Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 IS300. The stock 2j is decent and just fine for anyone if they're searching for a competent daily. For me, the 200hp fed to an automatic isn't kicking it.

For a lot of people, it doesn't either. The problem I'm finding is that dropping a turbo on it is expensive on its own. Doesn't yield the best gains. The worst of all, finding a good transmission that doesn't cost more than the turbo kit.

I've been running circles in my head on how to fix this problem. To turbo a 2jz, tune it, and get a transmission for it is an 8000$ plus journey for something that doesn't give you a good ROI. The space in the engine bay isn't big enough to comfortably fit a V8 without more custom work that I'm willing to take on.

People then turn to say to go through with one of toyotas 4 cylinder routes. The issue that rises from that is they are fairly expensive for what they are and is Japan exclusive. There's a lot more room for headaches, lost, short supply parts and waiting.

This is what has turned me to the Audi 1.8t swap. This engine can be found all day long at your local u pull yard. This is a favorite amongst tuners and people have been known to put down a comfy 350awhp on them with varying levels of success. A few types of this engine have been released with important differences, so I plan to get a couple engines for parts and swap some pieces to Frankenstein the motor a little bit.

The biggest appeal to me here is the value. My rough plan out of this build puts me at around a 7 grand budget. To get the motor and trans in, wired up. Update the timing belt, gaskets plugs and coils, purchase a large turbo, aftermarket exhaust manifold. Cooling components. Clutch, ECU, driveshaft is something I believe I can pull off for this price point.

Salvage yard 1200$. 2 engines 700$, 150$ trans, wiring components and misc parts.

Clutch 400$

ECU 1500$

Turbo/manifold/downpipe 700$

Cooling system 600$

Injectors/fuel system 500$

engine maintenance 700$

Machine shop 400$

Custom driveshaft 1000$

This swap intrigues me as there's large returns to be had for less money, less weight and a similar if not better powerband than a 2jz. If something blows up, I'm not breaking anything that's worth more than a grand with a near infinite amount of used parts. It's cheaper to build and is as tough as any sane 2jz is in regards to block and crank. I don't really care about "reliability" which all goes out the window once you start modifying to this extent.

Let me know if there's anything i should be wary of and keep notice on

update

Was tight on time but took a peek at an A4 sub frame. I have an idea of slicing the subframe mounts from an A4 and putting them in the is300. The way it's mounted is pretty similar. I don't have to worry about lining up the front axles because obviously it's gonna be swapped to RWD.

I was in a pinch for time and didn't get under it to look at this trans and see how I can squeeze it. The 4 banger at least at first glance (like it always does)looks not too difficult to get em mounted. The trans might be different. I'll have to see. I have the day off so I will see what I can find.

·
5,447 Posts
Custom wiring and gauges. A ton of fabrication that is one off. But it will still cost more than you are calculating. In addition that if you look at a turbo 2JZGE it will generate power much quicker and easier. Now a 60-1 at 6lbs with no tune on factory stock ECU and all. Through and automatic has made 300whp all day long. Slight changes it does more. Now back to the V8 deal. Been done several times and LS engine bolt in due to parts that are already proven.

·
Registered
2002 is300
315 Posts
If your willing to invest a couple thousand hours to make it work you could do it. You are missing some big things though your wiring will need to be completely custom along with having to keep the is300 wiring happy as it is run on can bus. Not to mention you'd have to try and keep the Audi transmission happy which probably runs on can bus. You'd have to check to see if it'll even fit. For 5k ish you can make 350hp with the 2jz and stock auto. Buy a t56 swap kit get your t56 from the junkyard for 3k. With the 1.8t you might come out if front at 350hp but you will spend way more getting to 600hp then you would with the 2jz.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Exhaust, engine tune, custom engine and tranny mounts. What are your local laws like for shmog?

Admittedly i know nothing about the 4wd setup from the Audi, but i would imagine there is a few things to block up/change to make it 2wd?

I like the out of the box thinking though, the 2J is a thirsty beast for what it is. I have often wondered if there was a better swap than the usual 1/2J-T,1/3UZ, LS, 3GSE, 3GSE-T options people take that gives better power for economy. There are a few drift cars i have seen around where they have dropped in a Nissan RB(?) and trans, worlds your oyster if you have the money and the time.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The route you are going I don't believe it's been done before, therefore, you will spend a ton more money to get it to work then it will cost to turbo an IS300. We are talking about custom parts and fab work needs to be done to make things fit. Just reading your post about turboing the IS300 or v8 swaps, it doesn't sound like you have done much research on either.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Once I get my is300 project finished and the ''mess with stuff'' bug bites again - I wanna do something totally out of the box.

Current ideas are:
Ford Aerostar with aluminum Mercury Marine 3.7L inline four ( 1/2 a 460 big block Ford)...

Miata or other tiny road car with a superlight 250-300hp 2 stroke outboard v6...

Tube chassis AWD buggy powered by (rear engine) Subaru drivetrain/running gear, with portal axles so it doesn't have 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gears...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The route you are going I don't believe it's been done before, therefore, you will spend a ton more money to get it to work then it will cost to turbo an IS300. We are talking about custom parts and fab work needs to be done to make things fit. Just reading your post about turboing the IS300 or v8 swaps, it doesn't sound like you have done much research on either.
I've done many hours of it. To secure a proper cooling system, turbo kit, ecu, and most importantly a manual transmission, is pretty expensive. The transmission is the biggest turn off as even W series which aren't the best in really any category is at leat a grand. CD009 or r154 is 3-5k to swap in. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to measure some stuff out and most importantly, see how I could fit the trans in. The audi sub frame isn't too different than the IS. The A4 runs a RWD style setup with an inline engine. People make their audis rwd from time to time. I'm just throwing this as a pitch that I'm trying to guage some well written responses.

Once I get a better look at the subframe and where it's mounted I can get a better look for what's coming. I can fab custom mounts for the engine and trans but the driveshaft will have to be custom. From there I can look and see what else will fit and what will need to be done custom. I also don't expect anything to work on the audi ecu I'll likely put the windows on a custom loom and see what/any thing can be done about the guage cluster and HVAC.

V8 swaps can work, that's just a tight place to fit one. I don't want a typical bro style ls and the 1uz returns with the same problem of getting a decent manual trans that won't cost half the swap. If I'm building a mini kick machine I'm not putting a 90s automatic behind it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Show us how it's done, chief.
It's just a pitch, you guys are pretty rude and uptight over here I don't know what's up.

I'll post an update when I check the A4 over and compare measurements. The 2jz can be great and all but the powerband is laggy and transmissions and parts are also really pricey. This is intended to be a low buck, lighter and a little bit different of a swap. There's really no such thing as a "cheap" engine swap for most platforms

·
Registered
2002 is300
315 Posts
It's just a pitch, you guys are pretty rude and uptight over here I don't know what's up.

I'll post an update when I check the A4 over and compare measurements. The 2jz can be great and all but the powerband is laggy and transmissions and parts are also really pricey. This is intended to be a low buck, lighter and a little bit different of a swap. There's really no such thing as a "cheap" engine swap for most platforms
I personally don't agree with the 2jz statement. You will get much better low end torque and power out of a i6 then an i4. With proper research, tuning and parts you get get a peppy torquey fast and high revving 2jz. Also you can in the forum guns blazing with this idea saying its better then everything else but no real evidence. Don't get me wrong its a cool idea but this will be in no way easier or cheaper then building a 2jz and I don't think the power will be better. Also you contradicted yourself you said it was a low buck swap then said there's no such thing as a cheap swap.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've done many hours of it. To secure a proper cooling system, turbo kit, ecu, and most importantly a manual transmission, is pretty expensive. The transmission is the biggest turn off as even W series which aren't the best in really any category is at leat a grand. CD009 or r154 is 3-5k to swap in. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to measure some stuff out and most importantly, see how I could fit the trans in. The audi sub frame isn't too different than the IS. The A4 runs a RWD style setup with an inline engine. People make their audis rwd from time to time. I'm just throwing this as a pitch that I'm trying to guage some well written responses.

Once I get a better look at the subframe and where it's mounted I can get a better look for what's coming. I can fab custom mounts for the engine and trans but the driveshaft will have to be custom. From there I can look and see what else will fit and what will need to be done custom. I also don't expect anything to work on the audi ecu I'll likely put the windows on a custom loom and see what/any thing can be done about the guage cluster and HVAC.

V8 swaps can work, that's just a tight place to fit one. I don't want a typical bro style ls and the 1uz returns with the same problem of getting a decent manual trans that won't cost half the swap. If I'm building a mini kick machine I'm not putting a 90s automatic behind it
Basically, you want a turbo manual Is300. You can turbo an automatic Is300 and get 500whp from it from the stock auto (look up Cody Graham). You don't need to go the manual route. Once you add the manual part to it....yes it does get pricey since it's more work to do so. Here's a question for you....what are you looking to spend get achieve your goal of whatever HP it is? I can tell you right now....the Audi route is not going to be a cheap route.

·
Registered
674 Posts

lol what? 2jz is only laggy if you put a big ass turbo on it like most supra people. That is with ANY car with a big ass turbo. If you want a quick spooling fast car...you'll put small turbo on it and watch that shit spool faster than Kim Kardashian spreading her legs. Lastly, if I were to do any swap on the IS300 outside of the Toyota area, it would be a K24.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Didn't mean to be rude.

So far you've expressed how its dumb/waste of money to turbo a 2JGE or swap in a GTE, a Toyota inline four, or a V8... So my comment was just saying ''hey dude, if you've got a better idea - lets see'', or as the Romans would have said: ''Facta non verba''

I agree with your assessment that a good transmission solution to any of the configurations mentioned above is expensive. I disagree that a 3.0L engine will experience more turbo lag than a 1.8L one... that's honestly just crazy talk.

I fully agree with aiming to install a lightweight engine; weight is the nemesis of performance. I also fully agree with @DemonIs300 : A K24 is much lighter than an iron-blocked VW 1.8, and has awesome potential. That said, I assume a good rwd transmission arrangement is expensive for that, too.

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,124 Posts
Nobody is trying to be rude, you're just talking directly to a bunch of people who know what they are talking about with this platform, and are therefore understandably skeptical of your radical idea. People might come across as cynical or pessimistic, but that's why we want to see you pull it off and share a success story. Your idea is definitely new, and therefore we're not really gonna be able to help much, so lead the way!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Basically, you want a turbo manual Is300. You can turbo an automatic Is300 and get 500whp from it from the stock auto (look up Cody Graham). You don't need to go the manual route. Once you add the manual part to it....yes it does get pricey since it's more work to do so. Here's a question for you....what are you looking to spend get achieve your goal of whatever HP it is? I can tell you right now....the Audi route is not going to be a cheap route.
Yes I in short want a turbo experience similar to a 2jz. NA short blocks are about as capable as the 1.8t. For me a manual transmission in a low hp car is a must. If I can line this up and get it mounted in I don't understand what is gonna be so hard about this swap in terms of getting it in and driving. I don't expect a fully functional show car at first. I guess I'll inform everyone if my idea is more obtainable after I make a visit at upull to check out this B5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't mean to be rude.

So far you've expressed how its dumb/waste of money to turbo a 2JGE or swap in a GTE, a Toyota inline four, or a V8... So my comment was just saying ''hey dude, if you've got a better idea - lets see'', or as the Romans would have said: ''Facta non verba''

I agree with your assessment that a good transmission solution to any of the configurations mentioned above is expensive. I disagree that a 3.0L engine will experience more turbo lag than a 1.8L one... that's honestly just crazy talk.

I fully agree with aiming to install a lightweight engine; weight is the nemesis of performance. I also fully agree with @DemonIs300 : A K24 is much lighter than an iron-blocked VW 1.8, and has awesome potential. That said, I assume a good rwd transmission arrangement is expensive for that, too.
I understand your point on turbo lag. The 20v audis make torque low and carry it. Making the driving experience somewhat comparable to a 2jz. It's not that I don't think its a solid motor because obviously it is. But if im gonna spend the thousands of dollars to get a proper tranny setup, I'm gonna spend the money to put a well put together built engine.

And yes that is why I avoided the k24. The idea is reasonable but the same transmission problem arrives. At that point I'd go the 2j route. I'm awaiting an R150 to show up at the junkyard I've been doing some digging and I believe I can pull it off for a grand. The R150 won't hold like an R154, but the power of a GE won't start to deteriorate it at an excessive rate. I honestly want a manual transmission more than the turbo. Not much more, but I do. If I can get hold of an R150 for low buck I'll drop it in and go turbo GE. I'm 20 trying to buy a house. I got rent and all the other adult stuff so having 10k laying around for fun isn't something that's available to me. It's what leads me to these projects I hope to be able to knock out in a couple months or less

1 - 20 of 35 Posts