Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to attend the above-mentioned event Friday afternoon and thought I would give a quick overview and a few comments.

First, it rained most of the day so I wasn't sure it would occur, but it was held and the weather cleared but the tracks were still wet. The event and presentation were well-planned and attended. These events give the public a unique opportunity to not only see all the competing cars adjacent to each other, but to drive them back-to-back as well.

While there was a broad array of cars there from Mercedes including the new C-Class coupe and wagon I, like most of you here was most interested in driving the Mercedes and it's competitors which included the IS300, A4 2.8 Quattro and BMW 325. All the cars were automatic and none had a sports package.

The course was short and didn't allow for much speed or handling challenges but fun nonetheless.

Impressions?

Audi: probably my least favorite of the bunch. Acceleration and reflexes were a bit soft.

BMW: good handling but the 2.5l engine isn't enough power for me.

IS300: good power and handling.

Mercedes C320: If I was surprised by a car at this event it would be this car. Responses were slower than the Lexus, but the car was fun to drive.

Overall, one other thing struck me and that was that they were all very nice cars with slight differences that probably boil down to personal taste.

BUT the most fun experience at the event was easily the ability to ride shotgun with a professional driver (helmet required) in either an E55, CLK55 or CLK420. The drivers let it all hang out with four wheel drifts and power slides galor. My driver even lost it and did on a sharp turn and did a 270 laughing the whole way.

For anyone here in Atlanta who also attended the event, the sight of seeing these cars chasing each other around the track driving like we all wish we could will not fade from our memories very easily.

PS: I didn't drive the C240 as I knew it would be a dog and also stayed away from the high dollar cars (CL600's and such)so as not to tempt myself needlessly.

My Triumph TR6 site:
Triumph TR6

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: ralittle2 ]

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: ralittle2 ]

·
Registered
13 Posts
wow that sounds pretty sweet, I wish I had gone... did they have any of the AMG's besides the E55, like the C32 or ML55? were you able to test drive the new c-coupe?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IS4me: I believe that they had every model they sell, but I didn't venture over to the area where the E, S, and ML class vehicles were. So I'm sure they had the ML55 and the rest of the larger AMG models.

SilverLex: Nope not mine as I'm still an undecided purchaser. My whatever must have a manual tranny so I've been waiting and waiting while the choices get better and better.

I didn't go to the Lexus event they held a while back here; what was the difference in the driving courses? I heard the BMW event allowed you to drive the cars a little bit harder.

Anyway it was fun to see all of the very nice vehicles in one spot. Still the ride with the pro drivers in the AMG models was the highlight.

For a little change of pace check out: www.geocities.com/ralittle2

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chiawei: Well I guess at some point you don't want to tempt yourself with something so far out there. LOL.

In fact I stayed away from driving anything other than the C-Class and it's competitors since they are out of my league right now.

I did notice one thing though. I rode in both a CLK55 and an E55 since I wanted to see the differences betweent the cars and to my surprise they were much different. Something about just having two doors and tighter quarters not to mention the much shorter wheelbase.

There is something to say about a smaller car ie IS300 etc. that will allow it to handle much better than a larger car despite what the manufacturer does to it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I spanked the CL55 AMG for a lap. What a blast! Had the radio cranked and the window down for the entire 1 min run
How often does one get to drive a $100,000 vehicle? I think you missed out if you didn't at least drive one of the 85K + beauties.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by ralittle2:
I didn't go to the Lexus event they held a while back here; what was the difference in the driving courses? I heard the BMW event allowed you to drive the cars a little bit harder.
The Taste of Lexus event held about a year and a half ago had all the competitors cars for every category. That was a fun event. Food was great. Live music and a very well planned function.

The IS300-Specific event wasn't as posh, but still high Lexus standards. The course at that event was decent. I haven't been to a BMW event.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by GMoney:
Did they provide you with a helmet? Or did you bring your own?
They provided the helmets. And the food was also very good too. But what else would you expect from Benz?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts