Dude said, you may want dedicated tires/wheels if you plan on doing it alot. I'm thinking about getting a second set of wheels/tires as well (I just need more storage space, heh heh) and stick some Azenis on 'em...RIght now, I'm doing what you are doing, running on stock RE040's. There good tires, but get prety greasy if you don't watch and maintain proper temps.

Aligning the car makes a huge difference in the handling of the car in stock form (and modded as well). The FAQ does contain info on autox alignment setups that people have had success with. :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Yeah I think I'm leaning towards getting wheels/tires first. Another ISer had Hoosiers on and he had way better times than me but he's probably a much better driver too. So I guess the first order of business is to learn how to be a better driver.

On that alignment topic, would you need to realign each time you get on and off the track or leave it as is if you're racing for the full season?

·
Premium Member
7,312 Posts
Welcome, glad you had a blast.
I am a newbie as well, been doing it for a little over a year now. There is nothing like the feeling when you win your first race.
As far as tires, I used the stock re-040's till the threads showed. What I noticed was that they got better and better grip the more worn out they were. Makes sense, since they looked almost like slicks.
I am torn about getting a set of rims to race, or just continue with the same tires. I think eventually, I will get a set of rims just to race.

·
Registered
579 Posts
METEORO said:
Welcome, glad you had a blast.
I am a newbie as well, been doing it for a little over a year now. There is nothing like the feeling when you win your first race.
As far as tires, I used the stock re-040's till the threads showed. What I noticed was that they got better and better grip the more worn out they were. Makes sense, since they looked almost like slicks.
I am torn about getting a set of rims to race, or just continue with the same tires. I think eventually, I will get a set of rims just to race.
I bought a set of nicer looking wheels for street driving and used my stock wheel and tire set-up for racing and wore em down as far as possible just like METEORO stated above.

This way I could look good on the street and then race in the right class for Solo II DSP. This may be a good idea.

·
Mr. Negative
12,010 Posts
ubiquitous said:
Thanks! Yeah I think I'm leaning towards getting wheels/tires first. Another ISer had Hoosiers on and he had way better times than me but he's probably a much better driver too. So I guess the first order of business is to learn how to be a better driver.

On that alignment topic, would you need to realign each time you get on and off the track or leave it as is if you're racing for the full season?
driver is always the most important factor and if you know that then you're on the right track. As for alignment, I found a fairly conservative alignment worked well for both road and track when I was in the stock classes. I always like -.9deg camber front and rear and 0deg toe front and rear. It was neutral and easy on tires. It also helped to eliminate some of the tire roll with stock tires. The sidewall tends to roll a little on stock tires so the -.9deg camber and 43-47psi pressure in the front will take care of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the addiction :)
I've just started auto-xing again and it's a blast.
I picked up a used set of wheels and tires (in the member sale/trade forum here) for $800 and a used set of Koni's for $400.
The handling difference is pretty amazing.
I run the shocks full soft on the street and it's still way stiffer than stock.

Good luck!!

B-)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahaha! speaking of addiction, I found out about an event at the very last minute down in San Antonio. So I packed up and drove south. Unfortunately, it was pouring rain during my heat and there were rain in the afternoon. So I ended up leaving early. Oh well, at least there's another event in two weeks. Hopefully no rain!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
ubiquitous said:
hahaha! speaking of addiction, I found out about an event at the very last minute down in San Antonio. So I packed up and drove south. Unfortunately, it was pouring rain during my heat and there were rain in the afternoon. So I ended up leaving early. Oh well, at least there's another event in two weeks. Hopefully no rain!!!

HAHA! We told you so! :crazy: :lol:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wheels and tires are a huge help but don't feel like you need to jump to the r-compounds just yet. DS-Novice rules don't allow for race tires. Take your 040's down to the cords then take a look at a set of Kumho MX's, or Falkens. Get some runs under your belt and start the next season with the race tires and take no prisoners.

ubiquitous said:

·
Registered
579 Posts
ubiquitous said:
If there's one thing I've learned over my first 2 autocrosses is I don't know how to drive. How on earth did I ever get a driver's license. :lol: :lol:

I need a good autocross book. Any suggestions?
I think that books are a good resource to provide you with something to work on, BUT I think the best thing that I did to improve my driving was to partner up with an experienced driver and also walk EVERY course with a pro. In our region the pro drivers are very open to having you run with them once in awhile.

2003 was my first season and I went from initial 15th, 16th, and 18th place positions (out of 40 or so drivers) to 6th, 7th, and 5th place positions after co-driving with a pro. It helped me TREMENDOUSLY.

Although, I'd be interested in knowing what good books there are out there as well. Anybody???

·
Founder
8,579 Posts
ubiquitous said:
If there's one thing I've learned over my first 2 autocrosses is I don't know how to drive. How on earth did I ever get a driver's license. :lol: :lol:

The best way to learn is to keep driving. That being said, I did pick up a good book on the subject once - I can't recall the title right now, it'll have to wait until I get home. It does have a red cover though... Hmm. Here it is:

Secrets of Solo Racing: Expert Techniques for Autocrossing and Time Trials
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0962057312/

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mmmmm.....autocrossing.... (that's my homer impersonation when drools over duff)

Anyway, there's an event coming up in a couple weeks here in town and I plan to drive my car again plus drive my friend's '84 porsche 924. He's letting me drive that thing and also have me as a passenger so he can teach me the finer points of autocrossing. Man I'm excited. I just hope I don't run my car to the ground. Well at least there's a promise of a new IS coming out in 05, right? Autocross the hell out the car this year and get a new one next year. Yep! Sounds like plan.

·
Registered
412 Posts
ubiquitous said:

Another thought- SCCA offers both novice and advanced driving schools for auto-x...check it out in your area.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gold_IS300 said:
ubiquitous said:

Another thought- SCCA offers both novice and advanced driving schools for auto-x...check it out in your area.
Another .netter PM'ed me with some info about driving school near here. I might just check that out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.