Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new ARP head studs do in fact fit without dropping the engine down.
The clearance issues is the back near the firewall.

The top of the stud accepts a hex key so you can install the stud AFTER the head has been put on.

To put the head back on, you can install the first 4 head studs, then place the head on the car. Then screw in the rest of the 10 studs and hand tighten with an allen key.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,891 Posts
glad they finally changed that design

how much torque are you able to put onto the studs with the allen socket?

-gte
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Re: APR Head studs DO fit without dropping the engine.

SophieSleeps said:
The new APR head studs do in fact fit without dropping the engine down.
The clearance issues is the back near the firewall.

The top of the stud accepts a hex key so you can install the stud AFTER the head has been put on.

To put the head back on, you can install the first 4 head studs, then place the head on the car. Then screw in the rest of the 10 studs and hand tighten with an allen key.
Yup I was there. You don't have to drop the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,891 Posts
btw, its ARP or Automotive Racing Products

since they redesigned that, i may even use their studs on the other motor. let me ask you this, how difficult is it going to be after you put 15k miles (of heat cycles) on them, to remove them out of the block, that is why i ask about the torque that can be applied both tightening and untightening

-gte
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IS300GTE said:
glad they finally changed that design

how much torque are you able to put onto the studs with the allen socket?

-gte
AIM me motherbitch
The center of the stud is an allen socket.
Supposedly ARP says to "hand tighten" the studs...so I'm assuming they don't need to be too tight with the allen key. I gots some questions on that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,891 Posts
fine, just no lewd comments or advances this time



SophieSleeps said:
IS300GTE said:
glad they finally changed that design

how much torque are you able to put onto the studs with the allen socket?

-gte
AIM me motherbitch
The center of the stud is an allen socket.
Supposedly ARP says to "hand tighten" the studs...so I'm assuming they don't need to be too tight with the allen key. I gots some questions on that though.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IS300GTE said:
btw, its ARP or Automotive Racing Products
-gte
Whatever. Engrish is my 5th language.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,619 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
IS300GTE said:
glad they finally changed that design

how much torque are you able to put onto the studs with the allen socket?

-gte
AIM me motherbitch
The center of the stud is an allen socket.
Supposedly ARP says to "hand tighten" the studs...so I'm assuming they don't need to be too tight with the allen key. I gots some questions on that though.
dude...this is a sore spot with me...a LONG time ago, my new heads came in and i was going to put them on for a race...i wasn't able to do this cause i was really busy...so my friends (plus my ex gf...she was my gf at the time...) said they could do it for me...i didn't want them to cause i wanted to do it myself...well, they INSISTED on doing it so it would be done in time for the race...well...one of the guys double nutted the top of the stud as so he could "torque" the stud into the head properly...i guess he didn't know about the diff between studs and bolts or something...he ended up cracking the block!!!

actually part of this story is in an OLD azz issue of turbo mag...i think it was a 96 issue...

anyway...so my point is...DO NOT make studs too tight...not even tighter than spark plugs... :p

man...some of the stories we have from back then...

uh oh...showing my age again huh??? :crazy:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top