Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW SETS PERFORMANCE PACKAGE FOR L.A.
Another auto-show debut has already been revealed — and this time it’s from the performance gurus at BMW’s M division. The new Performance Package for the 2003 330i sedan will show itself for the first time at the Los Angeles auto show on January 2nd, 2003. The package has been tuned by BMW Individual, a division of BMW’s M performance division. The 330i’s 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine gets different camshafts and performance-modified Digital Motor Electronics for a ten-horsepower boost to 235 hp. The uprated motor is paired to a standard six-speed manual transmission with a short-throw shifter and a shorter final drive ratio. With them, the Performance Package 330i is said to accelerate from zero to 60 mph in six seconds, about half a second faster than a standard 330i. Eighteen-inch wheels are included too, along with an aerodynamic package, black headlight trim, and a new exhaust.

(This is from TheCarConnection.com.)

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
10hp boost but they are getting .5sec in the 0-60 time? Is the car lightened any or is that strictly from the gearing change?

Hmm, the real question you have to ask BMW is, "How much?"

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
hmm
there isnt much room between the 330 and the m3 now.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the two main reasons people choose the is300 over the 330i is maintenance and cost. both have to do with money. this is just making the 330 more expensive, so i dont' see how it will affect IS300 sales. if i remember right, a loaded 330 runs for 40k, if this tacks 5k onto the cost, you are now at 45k. an m3 is 55k if you put what i hope would be the necessary options. still a 10k difference.

·
8,107 Posts
Guys, don't be fooled by this "performance package" - it's the Club Sport package in disguise, which was universally panned in Europe (expensive, and handles worse than stock). It will cost $5000 too - only total poseurs will buy it. BMW should give us these things for free at the prices they already charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing