Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently blew out the seals in my 2001 is300 and I put in a new transmission with 85k miles now the car runs but it's shifting improperly I'm not sure what it could be one of my master tech friends said it could need a reflash or it needs the toyota fluid, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your lucky it could just be a dirty MAF sensor or vacuum leak. Is it just hesitant to shift? What does shifting improperly mean?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
What seals blew out? Did you clean out the trans cooler before hooking up the new one? What trans fluid did you put in it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What seals blew out? Did you clean out the trans cooler before hooking up the new one? What trans fluid did you put in it?
The input seal on the old one and I put atf fluid from my job at dodge and for the the trans cooler I didn't know my car had one

·
Registered
543 Posts
The input seal on the old one and I put atf fluid from my job at dodge and for the the trans cooler I didn't know my car had one
While I'm not an expert on ATF, and I don't know if Toyota spec'd out the most common Dexron/Mercon type - I do know the Mopar +4 style is pretty specific to Chrysler products... Don't know what difference that makes, but when I'm ignorant to the details, I try to follow recommended guidelines pretty closely. I'm pretty sure the Toyota manual does not call for Chrysler ATF.

Secondly, your radiator has a separate section for trans fluid. That's why you had to disconnect/reconnect those fluid lines from your trans when you removed/reinstalled. If your old trans was sloughing off any debris or particles, they were circulating through the cooling circuit, and you've now introduced them into your replacement trans. Hope it works out for you.

·
4,789 Posts
Did the tranny come out a recent running driving car? If not, The solenoid seals could have dried out or it was doing it before you got it. Even then you will need the valve body rebuilt or worse.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Toyota type III is pretty specific, need to find a trans oil that matches. Mine was shifting way different when i bought it, did a quick sump swap when i first got it and was amazed at how it changed gear after, showed me how important the different fluid qualities are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I'm not an expert on ATF, and I don't know if Toyota spec'd out the most common Dexron/Mercon type - I do know the Mopar +4 style is pretty specific to Chrysler products... Don't know what difference that makes, but when I'm ignorant to the details, I try to follow recommended guidelines pretty closely. I'm pretty sure the Toyota manual does not call for Chrysler ATF.

Secondly, your radiator has a separate section for trans fluid. That's why you had to disconnect/reconnect those fluid lines from your trans when you removed/reinstalled. If your old trans was sloughing off any debris or particles, they were circulating through the cooling circuit, and you've now introduced them into your replacement trans. Hope it works out for you.
It also make the manual mode blink instead of letting pick a gear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts