Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how stable the IS300 is at high highway speeds. I have driven my sister's Audi A4 2.8 Quattro over 100mph and it feels as steady as a rock. Back in 1990 my father had am Audi A8 (then called V8 Quattro) and that too felt rock steady at high speeds. My sister's A4 feels (and dare I say this) almost as steady as my E55. I wonder whether it's the quattro system that makes Audi cars feel so planted.
Eric....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
I've taken my IS300 over 100mph a couple times and I felt very much in control. As a matter of fact on some of the drives, I didn't know I was hitting triple digits until I looked down at my speedometer.

I've never been in an AWD at those speeds, but I'm assuming you'd have more control then just a rwd.
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
My brother's M-Coupe: Rock solid up to 135mph
My IS300: Gets a little light after 120mph
Friends '99 Porsche 911 NA: Starts getting jiggy after 105mph


------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
Tony, that surprises me about the 911. I wonder if that's typical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by brad:
Tony, that surprises me about the 911. I wonder if that's typical.
Brad, I'm not sure about the 996 cause I've never driven one before however I can vouche that fact for the previous 911 (993). I have driven a friend's car over 100mph and was wondering why it was wandering all over the place. I'm sure a whaletail/turbotail would have helped. Now if an Audi A4 is very steady at high speeds, just imagine an S4.
Eric....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
I just wish the steering was a bit stiffer... I dont like the fact that any sudden movement at 100mph can send youflying off the road. I personally love Audi's hydraulic steering, as well as manual steering. Power steering is for softies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
I took my IS300 to 137 mph (I-95, New Haven thruway), and felt very confident. I think the top speed is 145 or something, but I hit traffic before I could hit the limit.
Guess what, I was not flooring the car...that's why I know it would go faster.
The car was designed to go up to 145 mph (not that many people would go that fast), so I don't see why it should be unstable at high speeds.
I'm more than satisfied with it's abilities.

black/ivory
17"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never said that the IS300 would be unstable at high speeds....I was just pointing out how stable the Audis are. I'm sure the IS300 feels very secure at high speeds considering its suspension set up.....
Eric...
 

·
Founder
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
Brad, I'm not sure about the 996 cause I've never driven one before however I can vouche that fact for the previous 911 (993). I have driven a friend's car over 100mph and was wondering why it was wandering all over the place. I'm sure a whaletail/turbotail would have helped.
[/B]
Wow, I'm glad to hear that and it just wasn't me. I mean, I had never driven a Porsche before until last weekend (My friend's new 996 Covertible) and I'm thinking how arrogant a driver can I be to say that a Porsche 911 handles funny over 100 mpg? (And this one had the rising tail in the back)


------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by webmaster:
Wow, I'm glad to hear that and it just wasn't me. I mean, I had never driven a Porsche before until last weekend (My friend's new 996 Covertible) and I'm thinking how arrogant a driver can I be to say that a Porsche 911 handles funny over 100 mpg? (And this one had the rising tail in the back)
Yeah Tony the 993 I drove had a rising tail as well (over 45mph). I think most 911's did starting with the Carrera 4 in 1989. Regardless of that that little tail doesn't help and it's not a steady car at high speeds.... As a matter of fact when Motor Trend and Road & Track (issue with Mario Andretti) did top speed tests, they always complained of the handling characteristics of 911's at high speeds...
Eric....


[This message has been edited by EricK (edited September 29, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
I took my IS300 to 137 mph (I-95, New Haven thruway), and felt very confident.


So do I for $12,000 less.................


------------------
00 SE ALTIMA W/LTHR, 5SPD
STILLEN 4-1 HEADER, CAI INTAKE
18" GIOVANNA BARLETTA W/225/35
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Originally posted by KJ:


So do I for $12,000 less.................


[/B]
KJ, alright already, we get your point - Your Altima is fast. Geez. You remind me of the Suzuki Swift ad in which they brag about how the Swift has more legroom than a Bentley (never mind that the Bentley is better in every other aspect).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
Perfect, Viggen. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brad,
My parent's neighbor just sold his Ferrari 308 GTSi and he's looking into buying a new model... You said that your uncle is keen on selling Eight F360 Modenas...Well I'll talk to him and let you know. So these cars are available for immediate delivery?
Eric...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Originally posted by viggen:
KJ, alright already, we get your point - Your Altima is fast. Geez. You remind me of the Suzuki Swift ad in which they brag about how the Swift has more legroom than a Bentley (never mind that the Bentley is better in every other aspect).
I'm sorry I plan on getting an IS when the manual comes out so in the meantime I have to enjoy my Nissan.
I can't believed you ragged my Nismo like that. So basically I'm comparing apples to oranges ha. I guess I'll drive home now(full lthr not lthr/suede), I hope I see an IS, so I can look at its rear lights then drop to 3rd

and show him/her mine.


------------------
00 SE ALTIMA W/LTHR, 5SPD
STILLEN 4-1 HEADER, CAI INTAKE
18" GIOVANNA BARLETTA W/225/35
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Hey KJ, do you have a picture of your car? Sorry if I sounded like a jerk. I didn't mean to liken your car to a suzuki swift. I actually think Nissan's got some good products in the pipeline. Their styling is also going to improve now that Jerry Hirshberg left.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top