Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering purchasing 2 TB 6.5" subwoofers to run in a trunk baffle setup on the rear deck.

I currently have an IDQ10 in a small (hair under 0.3 cu. ft.) sealed box firing through the ski pass. The trunk is totally sealed. I can't notice any difference with the trunk open or closed and, in fact, I can hardly hear anything out of the trunk when it's closed.

I'm feeding it about 250W (supposedly) from my Hifonics XX Jupiter rear channels bridged. This amp is supposed to be good but I'm under-feeding my sub a bit, especially in an enclosure that small.

I want more spl without sacrificing the superb sq I get from this woofer. (I guess, 'cause I can't notice the thing at all unless I turn it off)

I currently get a measured (w/ RadioShat SPL meter) 112-116 db at 40 and 55 Hz before I get clipping from the amp.

I want to add another amp to power the woofer but I'm totally intrigued by the 6.5" TB's. I was thinking about giving them 75 watts each out of the rear channels in a trunk baffle (IB) to give me more punch.

Anyone think yea or nay on the IB setup w/ these Tang Bands?

To reiterate, this would ultimately be a 10" IDQ w/ 300+ watts thru the ski pass and two 6.5" TB's running IB from the rear deck with 75 watts each.

All input welcome...

Thanks,

-V

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
If you are lacking output from the IDQ you could port it. What would you be trying to accomplish with the Tang Bands? What frequency range would they be covering?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are lacking output from the IDQ you could port it. What would you be trying to accomplish with the Tang Bands? What frequency range would they be covering?
Well, the idea would be to use them as subs from however low they go up to around 100 Hz to help out the IDQ. I guess I'm really trying to get out of building another box for the IDQ and this addition would be an easy one.

Maybe I should start by just feeding the IDQ more power?

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Well, the idea would be to use them as subs from however low they go up to around 100 Hz to help out the IDQ. I guess I'm really trying to get out of building another box for the IDQ and this addition would be an easy one.

Maybe I should start by just feeding the IDQ more power?
lol, that was going to be my first suggestion was to port the IDQ or power it more. It's not a crazy output woofer but it should be sufficient.

I'm actually doing a ported box for 2 Tang Bands in a friend of mine's truck. Soon I'll know what they sound like ported and with 100RMS to each. Something like that could be an option for you as well.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
if you want to run TB's IB i kinda doubt it will have much effect on your "SPL" output. you state your readings at 40Hz and 55Hz...is that your target frequency to get more output? i don't think adding two 6.5" TB's will have a dramatic change in that range. you're going to hear the effects more in the say 75Hz to 100Hz range but ideally that's not the "SPL" range. you're getting into mid-bass and now you're going to affect the musicality of the system. what kind of mid-bass do you have in your doors?

i dunno...maybe i'm crazy?

i would do like Italyn said and try a ported design, or a larger sealed design. maybe try some modeling software to find an optimal box design. 0.3 cubes is on the very low side for that woofer...which does have a huge effect on its low frequency extension ability...maybe that's why your readings at 40 & 55Hz are not what you want them to be.

just my two cents

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you want to run TB's IB i kinda doubt it will have much effect on your "SPL" output. you state your readings at 40Hz and 55Hz...is that your target frequency to get more output? i don't think adding two 6.5" TB's will have a dramatic change in that range. you're going to hear the effects more in the say 75Hz to 100Hz range but ideally that's not the "SPL" range. you're getting into mid-bass and now you're going to affect the musicality of the system. what kind of mid-bass do you have in your doors?

i dunno...maybe i'm crazy?

i would do like Italyn said and try a ported design, or a larger sealed design. maybe try some modeling software to find an optimal box design. 0.3 cubes is on the very low side for that woofer...which does have a huge effect on its low frequency extension ability...maybe that's why your readings at 40 & 55Hz are not what you want them to be.

just my two cents
Yeah, you're right I think. I just got excited about the TB's when I found out about them. They are cheap! That plus I know that's what ItalynStylion is running and he seems to really dig them.

Right now I have DA D661 woofers up front with some Vifa tweeters. They sound pretty darn good and can easily over power my sub's output. I have the signal attenuated by -3db on them to blend better.

Maybe I'll just work on sending the IDQ more power with a dedicated amp. Plus then I'll have enough channels of amplification to do an active setup up front :)

Thanks for the input guys. Man, I can't believe I just got talked out of buying more speakers! Haha!

-V

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, that was going to be my first suggestion was to port the IDQ or power it more. It's not a crazy output woofer but it should be sufficient.

I'm actually doing a ported box for 2 Tang Bands in a friend of mine's truck. Soon I'll know what they sound like ported and with 100RMS to each. Something like that could be an option for you as well.
Can't wait to hear about it!

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Just add another IDQ10 and run those things TB. Mixing a bunch of 6.5" woofers and an IDQ10 will sound like mud.

IDQs are some of the most transparent woofers you can buy. They're pure SQ drivers. They're not designed for output, so if you want to get good sound out of them and have some reasonably powerful low end.... you just need to add more woofers.

A single IDQ15 installed IB would knock your socks off too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just add another IDQ10 and run those things TB. Mixing a bunch of 6.5" woofers and an IDQ10 will sound like mud.

IDQs are some of the most transparent woofers you can buy. They're pure SQ drivers. They're not designed for output, so if you want to get good sound out of them and have some reasonably powerful low end.... you just need to add more woofers.

A single IDQ15 installed IB would knock your socks off too.
Yeah, I hear ya. I might do something like this soon but either way I need more power than the 250 I'm sending my sub now. I just ordered a dedicated sub amp so we'll see if that can keep me happy for a while.

thanks,

-V

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
250w is plenty. If you want even more output, go with ID woofers instead. According to Eric Stevens (the owner of Image Dynamics), they are better suited to IB installs than the IDQs if you're looking for some stronger output.

I've heard two IDQ-12s driven with 150watts and they SANG... that's the wonder of IB installs. Very little power is needed to get the desired results.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm...

I posted a question about going IB/TB with my one IDQ10 on the Image Dynamics forum and the guys there told me I needed more power or a ported box. They said if I did a trunk baffle I'd get more output lower down but less output overall. Confusing...

I guess I'll figure things out eventually. It might be 2 IDQ10s next time. That way I'd only have to buy one more woofer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts