Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you like it? Comfortable or not? Any complains (for instance, stiches came out, squeaky, wornout, etc)? Pluses and/or minuses points? Also, are the seats holds your body pretty good during autocross?

Thanx

·
2,909 Posts
I love 'em, no leather cracking here. They are comfortable, no question about that. The fabric is well made, the stitching is excellent, and the cloth is very grippy. No minuses except that cloth does not come with power seats, but I am the only driver of my car so there is no need for me to change it any if at all.

I have done one autocross and had no problem staying stuck to my seat, I asked Tony (webmaster) why he bought his four point harness, he told be to keep him in the seat better. I really didn't undestand because I didn't have that problem. So I say get the cloth it'll last longer, I know other people with leather that tell me the same thing all the time, well taken care of cloth will last a long time.

My last car which was an '87 Integra (R.I.P) had cloth seats I bought the car in 96. The seats were practicly new. Don't worry about people's perception that a Lexus has to have leather, that's a bunch of crap automakers have fed into american society. Other parts of the world do not think leather is any more luxurious than cloth.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: jiggafett ]

·
2,909 Posts
oops (edit)

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: jiggafett ]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch, jiggafet!
Your excellent explanation is exactly what I need

Btw, I heard someone talking about they heard sqeaking noises from their cloth seats? Sonds like something's wrong with the springs?

So, is it only 2 people in here, you and Tony (webmaster), that have cloth seats?

anyone else with cloth seats care to share some opinions?

·
2,909 Posts
No, sorry Tony has leather/ecsaine, he got the harness to keep himself in the seat better. The squeaking noise is from the seatbelt locking part by the seat, that I beleive happens on the leather seats to. My squeak went away, it's just little parts of the car wearing in. There are remedies, someone used WD40 to rid the friction and stop the squeak. Not a big concern, and def. not the springs.

TEG has cloth seats and alot more do but, I don't recall off the top of my head, I'm sure they'll respond to this post. We are few but proud of our cloth.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Does anyone know if the cloth is different for the 2002's? The 2002 Altezzas appear to have a new pattern, so I would assume it would be the same for the '02 IS300's.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by jiggafett:
No, sorry Tony has leather/ecsaine, he got the harness to keep himself in the seat better.
I didn't get the harness because I was slipping on the seats. The Escaine holds really well! I just wanted my upper body secured to the seat more - trying to isolate my arm movements...

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I have cloth seats and I have not had a problem with dthem at all. I have been tooling with the idea of taking certian sections of the cloth out and replacing them with leather, black. But not too sure if I want to do that. I got the cloth because I have a 105lbs. rott/doberman that goes with me on road trips to Houston all of the time, I figured that it would be easier to take care of than the leather, BTW she takes up the WHOLE back seat. I like them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've got the cloth seats as well. I really didn't want much in the way of the options, other than the sunroof. Powered seats would have been nice, but I can live with manual.

I had squeaking from the seats at one point. I took the car in, and they determined that the seat rails needed to be replaced. Since they have been replaced, I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have cloth seats as well and I haven't had any problems with staying glued to them during hard turns. But, I've noticed that my driver seat is making a clunking noise ever so often on sharper turns. Almost sounds like the seat is clicking into place after you've adjusted it. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get checked out, as well as to put in my TRAC chip and get my ECU reprogrammed!

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: IS300 Fanatic ]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sacremon,
How long have you had the squeaking noise since the day you bought the car? And, are those seat rails covered under factory warranty?

IS300Fanatic,
Probably you got a defective seat rails?
Please let me know about your seats problem after your trip to the dealer.

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cloth seats people, I forgot to ask you this....

How hard is it to maintain the cloth seats? I heard people saying like, cloth seats are prone to unpleasant odor, for instance, animal odor, damp odor, etc. Also, others saying something like, if the cloth seats were getting stain (from paints, soda, etc), we need to take the car to do a "steam cleaning". Are these true?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have always liked cloth seats. They keep you in the seat better on the curves. But for me the final straw was the fact that I sweat my a$$ off in leather!! I have test driven a number of cars in the summer time and I walk away every time with the small of my back and the underside of my thighs wet with sweat. When I sit in leather couches the same thing happens. I have had no probs with my seats and the material seems alot more durable than most. Yet for some reason (prolly society) I feel like my Lexus is not complete without the "all luxurious" leather and I find myself defending why I opted for cloth.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the only thing I don't like about the seats is the cloth pattern on the part you sit in. It looks cheap to me and I wish the seats were solid black. Anyone agree with me and did you do something crazy like dye the seats (w/out the dye ending up on your clothes?). Is it possible to dye the seats?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I ask yet again: has anyone seen the cloth seats on the 2002 models? The 2002 Altezzas appear to have a new (better-looking) pattern, and I was wondering it was the same for the '02 IS300's.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by JW:
I ask yet again: has anyone seen the cloth seats on the 2002 models? The 2002 Altezzas appear to have a new (better-looking) pattern, and I was wondering it was the same for the '02 IS300's.
Yes... anyone? anybody?

·
2,909 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
I didn't get the harness because I was slipping on the seats. The Escaine holds really well! I just wanted my upper body secured to the seat more - trying to isolate my arm movements...

I see, that explains why I did'nt understand the need for it. OOPPS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts