Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are all excited about the prospect of getting our IS300s (only a few more weeks to go!!). But I read this when I went to Chapters today. Since there was a long discussion earlier about Audis. So I thought some people might be interested. (Probably many of you know this info already).

According to Cars (a Brit mag), the new A4, code name B4 is coming out in November (in Europe at least), the car is suppose to have elements of the TT and A6. The new S4 will be out in late 2001 with a 300 HP 2.7L turbo motor. There will be a 3.0L V6 for the A4 with 210 HP.
The A8 is being delayed because Audi could not decide which model they want to release, seems like they had 2 car styles, one is conservative, one is "futuristic". The designer was so fed up, he quit and went to Porsche. There will be a W12 engine for the A8. There might even put in a 500 HP "RS". (Not sure what that means).

Now, back to the IS.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The general consensus from those I've spoken to about the W12 engine is that it's basically a stupid idea. It's a lot more complicated to build and operate than a V12.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was looking at the Audi S4, the 328i and the GS300. I must say the S4 is a lotta power. I know some may say that turbo is not the best form of power, i disagree. Id prefer a turbo i6 or even i4 over a gas hog v8. In fact the S4 has two turbos, the more the merrier.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The Audi S4 is a pretty awesome car.

I am not buying one for the following reasons:

1> I am afraid of the long term reliability of the turbos.
2> 3585lbs is alot to be dragging around.
3> Gas mileage is as bad as the IS300 (hmm.)
4> I like the looks of the IS300 more.
5> The price is enough more than the IS300 that I would feel overly frivolous.
6> I just have a bias for Toyota products over Audi products.
7> I can get the IS300 with a cloth interior (silly me).
8> I want my new car to have an e-shift auto (shame on me).
9> The S4 looks like alot of other A4s on the road. An IS300 will look pretty "different" in the USA for a while.
10> The engine sound on the IS300 is sweeter than that on the S4.
11> I like inline 6 technology over v6.
12> The engine bay on the IS300 looks alot more "serviceable" than the "fully packed in" S4.

Do all those things make up for not having 258lb/[email protected], 0-60 in about 5.5 and all-wheel-drive? You decide.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
TEG,
The reasons you give for not buying the S4 are legitimate ones and I'm sure there are many people that will choose the IS300 over the S4 for several of the reasons you mention. Have you ever test driven the S4? I have and have to add that those 5.5 seconds to 60 are very convincing seconds to make some people reconsider.....
Eric.....
ps. I would never trade my GS400 in for an S4 though...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have been in an A6 2.7t, but not an S4. I have certainly seen a few S4s "scoot" down the highway like they are having alot of fun.

You know it is funny - a cars potential doesn't always show on the road. I see supra turbos and corvettes lumbering around like economy cars, but most of the S4s I have seen seem to be driven more aggressively.

From what I have read, Audi tuned their "e-throttle" to be fairly aggressive. You don't have to hit the pedal much for the thing to blast off. I think the IS300 has a similar performance configuration. It may be a reason why both cars did poorly in the EPA fuel mileage tests. I hear that Audi is changing final drive for even better 0-60 on upcoming models. Damn the gas mileage they are saying!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
By the way - those "poor" S4 drivers can lament that the RS4 (380hp!) isn't offered for sale in the USA...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ewwww, that wheel cover in the back of the E-class is disgusting! Going back to the s4, Erick i would change your GS for the S4 either, theyre both 5.5, and the GS is better. TEG, you can get the e-shift style on the s4, its the paddles behind the steering wheel, like the ferrari 360.

·
Registered
92 Posts
that site was a very nice addition to the conversation. ive never been so surprised at the umcoming models. Merc C-class and SL are finally getting the redesign they need, they've been sportin that look for maybe 10 years. im a big fan of the way MB is circulating their cars around a similar design, it portrays that 'big brother watches out for little brother' appearance (ya know, like BMWs somwhat portray with their 'kidney' and dual headlights) as for the A4, it just became a stretched TT. and i agree that the current S4 and A4 lack the sporty 4 door appearance that the GS and 328 have.

·
Registered
92 Posts
id also like to ad that MB is going to give the IS some competition if its v6 is priced right..

Does anyone agree that the new 7 series is similar to the S class and LS430...it stinks for BMW and MB because Lexus is more modestly priced

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know a dealer here in town and he said the MSRP is going to less that the plain old C280
is now. That would be competition for sure. Also it will be coming in late July. They stepped it up.
Originally posted by I S three:
id also like to ad that MB is going to give the IS some competition if its v6 is priced right..

Does anyone agree that the new 7 series is similar to the S class and LS430...it stinks for BMW and MB because Lexus is more modestly priced

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Well, we shall see about price. Mercedes has been very aggressive with their pricing. The new S class is considerably less expensive than the last S class, so it might be possible that the new C is cheaper. Also, Mercedes is considering bringing a stripper 2.6 with a six speed (C 240) for mid to high twenties base price. Hmm, interesting.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
yeah Brad, but the problem with Mercedes is that I usually associate older buyers with them. My GS400 has the spoiler and 17inch rims and interestingly enough I could see myself in my car more than I could in a C-class mercedes (because its reminiscent of the S-class). It's all personal preference... But I prefer the Agressive styling of say the IS and GS over the more conservative styling of the new C-class (even though it good looking.)..... From what I've heard the spy photos of the new A4 are all computer renditions and that the actual car will look nothing like that. Have you heard the same?
Eric....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Eric and wazzup, I have heard the public has not seen what the next A4 will look like. IMO we have definitely not seen the correct pictures. And Audi doesn't tell its dealers ANYTHING. Man are they useless (dealers)! The only information that I believe to be true is that the A4 will get major power and room upgrades.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One question. Does the S4 cost $35K fully loaded? If not comparisons are pretty much irrelevant.

[This message has been edited by TOM'S (edited June 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
No Tom, the A4 2.8 Quattro is about 35K fully loaded. The S4 fully loaded is about 42-43K...
Eric....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Tom you say that the comparisons were pretty much irrelevant because the S4 was out of the IS300 price range... The thing is that the A4 2.8 quattro (tiptronic) is too slow 0-60 in 8.8 seconds and the S4 does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds.... The IS300 fits right in the middle (in terms of performance) so I guess it can be compared to both... even though the S4 is over 40 K (but then again so is a loaded 330i which is a direct competitor of the IS300...
Eric.....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
22 Participants
SteveB
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing