Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've read through a bunch of post, but I would like some clarification from people that have done this before.

My is300 is lowered on prokit+koni yellow. The headlights are shooting too high. I would like to lower the headlights by using the rear ride height sensor. Referencing these two post:

http://my.is/forums/f87/auto-leveling-headlights-warning-light-251500/

http://my.is/forums/f89/springs-sways-caliper-painting-auto-level-fix-139041/

and according to this photo:

Which nut am I suppose to loosen to adjust the ride height sensor? It is nut #2, or is it the nut that Arrow "A" is point too? I couldn't get Nut #2 off, and I can't get to nut "A" as the bar to which Nut #2 is fasten to is in the way of Nut A on my car. Please help, thanks.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
It's nut A, I used some socket extenders to get to mine.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the clarification. My extender gets in the way and the socket can't cup Nut A completely. Any suggestion? Do I need some kind of adapter for my extender? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Firstly... the headlight sensor arm in that picture is mounted wrong.

Secondly... have you thought about adjusting the level of the headlights themselves? They have adjusters on them

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
But first reinstall the damn adjusters, like he said!^^ I bet that is your problem. I have your setup and I have no problem with adjustment, without touching and adjuster, the car is like stock.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually, that is not my photo. In mine, the silver bar points upwards. I use that photo as it is a very nice illustration. :D

I loosen nut A today and played with sliding the nut up and down with the head lights on, but I don't see the headlights going up and down.

1) Are they suppose to move as I adjust them? I noticed they do go up and down when they first turn on.

2) Sliding the bolt up moves the lights up or down?

3) Should I play with the front headlight sensor as well? Or do I really have to monkey around with the dials behind the headlights (last recourse). Thanks.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hmm, just played around with it some more. Mounting the nut at the top and bottom of the sliding bar yields the same resut: I can still hit the top of the 2nd story window of a house 200 ft away. Is this a bad sensor, or is my sensor unplugged? Any ideas?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Im feeling your pain dude!

I dunno how 98% of people who lower the cars don't get any problems?!

When I lowered mine it was coming up with the error light straight away and was shooting too high, I adjusted the Front and rear levers and then my headlights would start up OK i.e shot up and then down. My problem is now it lowers too far (I think I need to just recalibrate headlight beams by adjusting screws on the headlights themselves)

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha thank you for the encouragement. I actually never got any warning light. I just want them to shoot right, not blind others, and to lite up the pot holes. It makes no sense to me what so ever that the lights don't move at all as I move the slider up and down. Round 3 tomorrow night, I guess.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hahaha thank you for the encouragement. I actually never got any warning light. I just want them to shoot right, not blind others, and to lite up the pot holes. It makes no sense to me what so ever that the lights don't move at all as I move the slider up and down. Round 3 tomorrow night, I guess.
Did you adjust the arm on the F&R or just the rear only?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far rear only as that was the course of action suggested by most. Think I should give the front a go tonight? Do you have any tips about adjusting the front? Do I need to take the wheel off? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Did you fix the arm so that the rear adjustment actually works? When I bought my car used it was mounted like the one in the pic which basically makes the sensor not have any effect.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, my was always pointed straight up and in the right direction. The above photo was not mine. I just borrowed it for illustrative purposes. But no, my rear doesn't work. I'm thinking it is the sensor. I'll jack her up, take the wheels off, and play with the sensor tonight. I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you for everyone's help thus far.

Johnny

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah i recommend adjusting the front also, this got my headlights to sweep up and down and calibrate properly, but atm they just aren't 100%.

I think I need to finetune them with the screws on the headlight housings

·
Registered
5 Posts
my auto headlight adjustment light went on when I just installed a rear camber kit. When I turn the lights on they don't sweep up and down, they just turn on straight away. My lights don't shine upward and are pretty much straight but I can't get my warning light to turn off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If they don't sweep up and down when you start the car then they are failing the startup test, and that is why the 'level light' is on, I would guess the motors are shot in that case, or the headlight leveling ecu. I believe if you unplug the 'leveling ecu' the light will go out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts