Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Another note on this, Mom's car still has a very quick hesitation noticeable only when hitting VVTI. No CEL though...I still think you other Auto to Manual conversion guys are nuts and simply not feeling it ;) haha

One of these days I'll actually wire up the speed sensor from the manual tranny to the proper pin out in the ECU....one of these day...

Migs
OOOOOK....I finally did it.

I ran the 3 wires from the W55 speed sensor to the manual gauge cluster. This in turn is letting the gauge cluster feed the speed signal to the manual ECU. So it's FINALLY wired up like a manual equipped car.

BUT...After doing this and going on the test drive, it was still having a little bit of hesitation. Then I realized something....VERY loud exhaust noise coming from UNDER the car...this whole time there's been an exhaust leak between the down pipe and the exhaust pipe. The car was running like crap because the O2 readings were off and it was running crazy rich! aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHH hahahahahaha

I never noticed it as I gave the car back to my mom right after doing the swap and obviously didn't hear the exhaust leak at that time. She didn't notice because she's simply used to driving old loud cars. Over the past year the leak has got loud enough for me to finally notice today on my extended test drive late at night with no other traffic around.

Wow.

Anyways, wiring is done. I know what the final issue is. Thank god.

True story ;)

Thanks again for all your help Curran!!!! The Sportcross will finally be a little rocket!

Migs

So we swap guys aren't so nuts after all! Glad you finally figured the real root of the problem. It's been a full 2 years since my swap, and still runs great.

·
Yay! Old stuff!
532 Posts
haha yeah I guess you're not! damn!

I can't wait to finally get this thing finished...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I have a random question. What would happen if you used the auto ECU with a manual transmission setup?
Lots of guys are swapped with auto ecu, just they will have a CEL. I drove the car around for a bit with the auto ecu, after the swap to the manual ecu, I think the car felt like it drove better. In CA you cant pass emissions with a CEL, so it was important to be CEL free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a question about the "Power" and "Snow" buttons right beside the auto tranny shifter in my IS300. what happens to the functionality these once the manual tranny is swapped in? I would guess they are an option only for the autos, or does this have some affect on the manual as well? Do they tweek the parameters of the ecu or just the auto tcu?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I've got a question about the "Power" and "Snow" buttons right beside the auto tranny shifter in my IS300. what happens to the functionality these once the manual tranny is swapped in? I would guess they are an option only for the autos, or does this have some affect on the manual as well? Do they tweek the parameters of the ecu or just the auto tcu?
Power button is to change shift points on the auto transmission, on a manual you make your own shift points.

Stock manual cars have the trac and snow button located under the radio, similar to trac on auto cars, but with two button instead of one. the wiring to swap to the combo button is written in the original post.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks a lot for sharing this!

I removed my Auto Trans these days and prepared the Return Light Switch.
I'm not using Toyota OEM Plugs for this, i bought some AMP Superseal 2 pin connector from ebay, maybe its a knockoff, but it works!

Find the right plug:

Soldering together Pin 6/9 (the black ones) on the left side of the picture, and extend Pin 2/3 (blue/red, black/red) to the new connector:

At the end it looked like this:

If you connect the 2 lines (Pin 2 / 3) the return light comes up.

I will solder the other AMP Superseal Plug to my R154 return light switch.

Question to you:
My Lexus IS300 is from 2004 and was auto.
With this mod i could start the car, drive around and will see my return lights when changing the gear.
What else do i need for CC?
In my new pedal section, there is no Clutch Switch like on the brake pedal.
I think i have to add it.

I connected Pin 6/9, soldered it together - its OK for starting the vehicle, but CC wont work, is it right? If i would stay with CC, i have to follow exactly your plan in the 1st post, right?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Question to you:
My Lexus IS300 is from 2004 and was auto.
With this mod i could start the car, drive around and will see my return lights when changing the gear.
What else do i need for CC?
In my new pedal section, there is no Clutch Switch like on the brake pedal.
I think i have to add it.

I connected Pin 6/9, soldered it together - its OK for starting the vehicle, but CC wont work, is it right? If i would stay with CC, i have to follow exactly your plan in the 1st post, right?

Clutch pedal has 2 switches,
1. neutral safety switch for starting the car, if you hard wire 6 to 9 you don't really need this but I think its a good ideal to have it.
2. Cruise control clutch switch, this is another safety feature. The car must have a Manual transmission ECU, and it must be wired how it is demonstrated in orginal post.

3. Cruise control clutch switch. Cut B13 on ecu and wire to cruise control clutch switch, then to driver side fuse box harness 1A pin 4. Part number 90980-10906.

·
Registered
251 Posts
2005 is300

I've got a 2005 model and am wondering if any 2002-2005 M/T ECU will work for the swap.

Do you have a part# for the M/T ecu so I know im acutally getting an is300 ECU and not a supra or sc300 or anything like that.

Does the Manual IS300 ECU have only one part # from 2002-2005 or did they make a change in 04/05 possibly? thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I've got a 2005 model and am wondering if any 2002-2005 M/T ECU will work for the swap.

Do you have a part# for the M/T ecu so I know im acutally getting an is300 ECU and not a supra or sc300 or anything like that.

Does the Manual IS300 ECU have only one part # from 2002-2005 or did they make a change in 04/05 possibly? thanks

Any 2002-2005 manual ECU should work and be plug n play. However the part numbers have changed throughout the years. I don't know if the software changed, I would think it did, but also the new numbers superseded the old ones.
These are all listed under a manual IS.
Car production year(s)--part number--ECU production dates
(2002) 89661-53310 (07/2001 - 01/2002)
(2002/3) 89661-53311 (02/2002 - 07/2002)
(2003/4) 89661-53490 (08/2002 - 07/2003)
(2004/5) 89661-53540 (08/2003-07/2004)
(2004/5) 89661-53450 (08/2004-)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Any 2002-2005 manual ECU should work and be plug n play. However the part numbers have changed throughout the years. I don't know if the software changed, I would think it did, but also the new numbers superseded the old ones.
These are all listed under a manual IS.
Car production year(s)--part number--ECU production dates
(2002) 89661-53310 (07/2001 - 01/2002)
(2002/3) 89661-53311 (02/2002 - 07/2002)
(2003/4) 89661-53490 (08/2002 - 07/2003)
(2004/5) 89661-53540 (08/2003-07/2004)
(2004/5) 89661-53450 (08/2004-)
Jason, is it possible that the different part numbers have nothing to do with internal changes and are different to meet some CARB mandate to have a specific ECU for each year, to match the Engine for that year?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Props for a clean swap!! I kinda want a hatchback now.. Hmm. Wanna trade for my AR 5 speed sedan plus cash? Hehhe.. I'm in San Diego...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
^ haha, I have owned a sedan IS, I prefer the SX.

Mine is also going to be AR5 swapped, how long have you had yours swapped? whats the setup you are running, maybe you could write your thoughts on it in the AR5 swap progress thread.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Props for a clean swap!! I kinda want a hatchback now.. Hmm. Wanna trade for my AR 5 speed sedan plus cash? Hehhe.. I'm in San Diego...
Absolutely Red 5 speed
:lol:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
^Lol, your right! I miss read that.

·
Registered
873 Posts
P0500

I got this code after my swap.
I also got an abs code that shows C1203 with my TRAC light on.
I did a W55 swap on my 02 is300 and installed the MT ECU.
i wired from my cluster to the ECU aswell.
Any help would be great.
The P0500 comes on about 10 miles of driving ( 15 KM's roughly)

·
Registered
251 Posts
P0500

I got this code after my swap.
I also got an abs code that shows C1203 with my TRAC light on.
I did a W55 swap on my 02 is300 and installed the MT ECU.
i wired from my cluster to the ECU aswell.
Any help would be great.
The P0500 comes on about 10 miles of driving ( 15 KM's roughly)
I believe P0500 is related to the speed sensor and the 2nd code has to do with the ABS like you said. I believe the manual is300 get their speed signal from the ABS so somehow these codes may be related. Does your speedometer work? I'm also waiting for someone else to help with your answer. You should list which wiring you did after the swap so the guys like Jason can help figure out where you may have gone wrong or if your ABS ECM may be bad or a bad wheel sensor. Sorry I couldn't be of more help as I haven't done the swap so I'm not 100% where you could have messed up a wire.

I've got a side question. Can that gear shift decal on the console for the manual IS300 be bought by itself or do you have to buy the whole console cover/plate or w/e its called?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I believe 02's get the speed off the transmission?

The automatics have 2 speed sensors, one for the input shaft and one for the tailshaft. The tailshaft sensor is how the ECU notes the speed, even for the 01's. The dash on the 01's is driving by the ABS but, the ECU is reading the transmission speed sensor.

I know this because the speed reported over OBD2 on my setup is different than the dash speed. My ECU is looking for a 3.26 diff, not the 3.73 I have.

So, my question is, did you hook up the transmission speed sensor when you did the swap? The manuals have one in the tailshaft.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I believe P0500 is related to the speed sensor and the 2nd code has to do with the ABS like you said. I believe the manual is300 get their speed signal from the ABS so somehow these codes may be related. Does your speedometer work? I'm also waiting for someone else to help with your answer. You should list which wiring you did after the swap so the guys like Jason can help figure out where you may have gone wrong or if your ABS ECM may be bad or a bad wheel sensor. Sorry I couldn't be of more help as I haven't done the swap so I'm not 100% where you could have messed up a wire.

I've got a side question. Can that gear shift decal on the console for the manual IS300 be bought by itself or do you have to buy the whole console cover/plate or w/e its called?
My speedometer works, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.
I wired this way:

from A13(had to insert a pin) in the cluster to the connector B11 (had to insert a pin)

81 - 100 of 187 Posts