Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At idle i hear a clicking noise out of the engine, it's not loud but you can notice it. It doesn't do it when you give the engine gas, only at idle. I remember seeing something about timing, but i'am not sure that was the same problem. Let me know... :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
LexusES300 said:
At idle i hear a clicking noise out of the engine, it's not loud but you can notice it. It doesn't do it when you give the engine gas, only at idle. I remember seeing something about timing, but i'am not sure that was the same problem.

GREAT topic!!! I just started hearing the same noise at idle. Very annoying!! Was thinking about taking it to the dealer. What did you do? My car has 40K miles on it btw.

Thanks
RC

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I wondered what that was. I didn't want to have another "dumb topic" though.

I guess it's not though!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i have no idea what you people are hearing, i never heard any of those noises, or the other ones that all of you claim.

here is my take, none of you have ever owned a luxury car before, so you expect this one to be out of reach of all of the things that plague all cars, including engine noise, trans noise and rear end noise.

obviously there are noises that aren't normal, but if that was the case, there wouldn't be a bunch of people hearing them

-gte

·
Registered
487 Posts
i hear it when...

i hear it to when its cold out and u beat on ur car :roll: u hear that noise very lound :eek: i aint beating on my car till its nice and warm... :chill:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: i hear it when...

I'm sure all of us have owned other "luxury" cars but that's irrelevant. Thanks for your meaningless post though.

In my case, I hear it when at idle. Does not matter if the car is cold or warm. It's very faint but loud enough to catch my attention when it first started a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts

it isn't meaningless, it sounds as if you are one of those people and you know you are. just because you bought a lexus, doesn't mean that its outside of the general things that effect all cars.
get a solar powered electric vehicle if you are going to cry about some idle noise, and be damn sure not to get an aftermarket exhaust, heaven forbid you could hear it at idle over your radio, you'd be secluded in your room for weeks, until the crying and depression passed over.

YELLLEX said:
I'm sure all of us have owned other "luxury" cars but that's irrelevant. Thanks for your meaningless post though.

In my case, I hear it when at idle. Does not matter if the car is cold or warm. It's very faint but loud enough to catch my attention when it first started a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think you guys are hearing either the valve train clicking away, or possibly the injectors cycling. Don't know what else it could be. If you notice it more after the car has been drivin for a while, it's most likely the valve train, (lifters, followers, valve stem tapping or whatever).

It's no biggy, but it will get louder as the engine gets more miles on it.

Switch to a slightly thicker oil if it really bothers you that much. :roll:

·
Registered
960 Posts
LexusES300 said:
At idle i hear a clicking noise out of the engine, it's not loud but you can notice it. It doesn't do it when you give the engine gas, only at idle. I remember seeing something about timing, but i'am not sure that was the same problem. Let me know... :roll:

Relax, more than likely what you are hearing are the fuel injector bodies. These are really just little solenoid valve and they click when energized. Every EFI car I've owned does this. You can actually feel it if you touch the injector while the engine is running. Alternatively it could be a bit of valve lash noise, also normal in a solid lifter engine like the IS300s. Unless it's quite loud and remains audible when reving the engine, don't wory, be happy!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
wjbertrand said:
LexusES300 said:

Alternatively it could be a bit of valve lash noise, also normal in a solid lifter engine like the IS300s.
We have a solid lifter setup? really? that's sweet! I thought it was the damn hydrualic lifters like practically every other car has these days.

Is this true GTE?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is your car a five speed? if it is, press in your clutch, does it still tick. if it does, its probably the clutch fork. I'm talking from personal experience because i had to take my car at the dealer twice because of this problem. And it just started again this week.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
we do not have hydraulic, we have shim over bucket.

-gte

Kanine21 said:
wjbertrand said:
LexusES300 said:

Alternatively it could be a bit of valve lash noise, also normal in a solid lifter engine like the IS300s.
We have a solid lifter setup? really? that's sweet! I thought it was the damn hydrualic lifters like practically every other car has these days.

Is this true GTE?

·
Registered
57 Posts
fluff is right it's the injectors,almost all of the toyota's have this tick( a.k.a toyota tick,good thing!)you can hear it the most on the 4cyl. engines

·
Registered
148 Posts

IS300GTE said:
it isn't meaningless, it sounds as if you are one of those people and you know you are.

Again, thanks for the meaningless post. No wonder you have over 6K post. Most of them are BS. Stop being a prick and address the issue like others have. Sad your a "moderator"

I'm gonna take the car in and have it chacked out. It won't hurt and I'll know for sure what the noise is. BTW the car is 01/auto.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
ICE300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing