Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
.net superior m.f.
23,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from a different thread, but I thought it needed to be pulled out under a more appropriate subject line.

The IS e-shift suffers from one way shifting, not having full control of the tranny. So issteve found this information out about a full auto tranny controller. Only drawback is a CEL -- but sholdn't affect anything else.

Anyone else have expereience with transmission controllers. Is this another thing that will take endless tuning to optimize, having full control over line pressures vs load and such is intimidating....

<<The check engine light coming on is an annoyance but does not affect vehicle behavior. Your speedometer, traction control, electronic throttle and general electronics will still function properly.

Our digital dash display is intended to work with aftermarket engine controllers as well as OBD-II compliant vehicles. So the answer here is, yes the digital dash is capable of working with the Haltech. Of the aftermarket engine controllers, the haltech will be one of the first systems the digitial dash will be able to display.

The PCS transmission controller offers two manual shifting modes that we have called "smart manual" and "true manual." True manual will select the gear you have chosen and will not shift until you have activated an upshift or downshift. This means that if you are driving along in 4th gear and come to a stoplight, you will have to remember to downshift 3 times to start out in 1st gear. Smart manual function is nearly identical to the Lexus IS 300 e-shift system where the transmission controller retains some control over shifting.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Toyomoto seems to know EXACTLY what their doing in resolving this type of issue that has haunted other tuners....

interesting stuff to read.....and how it mentions works with haltek

you being a pfs car with tec3, do you still have issues regarding the transmission shifting? is that why you posted this? just curious.....

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
Toyomoto seems to know EXACTLY what their doing in resolving this type of issue that has haunted other tuners....

you being a pfs car with tec3, do you still have issues regarding the transmission shifting? is that why you posted this? just curious.....
Interesting info, hmmm.

I think Malof's car is a v160, in fact maybe the first auto-v160 swap, seeing as how it's Peter's original shop car.

Kane

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Kanine21 said:
tsopranoMB said:

Interesting info, hmmm.

I think Malof's car is a v160, in fact maybe the first auto-v160 swap, seeing as how it's Peter's original shop car.

Kane
no, its Auto...Peter used it to demo at his BBQ event back in June 2003 :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
Kanine21 said:
tsopranoMB said:

Interesting info, hmmm.

Kane
He put an auto back in it? ahh, didn't know.

Man that car has been bastardized like crazy! haha

·
Registered
769 Posts
Kanine21 said:
tsopranoMB said:
Kanine21 said:
tsopranoMB said:

Interesting info, hmmm.

Kane

I'm pretty sure he did put malofquist's back to auto. The transmission controller referenced is a pretty cool device, further expanding upon what PFS, Toyomoto, and possibly srt, have done. It allows for shifting into lower gears, at the discretion of the driver, and essentially turning the e-shift into a sequential shifting tranny. The ability to shift into 1st is certainly something that no one is able to do at present with an e-shift. I'm not sure if I could run through the gears as efficiently as the TEC can do it, but it will certainly be a great advantage to n/a people as well as those who have cars that don't shift properly, or that shift when they are not wanting their cars to. The tec still shifts where the stock computer says it should, rather than at higher rpms like 7200-8000+. I'm really excited to see this when it comes out. I'll see if I can get some more information from the guys creating this as I have met, spoken, and seen the device a few times now. It looks to be very exciting.

·
.net superior m.f.
23,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DarkStorm said:
Kanine21 said:
tsopranoMB said:
Kanine21 said:
tsopranoMB said:

Interesting info, hmmm.

Kane

I'm pretty sure he did put malofquist's back to auto. The transmission controller referenced is a pretty cool device, further expanding upon what PFS, Toyomoto, and possibly srt, have done. It allows for shifting into lower gears, at the discretion of the driver, and essentially turning the e-shift into a sequential shifting tranny. The ability to shift into 1st is certainly something that no one is able to do at present with an e-shift. I'm not sure if I could run through the gears as efficiently as the TEC can do it, but it will certainly be a great advantage to n/a people as well as those who have cars that don't shift properly, or that shift when they are not wanting their cars to. The tec still shifts where the stock computer says it should, rather than at higher rpms like 7200-8000+. I'm really excited to see this when it comes out. I'll see if I can get some more information from the guys creating this as I have met, spoken, and seen the device a few times now. It looks to be very exciting.

yeah my car was put back to auto when I bought it (put back to auto and it's a 150 fewer HP than when peter had it and turrns ~the same 1/4 mile ET).

I prefer the idea of auto with a turbo car --for keepin' that turbine spinnin' reasons. My car shifts fine, smooth and fast, but I'm want the control of keeping it in the gear I want it to be kept in (unlike the e-shift control, which is more like a 'less than or equal to shifter'). I could start out in 2nd gear in the snow. I also realize the danger of a moderate-to-high powered car down shifting when you're not ready ... in a corner or in rain soaked roads.... that can be fatal. And like Mr Storm says, shift at whatever rpm I want.

ML

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Can we get some trov notes on this?

The way I'm seeing it, the device hasn't been tested yet?

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
not trov notes, but...

I agree we need someone to test this out.

PCS are you looking for a .net'er to test this out with? F/I or NA?

posted by issteve said:
Response from the good guys at Power Control Solutions:

Yes our unit will allow you to modify this behavior in manual mode. Yes we have developed a harness for the A650E (the transmission in the Lexus IS300) though at this time the connectors are not readily available from the manufacturer. This requires you to either cut and send us your sub-harness and perform some wiring work or to source the harness from a junkyard or other location.

Something to keep in mind when working with a stock or relatively unmodified vehicle is that your check engine light will come on when installing our transmission controller. Also, your dash gear indicator will no longer indicate gear position when in manual mode. Lastly, our transmission controller is fully programmable and does not necessarily mimic the behavior of the stock settings though you are able to program the controller to behave like the stock controller if you wish. An added feature with manual shifting on the IS300 is that our unit will allow first gear selection when in manual mode which the e-shift does not allow.

Feel free to ask should you have any additional questions,

James Ballenger
Powertrain Control Solutions
[email protected]
PCS said:
The check engine light coming on is an annoyance but does not affect vehicle behavior. Your speedometer, traction control, electronic throttle and general electronics will still function properly.

Our digital dash display is intended to work with aftermarket engine controllers as well as OBD-II compliant vehicles. So the answer here is, yes the digital dash is capable of working with the Haltech. Of the aftermarket engine controllers, the haltech will be one of the first systems the digitial dash will be able to display.

The PCS transmission controller offers two manual shifting modes that we have called "smart manual" and "true manual." True manual will select the gear you have chosen and will not shift until you have activated an upshift or downshift. This means that if you are driving along in 4th gear and come to a stoplight, you will have to remember to downshift 3 times to start out in 1st gear. Smart manual function is nearly identical to the Lexus IS 300 e-shift system where the transmission controller retains some control over shifting.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
This is very interesting.

If you need a boosted test car, I would consider testing it out.
I've been tooling with different shifting solutions. Perhaps if I shifted in manual mode, it might just solve the whole problem.

My question is....if you're cruising on the highway at 60mph and you pop it into manual mode, what happens?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A good portion of our development and testing work was performed with a turbocharged Lexus IS 300. Our transmission controller will work with both forced induction and naturally aspirated applications.

If you are cruising on the highway at 60mph and you pop the transmission controller into manual mode, the transmission controller will stay in the same gear until the user initiates a change (in true manual mode). In smart manual mode, the transmission controller will perform the same way the e-shift system does and will shift based on your normal shift point settings.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
PCS said:
A good portion of our development and testing work was performed with a turbocharged Lexus IS 300. Our transmission controller will work with both forced induction and naturally aspirated applications.

If you are cruising on the highway at 60mph and you pop the transmission controller into manual mode, the transmission controller will stay in the same gear until the user initiates a change (in true manual mode). In smart manual mode, the transmission controller will perform the same way the e-shift system does and will shift based on your normal shift point settings.
So this thing works in 2 ways. Stock and a more controlled e-shift mode?
Meaning, you can run it stock, or you can have completel control over shift points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is a fully programmable transmission controller, much like a fully programmable engine controller is to an engine. You can change shift points, shift firmness and shift speed among a large number of other user options. The "true manual" and "smart manual" modes are simply two options that you can choose from when selecting manual mode shifting operation.

Feel free to check out some more details on the unit at our website www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/products/tcu.html

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
damn 700 bucks?

What's the tuning like?

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
has anyone tried one of these yet... very interested in trying it, but I've done enough guinee pigging in the last year to last me a while.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
I don't think it's gonna a lot of good.
I don't think there's a good way of making shifts harder and more precise without a hardware change.

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
I don't think there's a good way of making shifts harder and more precise without a hardware change.
Doesn't it make the eshift stick in gear though de... ie no downshifting when flooring it if you don't want it to?

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
dasgalloway said:
SophieSleeps said:
Doesn't it make the eshift stick in gear though de... ie no downshifting when flooring it if you don't want it to?
EXACTLY. If anybody has driven BMW or Audi automatics in the manual mode, you can literally stay in the gear you want when cruising. For example, if you're going 30mph and you want to floor it in 5th or 4th...you can. It's ALOT more control then E-shift ever has.

I think this would be an incredible mod if it works. I wonder how it would work in conjunction to a valve body upgrade though?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.