Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, this whole engine building this is starting to get to me. I have a set of SCAT rods with ARP 2000 3/8 rod bolts. I started to reassemble the pistons and rods into the block but didn't get too far. As I was torquing down piston #1 to check for oil clearance, I snapped one of the bolt.

Hmmmmmm. ARP and SCAT says to uniformly torque them to 50ft/lb. WTF is uniformly? I did increments of 5ft/lb. Any special crap I am suppose to be aware of using ARP and installing them?

I had a feeling that they were going to snap I don't know why I keep going. I guess I'm an idiot?

Mo chime in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a little update fellas:

Got to work this morning and picked up the phone. First place I decided to call was SCAT Enterprise, maker of the connecting rods. I spoke to one of the rep. and told him what happened and the procedure I took to torque them down. And then further asked what their suggested torquing procedure, he says "The same way you normally torque them". I asked, which is? He said to 40ft/lb then to 50. Okay thats fine, but why did it snap after doing increments of 5ft/lb. He then said contact ARP.

So I dropped the phone off and contact ARP. Rep comes on and says Hi. I told my situation. He says uh we don't know the torque specs because those are determined by SCAT. I then told them okay but they specification given by SCAT are identical to ARP. He then state well, we only manufacturer them and SCAT designs, draw, etc and own the proprietorship to them. I am thinking to myself, Bullshit, because there are many other rods that uses these same bolt. He continued to tell me to call SCAT.

So I did, I called SCAT and talked to the same guy, Brian. He then said I don't what to tell you. "You want me to tell you something I don't know the answer too". He offered to send me one replacement bolt, but I said I want two because the other one on the same cap seems over stretched. He then said no I am not going to send you anything now because you obviously have other issues. I asked him what other issues? The rods and bolt sat in a rinse tank for a day and half so it should be pretty clean. He said your torque wrench might be out of spec, I said uh no Snap On just recalibrated them. He says again, "I don't know what yo tell you". He started getting aggravated with me and told me I should contact ARP. I was like well this is the first time I have seen ARP rod bolt snap during installation and I thought ARP was the strongest rod bolt out there. He says, "no, that's not true". What I should have asked was then why are you using them?

So he kept on telling me I don't know what to tell you and you should contact ARP.

Anyone have any suggestions on torquing them down or any suggestion at all how to handle this?

Basically what it boils down to is companies trying to blame other companies. And I can't get a straight forward answer from either of these companies. I am not looking for freebies I was looking to suggestion and neither of them have it. I guess for you guys who are looking to ARP or SCAT think twice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts