Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i tried searching for an answer but havent found anything, so i'm posting this bc it's bothering me...

when i turn my car on, i watch my headlights go down, the up, and then the little yellow light that tells me they arent going to move anymore comes on right away.

sometimes i'll have a little headlight moving action going on, but 95 out of 100 times it remains fixed.

i saw the post about adjusting it from the rear brace under the driver wheel, but does that have anything to do with the auto movement of it?!

if it does then i'm sorry for wasting your time. i just want to fix it and have that warning light go away.

-jon

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Rear hieght sensor. remove it. open the cover on it. you will see lots of corrosion on the three gold springs inside it. this means replace it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
there are two adjustment points both on the driver side. One point is between the front 'A' arm and body. The other is in the rear, same place. Check first to make sure they are straight and still connected they look like little turnbuckles.. let me see if I have a pic... They electronically tell the computer the suspesion movements of the car the car so the headlights stay on the road. They are in fact just potetiometers connected to the suspenison.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. i'm gonna go take a look. if the gold peices are corroded i guess i'll have to get new ones? the only thing that baffles me is that they still move when the lights initially come on... but i'm going out to take a look now

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i went underneath, un-plugged and re-plugged the harness, and i didnt see anything else out of place. my headlights are level, but they still arent moving... any more tips? or should i take it to lexus?

·
Registered
285 Posts
xhIS300x said:
ok i went underneath, un-plugged and re-plugged the harness, and i didnt see anything else out of place. my headlights are level, but they still arent moving... any more tips? or should i take it to lexus?
Take it to Lexus.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I had a similar problem, dealer replaced rear height sensor and said all was good. I still had the problem and brought it back 3 or 4 times and they still said all is fine (I was blinding on comming traffic). I took it to another dealer and they replaced the FRONT height sensor and all was good after that. They showed me the sensor and it was completely corroded inside (I have an 04'!) so it might be both sensors on the car.

Mike

RanFerr_is300 said:
Take it to Lexus.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
xhIS300x said:
i didnt say unplug it and plug it back in. I said remove the sensor. and unscrew the four screws on the light brown cover. you will then see three gold springs. and a shit load of corrosion on them. replace the sensor after finding this. If not check the front . Lexus Height sensors are junk. I've replaced at least a few hundred of them.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
lextech, you are losing money for lexus because you are telling everyone here how to fix their own cars :lol:

good stuff mang.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
petaa7 said:
lextech, you are losing money for lexus because you are telling everyone here how to fix their own cars :lol:

good stuff mang.
That's what I told him a while back, that he was giving away secrets. :lol: But that's cool, Lexus makes enough $$ it will not put a hole in their pockets.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Lextech1 said:
i didnt say unplug it and plug it back in. I said remove the sensor. and unscrew the four screws on the light brown cover. you will then see three gold springs. and a shit load of corrosion on them. replace the sensor after finding this. If not check the front . Lexus Height sensors are junk. I've replaced at least a few hundred of them.

My lights bounce all over the place, even when parked. Is this an issue w/ a bad sensor as well? If so, how much is it for a new sensor?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Most likly the bouncing thing is the height sensors. ususally the rear fails. The sensors are nothing more than variable resistors. If you take them apart, there are three contacts. connecting the contacts are 3 small gold springs. The problem is water leaks into the sensor around the shaft, and corrodes the springs, causing them to erraticly make and loose contact with the "grid" (for lack of a better term) causing odd readings and making the headlights jump. after a prolonged period of time these corroded springs weaken and break in half, and then cause the light on the dash to come on.
To confirm, simply unbolt the sensor from the car (mark the location on the control arm first) unplug the connector, and then unscrew the 4 screws holding hte light brown cover on. youll see the springs immediatly, (dont worry they wont go flying) and should be able to see the corrosion immediatly as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts