Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one else notice if you turn your climate control temp to low direct the air to the windshield even w/o the AC, it gets hella cold and quick but if you direct the air to the front (face) vents it hardly gets cold??

its the same for outside/inside air setting

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Nope... haven't noticed that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yo goohead ...

The cold air is normal.... when you direct the wind to the windshield, the air ia auto-cold to prevent condensation....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool but does it use the a/c to do that or jsut the fans??

ps it causes alot of condesation :jawDrop:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, it should NOT cause condensation, it actually removes the condensation.... the cold air is coming from the A/C ...

If I were you, I would avoid using the fan-to-windshield setting unless condensation starts forming on your windshield.

I mainly set everything to AUTO, turn the A/C off and let the car figure it out. Only time I intervene is on a hot summer day when I turn on the A/C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like many of us say ... if gas mileage is a killer, then its time to get rid of the IS300 ... gas prices aren't that bad yet .... once thye get into the $5 range, then I'll be selling my IS ....

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
emailktong said:
Actually, it should NOT cause condensation, it actually removes the condensation.... the cold air is coming from the A/C ...
Actually if it's really hot outside... and you direct cold air to the windsheild... condensation will form.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
emailktong said:
Like many of us say ... if gas mileage is a killer, then its time to get rid of the IS300 ... gas prices aren't that bad yet .... once thye get into the $5 range, then I'll be selling my IS ....
never hurts to save $$, i pay about 150/wk on gas

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
goohead said:
does any one else notice if you turn your climate control temp to low direct the air to the windshield even w/o the AC, it gets hella cold and quick but if you direct the air to the front (face) vents it hardly gets cold??

its the same for outside/inside air setting
Actually... I thought about this some more... and I think I could use fluid mechanics to explain what you are noticing.

What applies here is the equation Flow = (cross-sectional area) x velocity

or...

(A1)(V1)=(A2)(V2)

When you send air through the windshield vents... the opening is smaller... so the air has to speed up to maintain the flow rate. This faster moving air feels cooler over your hand as it removes heat more quickly. Hence your impression that the air is cooler.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm no expert, but from my understanding if you put the air on the windshield it automatically uses A/C so that its the coldest air so that if your front window is fogged it will de-fog the fastest possible way.

Sorry, i used to think i was getting 'free a/c' too... :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
BigRim32 said:
I'm no expert, but from my understanding if you put the air on the windshield it automatically uses A/C so that its the coldest air so that if your front window is fogged it will de-fog the fastest possible way.

Sorry, i used to think i was getting 'free a/c' too... :confused:
Yea, you are right...

I hate that setting more than anything...

I also hate that whe nyou put it on the feet/face combo, the heat goes to your feet and the cold comes out of the front vents when you set the temp from 75°-85°.

I'm not a big fan of the IS300's climate control system... To me, the ALL AUTO setting is worthless, it never suits me well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts