Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-
I just got my E-ZPass tag in the mail. I have everything already setup and want to place the tage between the rear veiw mirror and the windsheild (the part with the black dots). My question is, what are those black dots for? Is that to provide shade from the sun so we don't get blinded when looking in the mirror, or does it have a different purpose? And another thing will those black dots effect the signal between the tag in my car and the responders at the toll booths? Thanks in advance for any info provided.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Those black dots may effect reception. I keep mine under the cup holder and lay it up on the dash in the lint collector when I come to the toll booth. I stash it back away after I pass thru.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
E-Shift...our radio antenna?
hmm odd...okay thanks for the input...what's the lint collector? that lil place where we SHOULD of got GPS??? does the toll booth read it from there? i guess i should just go through a couple times and try it out eh!? hehe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the fone with the saleswoman at lexus of cherry hill. she said that those dots are for the DRL sensors. she said that when its brighter those sensor around the windsheild and the cluster in the center have the drl's dimmed, when it gets darker the drl's get brighter and then eventually the headlamps would then pop on...only when in the automatic mode though...hmm at first she started to say something about the windshield washer nozzles and then i was like huh annd then quickly jumped over to the DRL explanation...souunds like a nice fresh pile of bull s*i*. what do you think>?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think what the saleswoman told you is crap. She was probably talking about the 2 sensors on the dash right by the VIN number. Those are the light sensors.

As far as those dots go, I think they may interfere with your pass, but that is about it. I do not think they are a part of the radio antenna, I think they are there for the purposes of blocking the sun.

I would put it on the lint collector (where our GPS should be)

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
ok, you guys must have been sniffing the glue... we're talking about completely different things here. First off. If you stick the ezpass directly behing the rear-view mirror it is hidden fromt he driver's sight and works perfectly fine. Second, those little dots on the top of the windshield offer nothing more than a little shade from the sun, that is all. It has NOTHING to do with the radio, that's a load of BS. Third, what the dealer was refering to on the phone are the 2 little half-spheres poking out of the dash at about 11 o'clock from the driver's perspective. What they told you is correct. Do not alter or play with these or your lights won't auto-on/auto dim correctly.
Any questions?
oh yes, and as far as putting the ez pass in the lint trap, I wouldn't do that. When punching the gas it will fly off every time, and you are required to have the unit attached to the windshield, or they could fine you... I never hanve been, but I'm not taking the chance. Also, FYI they're starting to ticket if you go too fast thru the tolls in the NY/NJ area, so take it easy.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: s0yb0mb ]

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i called the dealer back...she misunderstood my question. the dots on the windsheild block the sun. she said that she was talken about the two dots (11'oclck from the seat on the dash like one mentioned) she said that the ez pass signal might be interfered and might not. in nj if you go even 1 mph more than the posted limit you get a warning, and eventually a fine and then suspension...but thanks for all your help...the best suggestion i got was, don't sweat it so much and stick it on the windsheild where its supposed to be, or don't use it at all!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, your best bet is to just stick it where it supposed to go or get one of those suction cup holders that they sell at local car shops so that you don't have to stick the Velcro on.

My reasoning behind the antenna was that I read somewhere that the IS3 has 2 antennae (I think it said it in the brochure), I am assuming that besides the one on the roof, we had one incorporated into the windshield, ala the latest Honda Accord Coupe.

·
Registered
345 Posts
As far as the lint collector goes I quote a portion of a response:
"oh yes, and as far as putting the ez pass in the lint trap, I wouldn't do that. When punching the gas it will fly off every time, Also, FYI they're starting to ticket if you go too fast thru the tolls in the NY/NJ area, so take it easy". I reply, well then it won't fly off.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by E-shift:
Yeah, your best bet is to just stick it where it supposed to go or get one of those suction cup holders that they sell at local car shops so that you don't have to stick the Velcro on.

My reasoning behind the antenna was that I read somewhere that the IS3 has 2 antennae (I think it said it in the brochure), I am assuming that besides the one on the roof, we had one incorporated into the windshield, ala the latest Honda Accord Coupe.
The antenna you are refering to is in the rear window, not in the windsheild. Take a look, I think it is clear that it is not part of the defrosting mechanism.

And to clear up the lint-trap placement of the ezpass issue, I mean in general, if you keep anything in the lint trap, it will fly off. It is the single worst design concept in the IS3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Soybomb: You are right about the Antenna, thanks for the correction.

I think there is a simple solution for using the lint trap. The velcro end of the EZ-Pass tag grips tight to the felt inside the lint trap. The only issue is that it would be facing upside down and might be difficult for the EZPass scanner to read but so far its worked fine for me...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
E-shift
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing