Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have taken notice that at night my driver side mirror isn't dimming or doesn't seem to be. I never really noticed initally how much it dimmed. If I push the button on the rear view mirror to turn it off, I can see the rear view mirror diminish from a green hue, but the driver side mirror stays the same. The headlights always look white through the driver side mirror. Is this normal or could something be wrong with the mirror?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The side mirrors don't dim nearly as much as the rear view, but they do dim somewhat.

The first thing you should do is compare it with the passenger side mirror and see if that mirror is darker.

If its not, then park somewhere where there is a bright light source behind you, so your mirrors dim. (a sunset works well for this) The hit the auto button while watching the side mirrors to see if there is any change. Do it coupple of times, checking out both drivers and passenger side.

if it doesn't change at all, then something is probably wrong with it.

HTH

·
Registered
643 Posts
well i bought a use car and mind dont dim for crap. i hated when there is a SUV behind me at night. Is there a place where i can buy the mirrors?

·
8,827 Posts
To 2001 Owners:
THERE ARE NO AUTO-DIMMING MIRRORS

To 2002+ Owners:
THERE IS NO DRIVER-SIDE AUTO DIMMING MIRROR

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was wondering about this too, cause the sticker on my car had this listed as "driver's side only" and I can't tell a difference between the driver and passanger outside mirrors. Not as dim as the rear-view, but I can't tell if the mirrors are tinting. Are the exterior mirrors auto-dimming or what?

From the Lexus website:

Auto-Dimming Mirrors

The exterior mirrors are power-adjustable, and the driver's-side mirror is heated. What's more, the exterior mirrors and inside rearview mirror include electrochromic technology. Whenever excessive light is detected, they'll react and dim automatically. Which means, the only glares you're likely to encounter while driving your IS will be from the motorists you pass.

http://www.lexus.com/models/is/5speed_exterior.html

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
to test the dimming feature... during the day (when its sunny), put your hand behind the rearview mirror. On the right side is a hole where the sensor is. Put your hand over that to block the light. Your mirrors will dim very fast and very noticeably.

·
8,827 Posts
vlad_a said:
To 2001 Owners:
THERE ARE NO AUTO-DIMMING MIRRORS

To 2002+ Owners:
THERE IS NO DRIVER-SIDE AUTO DIMMING MIRROR
I was not entirely correct. I have noticed the driver-side mirror to dim, but very lightly compared to the other 2 mirrors. I was backing up into my garage and I noticed whenever I pushed the brake pedal casing light to reflect off the wall, all mirrors would dim, including slightly-dimming driver one.

I belive both outside mirros are heated too. 2001 ISes had them, I'm pretty sure 2002+ do too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
vlad_a said:
I was not entirely correct. I have noticed the driver-side mirror to dim, but very lightly compared to the other 2 mirrors. I was backing up into my garage and I noticed whenever I pushed the brake pedal casing light to reflect off the wall, all mirrors would dim, including slightly-dimming driver one.

I belive both outside mirros are heated too. 2001 ISes had them, I'm pretty sure 2002+ do too.
Heh heh. Glad you added this edit. According to my sticker, mine has auto-dimming driver's side mirror too. But, like Lexusaltezza, I can't really see any dimming. I asked the dealer to check when I took it in for the 5k service. He says it is working fine. I still can't tell. I will ask again at my 10k service but I will be going to a different dealer.

I didn't check to see if thesiode mirror warmers are working. My rear window is tinted so I don't really like to use the defogger unless absolutely necessary...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.