Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys... please don't laugh too loud, but I'm trying to understand a few things about car audio, and maybe just audio in general. I've read through all the stickies and posts I could find concerning audio, but just can't seem to find a really helpful explanation of channels and such. Here goes...

I'm having trouble understanding what a 3-way or 2-way speaker is. I understand crossovers and seperating frequencies to tweets, mids and subs... but how or why can a speaker be considered 3-way??? does this mean it has different cones in it for different frequencies?

Also, I bought an Xtant X604 amp off of ebay, but I'd like some advice on speakers. I would like to replace all of them... The tweets and mids upfront, and the 6x9's in the back. I don't necessarily want to hook up a sub to this amp because eventually I'll probably get a 1 channel to handle the lows. But anyway, If I drove all the speakers in the car minus the sub, and did all Infinity speakers, which ones would you do?

Thanks guys (and gals)! :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
moxiez said:
but how or why can a speaker be considered 3-way??? does this mean it has different cones in it for different frequencies?
You hit the nail on the head. 3 way means it has 3 different cones that handle different frequencies. How well they handle them is another story.

Also, I bought an Xtant X604 amp off of ebay, but I'd like some advice on speakers. I would like to replace all of them... The tweets and mids upfront, and the 6x9's in the back. I don't necessarily want to hook up a sub to this amp because eventually I'll probably get a 1 channel to handle the lows. But anyway, If I drove all the speakers in the car minus the sub, and did all Infinity speakers, which ones would you do?

Thanks guys (and gals)! :)
What do you mean by "which ones would you do?" Sounds like you picked out Infinity speakers and sounds like you already decided to replace all the speakers, what else can "which one" address? Anyways, I've always liked Infinity speakers myself, but that's just personal preference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts