Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...just got my car back from the body shop....FYI it looks great! I had the guys put on a set of L-tuned springs while the car was torn apart and they also put on a set of Moda r6 18's. Yes...I know that the springs give about a .75 to one inch drop. What I want to know is, for those of you who have these springs with 18's...what kind of wheel gap do most of you have left after the drop?

Right now I have a perfect 2 finger gap all around. It looks good, but I guess I thought that it might be a little lower...one finger or so. I was just curious whether or not that's right around what everyone else has, or if I can expect the springs to settle further.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
What year is your car? Makes a big difference.

I have a 2001, and with L-Tuned springs, I have a 1.5 finger gap all around, on the stock 17's. The gap should increase to 2 fingers when I put 18's on, like you. Sounds right to me.

And BTW, when I say 1.5 finger, I mean I can't fit 2 fingers between the side edge of the tire and the inside of the fender. I don't mean fingers perfectly level, measuring the distance between the top of the tire, straight out to the bottom of the fender. If that were the case, it would be more like a 1 finger gap, straight and level fingered.

·
Registered
350 Posts
1.5 finger gap with 18s... my tires were pretty tall though, so i have a bit less gap than normal...

225/40 on 18x7.5 in front
235/40 on 18x8.5 in rear

just got my fenders rolled since my wheels came in only +40 offset when I got them and they were rubbing... but that's a different issue to talk about.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
By the way there is info in one of the sticky's about this.
i got a 2 finger gap all around too, and that comes out to 1.5 inches. But just like the guy before me posted, on Bilstein shocks it goes down to about 1 inch.
I have been wondering about changing mine to other springs or putting on bilsteins but the fact is, the ride is perfect, and the drop really doesn't matter to me with my kit on there it looks fine. One thing I do know is the ride is as smooth as ever and I never scrape anything when driving at normal speeds. At one meet I watched everybody slow to a crawl over a speed bump and I just went right over that puppy.
After one of my 18 inch tires blew, I went back to my stock protenzas on the 17 inch stock tires, and I was super low and scraping curb inclines everywhere at normal speeds I usually do them at.
So you got some options, put on some bilstiens and get another .5-.75 inch or get some more springs or leave it as is. The more your tires wear down though, it will start to look like more gap.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I gotta agree with theDon. For everyday, spirited street driving the stock dampers with the L-tuned springs works great. You loose very little ride quality and you gain tremendously better weight transfer. I immediately noticed less dive on breaking/lift on acceleration and that translated into much better handling.

I'm on the L-tuned 18's and it seems to be settling in at right about 25 3/4" from pavement to fender. That comes to around the two finger gap. I'm waiting a couple more days and then getting the alignment since I have not seen much settling over the weekend.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies so far people. Since my first post, it seems like the springs have settled just a hair more. Now the 2 finger gap seems to be a bit more snug. I think I've stared at my car about a dozen times today at work and I've changed my mind about wishing it was any lower.....I think it looks PERFECT as is. :D

Now....if I can get some of you people to look at this thread and share your thoughts, I would appreciate it greatly! :wink:

http://is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13353496&highlight=

1 - 8 of 8 Posts